Geforce 9xx - Windows XP drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by maxio, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    That's way off topic, but I don't support lumping everything into two categories, that is asinine. I will say if you were expecting a 'yes' then you would probably maybe be disappointed. A conservative view would be one that denounces change and sticks to legacy concepts though, so I'm not sure you thought that one all the way through ;)

To shift back on topic, what Seketh said.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. the truth

the truth Guest

GPU:
    several

So I like having 5-10 OS'es installed per rig, so what? It can never be a disadvantage or a problem, actually it's cool. It provides freedom, and one can compare Win generations
    and see how things have deteriorated since XP and turned into

retarded
    touchbased
    OS X wannabe
    dumbed down
    unfinished
    flawed
    bloatware.

I have 5 PCs in my home, some of them top notch, I can run any OS I want, but have used XP as primary choice since 2001 and will continue to until about 2020. For example, The Windows explorer in XP is far better than in Vista/7/8/10, and you have to install crap like Classic Shell in those to get slight functionality back.

... and generally, it's sickening to see how the vast majority always think newest is best. It's easy to be a mindless sheep in the flock. Try going against the stream and make your own choice instead of copycatting.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Who's copycatting ? - I use the OS I find the best, if XP was the best, Id use that, but it's not unless your machine is 15 years old

If people using the newest OS makes you feel sickened, it's a psychiatrist you need to see not a tech forum

I have no quibble with people running XP, but when you post 32GB RAM and XP 32 bit, and get your knickers in a twist and start insulting people when they question your reasons, then I have a problem with that

Cripple your machine all you like, the majority of us who for whatever reason feel the need to keep legacy crap installed, use a virtual machine

4. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Wow, this has to be the worst attempt at trolling of all time, or you are legitimately insane. I hope you are insane, then you would have a reason to make such ignorant statements that have no basis in reality.

5. the truth

the truth Guest

GPU:
    several
    what's wrong/ignorant about my statement?

6. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420

So I like having 5-10 OS'es installed per rig, so what? It can never be a disadvantage or a problem, actually it's cool. It provides freedom, and one can compare Win generations
    and see how things have deteriorated since XP and turned into

retarded
    touchbased
    OS X wannabe
    dumbed down
    unfinished
    flawed
    bloatware.

I have 5 PCs in my home, some of them top notch, I can run any OS I want, but have used XP as primary choice since 2001 and will continue to until about 2020. For example, The Windows explorer in XP is far better than in Vista/7/8/10, and you have to install crap like Classic Shell in those to get slight functionality back.

... and generally, it's sickening to see how the vast majority always think newest is best. It's easy to be a mindless sheep in the flock. Try going against the stream and make your own choice instead of copycatting.

Silly, baseless and ignorant statements. Vista was a bit bloated compared to XP and you really needed a bump in horsepower to equal the same performance early on, but 7/8/8.1 have steadily become less bloated, feature better power user functionality and overall work better and better on the same hardware.

Also how is an OS "retarded"? :wanker:

7. the truth

the truth Guest

GPU:
    several
    In this case, You're wrong, I am right.

Sometimes it's unpleasant to hear that the stuff you believe in isn't tha bomb.

8. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    :wanker: Alright, you are trolling. Thanks for the answer.

You're not THE Black Viper are you? You rocked in 2002!!

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Why do people have to be sheep just because they use something that you don't like, just because you hate it, it do not mean every one will. Just like you have the right to use as many or any os you want, Other people have the same right. Why was there a need to insult people and assume every one here is using something because some one told them to, when they made the choice them self to use it or whatever os they selected.

I made the choice to use windows 8.1 my self I did not follow behind some one else, It had features that I wanted and it performed better to me over windows 7. Also the Metro UI doesn't bother me at all, at first it did and i used Classic shell, but after a while, I got used to the metro ui and it became a norm for me to use it. Only reason I using windows 10 preview now is to try it out to see how it does. I have games that wont work in windows XP like DX10/11 only games. I also much rather have a newer os that have more security then the older one that not even supported any more.

I only have like one or maybe 2 that wont work in windows8.1/10 but then those need dos box to play or a source engine like Duke Nukem or Zdoom for Doom series.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This topic is pure gold and no longer on topic, mods should close this.

11. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    XP is dead and support for it should follow it to it's grave, alongside with people still using it.

12. the truth

the truth Guest

GPU:
    several

There's nothing wrong with using Vista7/8/10 etc. for specific tasks. I just said I prefer XP overall and will until about 2020 where the drawbacks probably will be to great.

For my situation and daily use, XP is the best choice, but like said, I use other OS'es too.

The performance under virtualization (VMware, Dosbox, etc.) will never be as good as the real thing, that's why I'd rather have a true install with full driver support.

For example, I still play BF1942 now and then. The performance under XP on a modern rig is far better than using other Win versions or virtualized.

There's something completely wrong with the majority's view on "old stuff". As soon as you mention tech that's about 5 years or older, all the fools freak out and call it antiquated, obsolete, a joke, etc. Apart from speed, size and compatibility old stuff sometimes have better tech on a logical level than new.

Some vital functionality present in XP was removed in Vista and upwards and never returned. Stuff like that is a crime by the devs and retarded, and when the public is blind to this and mock the ones that see it, then they're stupid sheep.

13. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    From what I've read you think we're sheep unless we follow your lead.

14. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Do you have some benchmarks to back this claim up? The difference in performance can't be substantial enough to really require XP being installed on new hardware with a new driverset.

I think you just REALLY like XP and base your "needs" on a very personal level that supersedes reality and you yourself are the blind sheep going down lifes path in an ignorant manner.

15. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I run XP in VMWare if some old game needs it. DX9 support is flawless, and around half of the GPU power of my main OS is available. The VMWare video driver is just a bit low on VRAM with fixed 128 MB, I wish they'd bump that up a notch. Then again, games that need more usually run fine under 7/8.

16. the truth

the truth Guest

GPU:
    several

Just tested BF1942 on the rig mentioned earlier under Win 7 and XP - all drivers and OS updates are up to date, and general settings and tweaks are roughly similar in both OS'es.

Framerate under XP is 75% higher and loading times about 100% faster.

This makes sense since the game was designed for XP. It wasn't designed to run in Win 8 compatibility mode, virtualized, etc.

Just an ultra-niche example, but still ... XP was the number one OS in the world from 2001 to 2007 (maybe even 2010 since Vista was/is crap) and most Windows games designed in that period just run better under XP

I think the bottom line here is that many of you feel provoked by the "outrageous" statement: Old is sometimes better than new, because you cling to the belief that new is almost always better than old.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    close this POS please

18. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    960s will be out when the 980/970 hype dies down and they have spare GPUs to make 960s with. So 2015. If the drivers still support WinXP (?) then GTX 960 should also support WinXP. You won't be able to take advantage of things like DX12 though with such an old operating system. In fact I think the last one it supported was DX9?
    Not sure why you are still on WinXP but upgrade on first opportunity.

19. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Seconded

20. countmurcie

countmurcie Member

GPU:
    AMD 5700
    to danfim

I dual-boot; XP and Windows 7 - 64 bits. If Microsoft ever decides to:

-Go back to making truly personalized / custom installation options which lets me choose only the applications / services needed; i hate bloat! I like IrfanView, ImgBurn, PotPlayer and utilities by Nir Sofer and Mark Russinovich.

-Lets the user switch between shell - business/professional or fancy, aka Metro.

-Makes an efficient file manager - XYplorer comes to mind.

Then count me in. But this doesn't seem to be the direction the company has chosen. Until then, XP is my OS of choice.

To the truth
    Just keep this thread alive by posting your findings about your experiences with your new toy and Nvidia XP drivers and ignore the noise. If you decide to continue to post in this thread try to include something like - Nvidia Maxwell GTX980 GTX970 GTX960 Windows XP drivers and games - to help search engines locate your post directly. It will help people like me decide to buy or not to buy this new generation of GPU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.