GCN replaced with polaris

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Barry J, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Interesting read

If this is the case then it will be the microarchitecture present in the Radeon 400 Series including the 'Greenland' GPUs.It confirms AMD plans for major technological upgrade next year. Graphics Core Next, a name that accompanied each GPU since 2011, will soon be replaced by Polaris.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/39559-amd-polaris-slide-leaked

I thought GCN was developed for DX12 looks like Polaris might be AMD's true DX12 hardware hope it is good and takes the fight to NVidia, NVidia has been to dominant lately and are becoming sloppy and lazy (drivers not as good as they used to be)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...-january-2016-amd-polaris-architecture,1.html

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  2. ThunderForce

ThunderForce Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4 MB
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Polaris will cover the entire 400 series of GPU's? It would be a good thing.

4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    So RIP GCN?.....

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Soon. I feel like both AMD and Nvidia played us when it comes to DX12. They will both do new architectures in 2016 which will probably be far superior to what we have now.

Talking about false marketing. And people still want DX12 support for Fermi cards, silly stuff.

6. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Calm your tits, Polaris is just GCN 2.0.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    NO

Fiji is the Last known GCN
    Polaris is the New Line of GPU's that will last at least 3-5 years :pc1:

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    As far as we know "Polaris" is as much GCN as "Fiji" was. Nicknames don't mean a lot of things. Efficiency wise GCN 1.2 reached its peak with the Nano, which is really giving 390x performance at an 175W TDP, thus basically reaching almost Maxwell levels of efficiency. I can see them tweaking it more, shrinking it to 14nm and you have Polaris alright.

EDIT: I just saw Raja Koduri's tweet about Polaris.
    "Raja Koduri Retweeted Chris Hook
    @Gchip Polaris is 2.5 times brighter today than when Ptolemy observed it in 169 A.D"

I'll put my tinfoil hat on and predict 2.5 times better performance per watt, and 16.9 billion transistors.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  9. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Liz Su actually talked a while back about their FinFET 2016 GPUs, and specifically named it GCN. Polaris is just a new marketing paint for it's new 16nm node since people become bored/wary of the GCN moniker. But from an architecture point of view, AMD would be stupid to discard it completely and start something from scratch. Future console generations would lose hardware backward-compatibility with PS4/Xbox One.

10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    The article isn't clear on what "polaris" actually is as it mentions "AMD presentation slide which refers to Polaris as the fourth generation of GCN." so, GCN 1.3 yet it also mentions "Graphics Core Next, a name that accompanied each GPU since 2011, will soon be replaced by Polaris." saying it'll replace GCN.

IMO, it's a bit of a trash article as it's all based on speculation and conjecture, it can easily be GCN 1.3/2.0, we can see it as a die-shrink of fiji, with new instructions/optimisations or we can see it as an altogether new architecture, we just don't have enough information to form a concrete conclusion.

For now, all we know is there is a new gpu coming out on 14nm that may have upto 2.5 times the performance of GCN 1.2. - This is the information that's important.

11. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    AMD such a Stupid company. They are making comparison of Maxwell and AMD GCN 4.0 in performance perwatt.

They should have waited for pascal than make these kind of comparison rather showing their desperation for DGPU market.
    [​IMG]

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    'Competition', very legit in terms of what it refers to :D

It's all just marketing talk... yes they have a new architecture, but what it will do we will see once it's around. Not much different from Nvidia claming marvellous gains (deep learning and stuff they mentioned) or naming their next architecture after Volta...

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i don't believe anything AMD says, they are the best at PR powerpoint sliders, but in reality nothing they promise comes out, or at least most of their promises never fulfilled.

2016 gonna be interesting, Polaris vs Pascal, SD820 and Chinese companies that will rule the smartphone world very soon... yea awesome.

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I just realised, to make their great point in polaris using less power, they used a system with an 4790K for testing. It just makes me grin and shake my head they didn't use any AMD CPUs...

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No, let's believe NVIDIA (or any other company for that matter). Why the fanboism? Most company PR sliders are accurate these days, the internet has seen to that. You have to be careful with the conditions they mention. Even if you take the shrink into account, 86W vs 140W is immense.

Most forget that lowering the process doesn't mean less power consumption automatically. Sometimes it might even mean MORE power consumption due to voltage leakage. One of the most interesting battles we'll see is going to be Global Foundries/Samsung vs TSMC for the 16/14nm GPUs. NVIDIA's design might be better (for all we know it could also be another GeForce FX, **** happens in all camps), but TSMC's process might be worse than GloFo/Samsung.

Don't be a fanboi, buy with your brain and DON'T buy unless BOTH companies have their new stuff out. Also, don't buy unless NVIDIA has their "Ti" product out.

As for the architecture not being GCN, it would invalidate their whole strategy right at the point where it starts working.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sure it does :)
    The actual product might not carry lower TDP due to higher tran count, but for the same perf you'll always get lower power consumption on smaller node.

It's been like that ever since... Nvidia invented GPU
    /runs-away
    /hides

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    qft.

18. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V

AMD is right that GCN 4.0 is a competition with Maxwell not pascal because if nvidia put Maxwell in a new node than it will really competitive with GCN 4.0 so leave Pascal alone.

That is what R&D shortage did to AMD.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    at least someone gets it

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Excatly, plus PR your are AMD fanboy, and honestly AMD disappointed a lot recently, they making big promises and failing almost all, and yes nvidia have their share of bad behavior, they disgust me too at times, Kepler downgrade was real very real, i had 780 back then.