FAHClient V7.3.4 released

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by PantherX, Feb 10, 2013.

1. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    From the official Thread:

2. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I hope they've solved the underperforming core problem 7.2.9 only wants to push my GPU's to 42% max instead of the 99~100% they should be doing

[​IMG]

3. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It is not the FAHClient that is the bottleneck, it is the FahCore. In your case, it is FahCore_16. However, work is being done and you can see this point in the release note for V7.3.4:

• Added new -gpu-vendor core option for upcoming Zeta core.
    plus, you can keep an eye on this thread at the Official Forum:
    New core will be under testing soon

Positive changes so keep an eye out :)

4. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    thanks PantherX it's good to know that something is being done as core_16 sucks hairy you know whats LOL I'll certainly keep an sharp eye on this from now on

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Hey PantherX or ian: I'm having HUGE discrepancies between my actual PPD and what the new web interface is suggesting I'm getting.

For instance, right now on one machine (the one in my sig), I'm getting 7078PPD as per the new web interface, but via HFM, it's showing as 18,099PPD.

Strange thing is, I'm actually pushing a higher PPD than I ever have before - I've never pushed over 160K in a 24 hour period, with my 24 hour average at just over 137,000.

So which one is right?
    The web interface (and subsequently the old "Advanced Control" interface), or HFM?
    And if the web interface and Advanced Control really is the correct number, then how to explain my higher-than-ever PPD across the board?

Psychlone

6. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I normally trust HFM.NET. However, the easiest way is to check what the PPD values are per slot and then compare them from the Web Control and HFM.NET. My guess is that maybe the Web Control is reporting the PPD of a single slot instead of both and HFM.NET is reporting for both.

Due to the changing nature of Projects, you might be luck to get high PPD WUs on all your Slots to get a higher than usual PPD.

If possible, do post some screenshots for the PPD values and maybe the initial section of the log so we can see what the system configuration and client configuration is.

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks PantherX. It actually just resolved itself - I don't know what was going on, but after a reboot and letting it set for a couple hours, the web interface is now showing 24K for my machine, which is more in line with what I've been receiving lately, AND coincides closer to what HFM is reporting.

Could be that something in my machine was holding up the correct PPD reporting process and it cleared itself after the reboot.

Thanks for the help.
    Psychlone

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    mind moving those gpu-z windows out of the way?

9. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Humm... I would chalk it up to a glitch somewhere. However, if you can reproduce this issue consistently, then it would be a bug so you might want to report it so that it will eventually be fixed.

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks - it hasn't returned yet, so maybe it was just something local on my own computer.

I do have a good question that I can't find an answer for though:
    Is there any single place that I can access ALL of my clients at the same time?

I really thought that by moving to a web interface, that one would be able to see every client that a person is running under a name and passcode.
    If it's not in the web interface yet, (and it doesn't look like it is) - it SHOULD be.
    I have 40-something clients now (I run a computer repair business and get a written statement from each customer that it's ok to run a F@H client on their machines - of course, only the machines that can run it decently are involved, but I do currently have over 25 working clients at any given time (and up to 46? in total)

It would be GREAT to see ALL of their work in one single place!!

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Psychlone

11. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    only if your willing to take the ban hammering it would cause :banana:

12. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    That's good to hear :)

Yes there is! It is called FAHControl/Advanced Control :) I am assuming that all the Clients are on the same LAN. If so, then you can easily configure FAHControl to monitor all the other clients so you can get a single Window which lists all the clients on your main system. I have used this method successfully with and here is a guide and here's another one :D Do note that you have to restart FAHClient for the effects to take place and it is preferred to have the same version of F@H installed across all the systems so that everything plays nicely together ;)

This initial release is aimed to new donors who aren't computer enthusists, just an average Joe ;) However, there are discussions about it with the development and hopefully something might be implemented. However, the current situation is that Web Control is for new users while the FAHControl/Advanced Control is for Experts.

WOW... that's an impressive number of clients. While we have tested on a couple of clients, I am not sure if we have tested that many number of clients so this is going to be interesting. I would suggest that you start adding one system at a time and see how well it scales up!

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the info PantherX, but I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I have 2 computers on my own LAN, but I have 46 clients in all.
    Let me explain:

I own a computer repair business, and as part of my repairs, I ask some of my customers if they'd be interested in being part of Folding. I explain what it is and get written permission from them to allow me to run a F@H client on their computer.

I install F@H on their computer with MY username and passcode. These computers do not exist on my network, they're on their own respective networks at each of their individual homes... I have no access to any of their LANs, nor do I want access to them.

What I would REALLY love to see is what all of my clients are doing. I have 25 running at any given time currently, and 46 (for now) as a maximum (likely some of those people turn their computers off at night).

I wouldn't think it would be hard to view what all the clients are doing since it's all logged at Stanford anyway. Every client that is running with my name and passcode should show up in one easy-to-read interface.
    I can see how many clients I have right from the "Donor Stats" page from the official Folding page here: http://fah-web2.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Psychlone

I'd like to see what each of those clients are pulling for PPD, so I'd know if there are some that aren't meeting deadlines or perhaps being shut off at night and not completing their tasks - armed with that information, I could schedule with the customer and physically change their F@H client settings on their computer to better reflect their own usage (for instance, if they're turning off their computer at night and the WU isn't being completed on time, then I could force smaller WUs so it turns smaller ones quicker and doesn't even pick up large WUs and waste Stanford's time.

Anyway, just to shed some light on my unique situation, I'm going to keep growing in clients by adding more and more over time, asking each for written permission and installing F@H on their computers with my own username and passcode.
    I'd just really like to see what they're all doing, and even though they're not all on the same network, it shouldn't be hard considering their ALL using the same username and passcode...

I suppose I could start my own group and monitor what all the clients are doing that way (sort of), but then I wouldn't be helping Guru3D be as awesome as we are!
    And besides, it's one of my personal goals to help Guru3D pass BYU. ;)

Thanks again,
    Psychlone

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  14. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Now that I have a better understanding of your situation, I might be able to point you in the right direction... hopefully :)

1) You may want to use HFM.NET and then use the Web Report feature for each computer. I don't have any experience but maybe you can experiment with it.
    2) You may also want to try FCI and view your clients performance but again, have no experience there.
    3) Assuming that IP Address won't change, you can still configure the monitoring via FAHControl but since it is over the internet instead of LAN, am not sure if it is secure enough or not.