Headphone talk

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FULMTL, Feb 23, 2013.

1. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    PS Audio Nuwave

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Not sure if this was posted, but the Head Fi Summer product guide was posted the other week.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-introduction

I don't like the way buddy writes his long reviews filled with "in my opinion", " to me","to my ears" dozens of times, but if the product is on there, it's a worth the purchase.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Hooray finally bought a new DAC/Amp!
    http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/

My Fiio E7 audio only works on one side after dropping it.. :( (OK, I lie, I dropped it many times) Had it for a few years, and was $60'ish, so that's OK.

Now I picked up a recently released JDS Labs C5D. I really wanted an ALO Island, but maybe next time, or if I can find it used.
    As you can see here, I'm testing out their laser engraving machine. Simple line art or bold shapes would look better, but I wanted something more unique. I realize that the image shouldn't have too many pure black areas.

http://imgur.com/a/cAiDU
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    ^ Congrats! ^

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Is that already engraved because it looks awesome if so!

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    You have the option for custom engraving, otherwise, it looks like the backside with just the logo. It's included in the price, so why not right?

By the way, what made me get the C5D was that JDS themselves said the sound is identical to the O2+ODAC. With the C5D, you get a cheaper price, portability, and custom laser engraving for $250, versus $280.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    check it these futuristic headphones displayed today made by Fostex and Good Smile Company (toy maker. New line named TOON WORKSHOP. Website under construction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This would be awesome if it wasn't plastic, but polycarbonate or polymer. Plastic will just snap in a year.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    You're to worried.

You should see the state my 10 year old Sennheiser HD650 is in. It looks like it has been to war and to hell and back at the same time. Yet I still get pristine sound lol.

The hardware inside seems to be able to far outlive the external components such as the headband. I've been using my HD650 pretty much every day for those 10 years.

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I have to be worried, I've broken $200 headphones in 4 days, and $300 headphones in a year. I just take the drivers out and put them in something more durable. Currently my Shure SRH940 drivers are in an unbreakable headphone body, but I want something that can fold flat to pack easier. I'll be picking up some VMODA headphones to use as housings soon.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Currently looking for a set of bluetooth in-ear headphones for work. Found the MM100's but wanted to get some more options.

11. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
  12. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I carry this around for work now...The sound quality from the Nexus is friggin excellent now. This combo sounds better than the DAC plugged into the laptop or desktop as the source. I need a right angle micro USB to right angle mini USB. Not even sure if that exists.

[​IMG]

13. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Very nice. :)

That should make for some incredible sound, for on the go.

Congrats.

I decided to give my Grado 225i a spin today....I put the flat pads on....this is the first that i have heard them with my new dac.....pretty impressive bass with the flat pads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has just been hard to take my HD800 off of my head .

14. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    The price of the HE-400's have dropped to $300 when the HE- 400i was released. I wonder if now is a good time to pick it up? I've heard them already, but what put me off was mostly the weight. But since it' so much cheaper now, I'm thinking of chopping off excess metal and going drillium style on it.
    Looking forward to hearing the HE-400i. It would then have to be a fight between that and the SRH1540 for my next big purchase. I did find the SRH1540 used for $400, but still holding out for less..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I just bought the Sennhieser i60 earbuds. Their ok for earbuds I guess, overpriced, I kinda liked the Bose better but they won't stay in my ears too well, but then again neither do these.

16. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Just wanted to pop in here and thank the guys who recommended the Fidelio X1s to me again. Had them close to 5 months now and love them more than ever. Really make a good tune listening session a whole event as opposed to background noise. I get super immersed in them.

Anyways I saw their price has gone up $50 since I got them.

EDIT: Meant to mention the Brainwavz M2. I got them for my girlfriend after reading lots of positive reviews. I certainly agree; I've been all about my Klipsch S4's the past couple years (Klipsch support is AMAZING - huge bonus), but these Brainwavz are better in just about every way.

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    So that was a blind buy for those 612's ?

18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have AKG 240MK2 which I really like. Was thinking about buying another pair of those if those eventually break. :)

From the headphones I have tested, it feels like that I will not be happy with anything other than Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000X. I really love those.

19. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    A three way comparison posted here would be great :)

20. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Edit, order cancelled.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014