PC / Driver Crashing when 4-Way SLI enabled

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JahPahZzZ, Nov 5, 2012.

1. JahPahZzZ

JahPahZzZ Guest

GPU:
    4-Way SLI GTX 670 2GB
    Hey guys, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section, actually I don't know if my problem is with the hardware, software or driver.

Well, I'm a proud owner of 4x GTX 670 2GB but unfortunately I can not take properly because my Nvidia Driver crash all the time when I'm playing or even when I'm watching videos. Sometimes the Driver just Crash and the sound freezes, other times Nvidia Driver crashs and the monitor can't find signal but the sound continues.

Mobo: Rampage IV Extreme (high precision event timer off / using extra power alimentation plug)
    CPU: 3930K
    PSU: Enermax MaxRevo 1500W (voltages OK)
    Driver: 310.33 beta and 306.97 WHQL

Temps are okay too (Watercooled System).

What I tried:

- I tested ALL the possible combinations to find the problem's source.
    All the 4 GPUs are working with no problems when running Single GPU or even 2-Way SLI, but when running 3-Way or 4-Way the driver always crashs, some times in about 15 minutes, sometimes with 45 minutes.

- I tried flash all the 4 gpus with the same updated BIOS (80.04.31.00.70) but the problem still persists.

- decreased Core Clock
    - increased GPU voltages

All the drivers are up to date and using Windows 8 x64 - although the problem also happens with Win 7.

sorry for my english.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Did you use a 6pin to the mb?
    How hot are the cards getting?
    Did you try to bring system ram speeds down test?

You test cards at load and psu voltage.

3. JahPahZzZ

JahPahZzZ Guest

GPU:
    4-Way SLI GTX 670 2GB
    - Yes
    - Around 46ºC FullLoad
    - Yes, 1333mhz, but right now i'm using the XMP mode - 2400mhz are the stock speeds.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I answered this in the 310.33 driver thread as well:

As it works ok for some time and then fails, it could be a memory leak of any application/program or heat.

Blow a large housefan at your graphics cards and see if it improves.

Check if any process reaches 2GB memory space or if your swapfile sees a lot of activity, be sure to monitor all processes.

Its also possible that you are running out of video memory and are encountering a bug causing a crash.
    Check video memory use with MSI Afterburner.

5. JahPahZzZ

JahPahZzZ Guest

GPU:
    4-Way SLI GTX 670 2GB
    Ty for the reply

But as I said, I use WC system and temps never go over 48~49ºC. I'm not running out of memory neither.

Pics with MSI:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lately I've played the new NFS MW and I'm still having problems even with the low gpu usage. :(

I used MSI Afterburner 2.2.5 and latest EVGA Precision X.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There are other things than the GPU on the gfx cards that get hot, you may not be watercooling everything.
    Blow a fan at the cards and see if it helps.

I only get about 60% GPU use on NFS MW with a single GTX580 and get almost constant 60fps.
    It still looks jerky at times though, with momentary dips below 60, its CPU limited at times.
    Or is there some other problem you are having, you didnt say what?

7. JahPahZzZ

JahPahZzZ Guest

GPU:
    4-Way SLI GTX 670 2GB
    What I mean is that even with "low" gpu use - as with NFS MW or watching 1080p videos - I still have the same problems (driver crash).

By the way, all my 670's are reference model and this is my fullcover waterblock:

EK FC670 GTX: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/vga...force-gtx-6x0-series/ek-fc670-gtx-nickel.html

VGA: ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 670
    ZT-60301-10P
    http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page...6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100288&lang=un

I already put some fans on each vga and my case is wide open but the problem persists. :bang:

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Try resetting your CMOS.

Put a multimeter on the 12V rail to each gfx card and write down the voltage.
    Do this with single cards (only one card in the system, but test each card) and then in 3 or 4 card SLI.
    Note the difference in voltage between idle and full load (say running Heaven) for each single card and all cards when in SLI.
    Report back with the voltages.
    Dont use the motherboard or gfx card voltage monitoring software, there is no guarantee it is reliable, use a multimeter.

You can try installing a fresh copy of Windows on a spare hard drive and see if the problem persists.
    If it works, you know it can be fixed in software.
    If the problem persists, this is of little help.

If you get stuck for ideas or have some free time, strip the whole machine down and rebuild it.
    Give all the connectors a clean/dust out.
    You never know.

9. JahPahZzZ

JahPahZzZ Guest

GPU:
    4-Way SLI GTX 670 2GB
    Hey Mufflore, think I solved the problem!

Today I uninstalled the 310.33 beta drivers and the Asus AI Suit II, upgraded the motherboard bios to lastest version (3101). Then I installed the nvidia 306.97 WHQL again... Now everything seems working fine!

By the way, I was suffering with that problem since Windows 7 and I use a fresh Windows 8 copy now.

If I have any future problem, I'll come back to post here.

Thank you so much for your attention and help!

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Cool, complex stuff at times!
    Glad you sorted it.