How many of you think Hillary Clinton will become the next US President???

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by viren, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The system doesn't really work. That's the problem.

In the case of this election, in the unlikely event (and statistical improbability) of a tie....or even a loss, it's unlikely that Trump won't call for a recount in at least 1 state that he loses. It would almost have to be a complete runaway in Clinton's favor for Trump not to challenge the election results. He's already stated that the only way he can lose is if it's rigged. How a normal Presidential election works, and how this one is likely going to work, are very different. Nothing has been normal about this one yet....

2. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Well, the system does work. Perhaps just not how you would like. Candidates themselves cannot contest electoral votes. An objection must be made to the President of the Senate (who is the Vice President of the country, currently Joe Biden) and must be signed by at least one senator and one member of the House. After debate both the House and Senate must vote to reject the contested electoral votes. Not withstanding, the Supreme Court can get involved.

This is nothing compared to the election of 1801. From Wikipedia:

"Over the course of seven days, from February 11 to 17, the House cast a total of 35 ballots, with Jefferson receiving the votes of eight state delegations each time—one short of the necessary majority of nine. During the contest, Hamilton recommended to Federalists that they support Jefferson because he was "by far not so dangerous a man" as Burr; in short, he would much rather have someone with wrong principles than someone devoid of any.[9] Hamilton embarked on a frenzied letter-writing campaign to get delegates to switch votes.[12]

"On February 17, on the 36th ballot, Jefferson was elected. Federalist James A. Bayard of Delaware and his allies in Maryland and Vermont all cast blank ballots. This resulted in the Maryland and Vermont votes changing from no selection to Jefferson, giving him the votes of 10 states and the presidency. Bayard, as the sole representative from Delaware, changed his vote from Burr to no selection.[3] The four representatives present from South Carolina, all Federalists, also changed their 3–1 selection of Burr to four abstentions."

Jefferson was elected. Burr then shot and killed Hamilton.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Did you miss the 2000 Election when the popular vote in Florida was recounted several times? Florida's electoral votes are decided by their popular vote. Gore contested the popular vote count in Florida in an attempt to win their electoral votes.

I say the system does not work because, theoretically, it shouldn't be possible for 1 candidate to get the majority of the popular vote, while another candidate wins the election. If the system worked properly, that would not be possible. However, in at least 4 instances, the President elect did not receive the majority of the popular vote. Essentially, the electoral college voted against the stated will of the people.

4. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Have you read or at least looked over the Constitution?

Edit: in the 2000 election Gore requested a recount under Florida law, not federal law. As I said above, the states have different laws about how electors are chosen.

Candidates cannot challenge how electors vote. That is federal law, not state law.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Look at china and how their government censor, it looks like the USA does it but in a different fashion, because the citizens only feed with lies and denial to cover up the corruption.

which they either believe or in denial that their once grate country is being owned by corruption.

if you want to find out how it ever came to this, I guess they would need to go back and study their government system to see at which point did the corrupt deals start becoming the norm.

to me the good old USA has lost it's way and needs a Real Government who cares for the good of the people and country, because it looks more like it's run/controlled by corrupt Business deals that's good for them not it's people.

if people cant see corruption is rife then well, either don't want to hear the truth or rather turn a blind eye, example, H. Clinton now everyone is turning a blind eye to her lies.

it's ok she lies and get caught they fine with that. now don't be shocked to hear corruption is rife when your willing to accept people in government to run your once grate country with those standards.

having the best arms, weapons etc does not make a country grate.

6. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Well, Honest Abe's not running this year, and quite a few people didn't like him too.

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I'm gutted for USA, it's citizens are grate people, back in the 80's I met two black guy's from one of the bases here in the UK, they joined my mates local basketball team.

Mike and Frenchy are two of the funniest most genuine people I have ever met, used to have such a laff, very kind and welcoming people, who would go out of their way to help you if they could.

It's a shame we all lost contact when they went back, truly gutted, grate people to be around.

it's just a crying shame that these type of people (meaning the USA citizens) who are honest, loyal and an truly fine example of what I think are decent people, are governed by People who care more about denial and lies.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    USA has quite a bit of corruption, there's no doubt about it. It looks like (at least to me) the corruption is happening in rather vital areas though which is rather sad.

Interesting stuff (corruption rankings):
    [​IMG]
    http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015
    I wonder what will happen this year though...

9. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    it's like I have said It's not just the USA citizen's who should be worried, but the whole world, with a country that wields such global power the last thing the rest of the world need to hear is:

well it's come down to the USA citizens having to vote for one or the other lesser evils.

To me it's like WTF really! their own citizens are not even happy with the choices they have !

don't they realise it's a vote to give an awful lot of power because it feels more like a poxy reality TV show based on smiles, money (funding), and lies.

I cant get my head wrapped around how the feck this whole thing has not been given a no confidence vote by all if they say them self an "The Lesser Evil"

maybe they should be renamed to the TLE party ?

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    White areas/countries aren't included. ;)

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    What a brilliant show that was. It was funny because it was true!

12. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    The DNC Delegates picked Hillary, despite Bernie getting more votes in early elections. At least that how it was here in New Hampshire.

Results of the vote...

Bernie Sanders 151,584 60.4%
    Hillary Clinton 95,252 38.0%

Hillary won at the convention. Go figure.

13. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Primaries are more (needlessly) complex than the general election. You cannot draw a direct comparison.

Also if dems are so quick to rig an election, how do republicans have full control of congress? Won't those republican representatives cry foul if things are so blatantly rigged in Hillary's favor? Why has not a single other public official (including his own running mate) agreed with Trump's claim that the election is being stolen from him? A tiny bit of critical thinking shows that rigging the general election is not possible.

14. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I was responding to the notion that 'the people are the ones who picked these two'. That plainly was not true regarding the Dems in the NH Primary.

I agree about the difficulty/unlikelihood of such a thing occurring, though it does make me wonder if there may be another reason for Trump bringing up the possibility. To quote ex-Speaker Foley, "The seriousness of the charge mandates that we investigate this.". Just bringing it up as a possibility focuses more attention regardless of the likelihood.

15. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    As a Bernie supporter it frustrates me and shows the system needs to be changed. It is an old and complex system, but I don't believe there was much if any *****.

The only reason he has brought it up is because he is loosing and he is a sore looser. That is it. Looking any deeper into it is giving him WAY too much credit.

16. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    The Press has had a habit of focusing on the things that Trump brings up. What follows is occasionally useful public conversation before the spin gets baked in.

Besides... Trump might be (or not be) a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them.

17. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Stupid maybe not unhinged when things don't go his way for sure.Which has an effect of him saying stupid things so maybe you can see where the stupid part comes from.I'll lay odds there isn't one successful lawsuit against any of the women that came forward if there's any at all.

18. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I agree that he tends to say whatever pops into his head. Some self-filtering would be really helpful.

I suspect that will be both 'against' and 'for'.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    A lot of people disagree with that. The birther movement he started was stupid, discrediting the entire democratic system is stupid, along with many other things he has done during his campaign.

20. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    They are entitled to their opinion.

Seems like all four 'major' candidates this cycle have a records of bone-headedness. Hillary just hides it better than the others. That is my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.