390 vs 970x

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by IchimA, Oct 26, 2015.

1. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Ok quys right now I want to buy one video card and I am bettwen this two ... the R9 390 ... normal one not the X version and the 970 Gtx - I play on a Full HD monitor , with will be better for me ! ?

Also ... I have noticed that the ATI always has better colors ... anyone thinks the same !? I always alternate between ati and Nvidia ... and I find that the Ati has better color reproduction ...

Best requards,
    Ichim Andrei

2. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    they have similar performance. but the 390 is more future proof because of the 8gb vram, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJEfXVxNbzr8uHScJGCufFZ7R-FATPJBs (not advertising just found these videos useful) here are some videos of performance of gtx 970 vs 390.

3. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    I have wondered that too IQ feels better with amd. Might be plasebo. :)

4. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    I don;t think it's placebo ! I am no fan of neither ... maybe HH can confirm or infirm this ! or someone with two graphic cards on the bench !

5. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    Nvidia lowers quality to compete in benchmarks its been known for a while.

Even 660ti video's showed it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY0iFojEKRU

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah, they're pulling a Volkswagen. Cheating testing ;).

I guess Nvidia have been doing it for longer, so technically Volkswagen have been pulling an Nvidia!

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Funny that, I still remember all the AF texture reviews with the 6xxx series and the 7970 release driver getting ahead with low IQ. Guess they're all just pulling an AMD/Ati.

Also where's the lower quality?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Seems nvidia is the only evil I guess. Though they developed dsr for all dx 11 cards while amd tried to tie vsr to the 280x while the same 7970 did not have a fictitious "scaler" and was not supported, until somebody came up with a reg hack that enabled vsr for more cards. Anybody remember the thread with amd matt?

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Had a 660, 7970 and now a 970 all in a very short time span. didn't notice any color image quality differences.

as for the 390 vs 970, they have similar performance in most titles, with the 390 being a tad faster if you look at the usual reviewer site games only. Makes sense since it was released later and its goal is to combat the 970. it also has more vram, which is for now useful in 5 titles at most, and it's uncertain if it will be useful before the card runs out of power to run games at max anyway.

970 consumes less power, overclocks better, has overall better features, especially custom AA in dx9 titles, HBAO+, shadowplay, etc.

Also, AMD can be spotty with very new titles that aren't picked up by GPU review sites.

An example is the u4 engine game "the park" where a 970 is faster than any AMD card, including the fury x for some reason.

So it all depends on what you are playing. if it's just the most popular triple AAA titles, go for the on average, faster, possibly more future proof 390. Do note that in some games, AMD cards have higher cpu usage than nvidia cards as well.

If you play a lot of different games older and newer, do a lot of game video recording, and like more AA and AO options in a wider variety of games, get the 970.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  10. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Thank you all , i just ordered a Asus StriX 970 GTX hope it will be good , and trying not to remember the 3.5Gb Fiasco .... now proud owner of one :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

11. vancook

vancook Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8 GB
    I THINK r9 390 is better in some games and in 4k resolutions

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The color quality difference between AMD and NVIDIA could actually have a simple explanation: pixel format.
    At least when connecting to monitor with HDMI, AMD driver selects YCbCr pixel format as default rather than RGB.

YCbCr usually gives more vibrant colors than RGB. Plus IIRC NVIDIA uses reduced scale RGB by default (with HDMI) which may lead to washed out image on full scale monitors (black level).

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If it defaults to limited range you can change it from Nvidia CP easily these days.

14. Asisvenia

Asisvenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
    970 would be good choice. 390 consuming more more power and 970 because of Maxwell has really good o.c potential. You can increase your gpu clock around 1400-1425mhz..

15. TeGarchoFF

TeGarchoFF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo
    Seeing this thread broght back from the dead, well, as an old man I don't wish history to be twisted. 'they're just pulling an nVidia' is correct, as I remember the Half-Life 2 FX nVidia's fiasco, when nVidia was lowering IQ at driver level in order to get better framerates.

As Gabe Newell said:

'As you can tell from looking at the list in the slide above, Newell was concerned particularly with some of the techniques NVIDIA has used in recent driver releases, although he didn't exempt other graphics hardware makers from his complaints. He said they had seen cases where fog was completely removed from a level in one of Valve's games, by the graphics driver software, in order to improve performance. I asked him to clarify which game, and he said it was Half-Life 2. Apparently, this activity has gone on while the game is still in development. He also mentioned that he's seen drivers detect screen capture attempts and output higher quality data than what's actually shown in-game.'.

http://techreport.com/review/5636/valve-steamed-over-nv3x-performance

16. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I had two 970's in sli, good cards but i could see sli was going to be bottle necked by the 3.5gb ram partion, so sold them.

The 390 i feel is the better choice if your not bothered about it power use.

I have now have the 390X in my system and been happy with its performance as a single card, although thats mainly because it only cost me £160 so nothing to moan about lol.

17. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    nvm.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  18. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    oh the necros

19. Twiddles