Hooking up 2nd Desktop PC to Router....

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Pigchild, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I have my Netgear Nighthawk Router with my Comcast Modem in my room and my PC connected to #1 out Eithernet router port to my PC. No issues and I'm getting about 80Mbps down and 12 Up speed. The problem is upon running a 50 foot long Eithernet cable out of this Routers Port #2 and directly into My Sons Desktop PC, I can not get him online.

I tested port #2 and it's fine. My Router is showing my Sons PC is connected but he's not able to get online. The Eithernet cable I'm running to his Desktop PC is 50 Feet long. Is that too long a run from my Router?

He has a wireless card in his desktop and he's getting a solid & Fast Wifi connection, but it will not connect using Eithernet cable.
    I tested the 50 foot Eithernet cable and it is testing fine. Is there some kind of Windows Internet setting I need to change on his Desktop PC to get him a hard line connection from my router?

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    50 ft is fine Cat5 can go 300 ft technically do you have only the 2 ports?You sure the computer isn't trying to use the wireless connection still?Did you try disabling the wireless while you test?

3. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I will check that. Thanx.

4. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    No... Still getting no Ethernet connectivity to the 2nd desktop. When I try to click connect to broadband connection from 2nd desktop PC it just pops up "Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If your ethernet port on the desktop is enabled in bios you shouldn't have to click to connect it should just do it.If you are sure it's enabled try rebooting the router with it connected to the 2nd pc.Plus you do have the drivers installed for the lan port although 7 has most of them without having to install them?Just throwing things out there right now.Check in Device manager and see if there is any yellow triangle for the the ethernet.

6. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I have ruled out a few things... I took my 4 year old Windows 7 Laptop which has never been used on this home routers connection, then shut down Wifi in the Laptop and upon plugging in that 50 foot cable off the 2nd router port I had instant fast internet connectivity on the Laptop. So I know the line is good and I know my router settings are all good.

It has to be something not set properly in my Step Sons desktop computer. I will check in the Bios to ensure his Ethernet port is enabled. I'm not trying to set up for Network sharing or anything like that. Just trying to get this HP desktop of his to pick up off my router. He had a cheap old Netgear router connected to it and working just 6 days ago so I know his PC network adaptor is functional:bang: