Problem with HDT CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SentinelAeon, Jul 26, 2017.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hey, using xigmatek HDT-S1283, on i5 2500K 4.0Ghz@1.250V in prime95 i get 65-70C. Which is fine, i guess. Both cpu and heatsink are lapped, TIM is arctic MX-2, applied as it should be, fan is slow spinning 120x120mm, spinning up to 1300rpm (its speed doesnt make that much of a difference on temp really), 2 intake fans for good airflow. But what really bothers me and bothered me even on E6400, Q6600, with this cooler is the fact that heatpipes, fins and even the bottom aluminum parts are barely warm.
    Heatpipes on my gpu are very very hot when graphic card is at 70C. Laptop heatpipes of all laptops i ever owned were unpleasant even when laptop cpu was at 50C.
    Now the question here is, how is it possible that this heatsink is cold even when cpu is hot ?

Now the obvious answer would be, there is a bad contact between heatsink and cpu, therefor not much heat comes with the heatpipes, fan disposes of it easily, therefor the whole part is barely warm. That is the first thing that came to mind but i think that if it really was the bad contact, i would get a lot higher temperatures (temps aren't bad for this heatsink i think ..).

I would be gratefull if you help me solve this mistery, it is killing me. Why is the cooler cold when it should be hot ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    When I install a HDT cooler. I apply the thermalpaste in a X pattern to cover all the heat pipes. If you use the classic rice size drop doesn't cover all the surface.

Are you sure that the cooler don't have any physical damage on the heatpipes ?

P.D: My 666 post :devil:

3. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Paste is applied as should be. The outer pipes have a little dent in corners because i5 2500k was concave before i lapped it. Inner pipe has no dent. As far as temp goes they are all the same. I used a temp gun to measure and the pipes are about 30C when the cpu is 68C. 30C is ambient temperature. Legs of the cooler are 50C. Right now i5 2500K 1.3V 4.2Ghz gives me 68C max after 8 hours of prime95.

I checked online and temps of my cooler are ok it seems or at least close to ok. So the only question that remains is: How the hell is it possible that the heatpipes have same temperature as my computer case ?? This is just not possible unless they are somehow insulated.