AMD Catalyst Performance Patch For Legacy GPU(s) <HD 4000 and Lower> (17/JAN/2013)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ankinferno, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    AMD Catalyst Performance Patch For Legacy GPU(s) <HD 4000 and Lower> (17/JAN/2013)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Moded the AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 for the Legacy GPUs to attain maximum performance but because of low connectivity speed I cannot upload the Modded
    driver package, but I'm uploading the best performance patch for the AMD Legacy GPUs.

This will surely increase the gamming speed, gaurenteed.
    No need to Uninstall the Old driver Just Copy in the System :)

<AND RESTART the system after Copying the modded files>

NOTE : Maximum Performace can be obtained with this patch by using the Anti-Aliasing and AnIsotropic Filtering From the CCC.
    && For HD 4xxx series, the Shadow maping is most GPU intensive so Try to keep LOW SHADOW mode in all Games to Gain Maximum Performance

Download Link : (Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - x64 ONLY)

>> 64Bit Modded Files Download Link <<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---

Download Link : (Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - x32 ONLY)

>> 32Bit Modded Files Download Link <<

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features in Performance patch Driver files :

WDDM 1.1 Feature Levels Supported = 10.1,10,9.3,9.2,9.1,9
    Open GL Maximum support and Highest FPS in OGL benchmarks
    Full OpenCL Support Extracted from Catalyst 12.8.
    Direct Compute Supported.
    DXVA Playback Supported.
    GPU Performance Support in Photoshop.
    AVT supported.

Installation Procedure :

** FOR x64 bit OS Users:

Download the x64 bit Modded Package.
    Extract the componnents,

Then either replace them in the 'System32' & 'Syswow64' folder of the Windows Drive, OR rename these files (present in your harddisk) to something else and copy these files there .

Example:

Extract the "AMD_Performance_Patch_LegacyHD_AnkX_x64bit.rar", and you will find 2 folders named "system32" & "Syswow64".

Now go to the Windows system32 folder (i.e.. "C:\windows\system32" in my case) and rename these files to something else :

atidxx32.dll TO atidxx32_old.dll
    atiumdag.dll TO atiumdag_old.dll

Then simply put the modded files in the main system32/syswow64 folder of your System Drive.

MAKE SURE TO COPY ALL THE MODDED FILES.. then Restart :)

------------- ----------------------- ---------------------- -------------------

** FOR x32 bit OS Users:

Download the x32 bit Modded Package.
    Extract the componnents,

Then either replace them in the 'System32' folder of the Windows Drive, OR rename these files (present in your harddisk) to something else and copy these files there .

Example:

Extract the "AMD_Performance_Patch_LegacyHD_AnkX_x32bit.rar", and you will find a folder named "system32".

Now go to the Windows system32 folder (i.e.. "C:\windows\system32" in my case) and rename these files to something else :

atidxx32.dll TO atidxx32_old.dll
    atiumdag.dll TO atiumdag_old.dll

Then simply put the modded files in the main system32 folder of your System Drive.

MAKE SURE TO COPY ALL THE MODDED FILES.. then Restart :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guies Plz share your gamming Experience if you notice any change (Bad/Good)

Special Thanks :
    kevsamiga1974
    dellon132
    & every other member of the forum who helped me out in understanding the driver functioning. Thank U. :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    The DirectX 9 Driver for 64Bit OS performs well on my end after overclocking graphic card. Did you prepare them to reduce lag?

3. greghostor

greghostor New Member

GPU:
    RTX 9080 Ti Super
    I waiting official from amd

4. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Keep waiting :p

5. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    Not actually to reduce lag, but the optimizations are mainly done in order to have a proper memory access from the GPU RAM, even I was able to overclock a 10 MHZ more on both GPU core and Mem, with this modification.

The files are edited, keeping various old drivers for the LEGACY GPUs as reference and 12.11 as the main file.

6. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    aaaaaaaa... U kidding me ..?? :D

AMD's not geting the proper time for creating the drivers for the HD 7xxx series an you a hoping that they will think about the LEGACY !!! :3eyes:

I don't think so... :roll:

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Respect for trying to mod, but have you considered that, You are modifying drivers without proper code path for pre HD 5000:
    - which does not have any platform related optimizations for HD 4000 and lower
    - any bug fixes for HD 4000 and lower
    - benefit mainly from game related fixes/optimizations

I did practically same with nV GF4 MX440 to force Quadro driver, which gave boost and allowed better OC.

Later on HD5870m I used FirePro drivers where I was actually aware of using completely different code path. It yielded better visual results. In some games performance was better, in some worse. In OpenGL applications I got big increase of performance. And unlocked MLAA which was atm locked from regular mobility drivers. But I got few bugs and glitches with it too.

There is another thing to consider. It's people who will use your driver. Some will simply break their drivers because they will not replace files correctly.

Now What I wonder is: Is it collection of files from different revisions which you considered to be best? Or have you actually disassembled and modified code?

8. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    You partly answer your own question buddy,
    "- benefit mainly from game related fixes/optimizations", that's what has been incorporated with the already optimized HD 4000 series driver.

and Its not a collection, All Games run on 32 bit environment no matter you have a 64bit OS but games use the 32 bit files for running, so if you look at my package carefully, I have used nod modified driver files for 64 bit operations BUT , all 32 bit files has been MODDED.

Now in terms of modding, I have edited the old driver's coding to implement the new fixes from the 12.11 driver files, and let the Hardware optimization settings to the same as the Older HD 4xxx series driver files, and more the hardware optimizations has been compiled from multiple drivers so as to possibly create the proper access to memory by changing the Microprocessor coding.

9. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Ignore the bitching monkeys, Fine job, brilliant !

I need to test it some more as is too early since I tried it and too late in the night, I'll let you know if I find any problems.

A few questions...

Do we have to use the given 64-bit files for best performance for this "patch" or can we use any we want ?

I noticed the 64-bit DX9/10 files are from 12.4b, is there any particular reason why 12.6's 64-bit files are not used instead ?

Do we have any more crossfire profiles that were added in the drivers since 12.6 by using these modded versions, say to 12.11 b11 level ?

Many questions I know but if you don't ask you don't know anything...

From what I see so far OpenGL components are working good...too late to start playing games now at this time lol.

Cheers, K. :thumbup:

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This is what I wanted to see in 1st post. People should know what they are getting and that you gave a lot of effort into it. :)

11. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M

Ok 1st Answer, :

Its not Mandatory to use these 64bit files BUT what I have figured out, is the Performance of the games is a bit dependent on the 64bit file, HOW - here it is, the 64 bit files accommodate buffer memory and some more stuffs to the use of the OS and DWM, so The resources left for the game is eaten up a bit by the OS working.
    So I saw that these 64 bit components were comparatively using less resources for the OS and providing more for the Games, hence I used these. BUT, I repeat again, ITS not MANDATORY. :)

2nd Answer, :

I guess the 1st answer describes the 2nd question ha ha :D

Found the x64bit file 12.4 to be much less resource Hungry

3rd Answer, :

well Crossfire optimizations has been changed after 12.6 BUT, I guess they are for 5xxx and above , again BUT might help in LEGACY GPU's also, BUT BUT ha ha, frankly speaking I did not study thoroughly about the Crossfire portions :( ,, Last BUT, I will try to find optimizations for crossfire also,, :boozer: . I need a testing CF system then... :D

Additional INFO :

I found that performance of games and long term playing is very much dependent on the 2D file system i.e atikmdag.sys also, well I have not included the sys file that I'm Using because of again that Driver signing problem, but here is the version of atikmdag.sys file that I'm using
    '8.1.1.1234'.

Hmm I went for heavy GPU stress test for around 8 Hrs Continuous (Crazy right !! :D) , but did not face BSOD or any artifacts.. even I see I'm having Low GPU heat than the earlier drivers that i modified . .

LASTLY - Its really difficult to create or EDIT a driver that would perform excellently on all GPU systems, But for now.. Its OK

EDIT: And you know Kev, I tested with these files on my HD 7900 and got a very bad result.. massive performance loss, and from the POV I can say that
    HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx series will not get much performance improvements in the upcoming further AMD driver updates, because of the Architecture difference. They may improve the specific game optimizations a bit and will not assign them as legacy because of DX11 support, but No performance Update will be seen for the HD 5 & 6 ..

12. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    Yes, its really brain firing ( :paranoid: ) bro.. but still i like it ...

just donno how many days I can continue,, Time Crisis :formal:

13. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    nice job body
    i hope you make cooperation with kevsamiga1974 dellon132 to make the best hd 4000 series drivers
    and for mlaa the only working driver with all games hd 4000 is catlayst 12.10 modded
    and i hope you add minimal overclock memory frequency to 600 mhz instead 750 mhz because my gpu crash and when do it with other tools at 600 mhz when restart pc return default at 993 mhz because 600 mhz is not supported by catalyst only 750 mhz

and plz you do secondary research about to make fake hd 4000 as dx 11 supported and to support wddm 1.2 win 8 like HD acceleration amp c++ hh i know easy to say hard to do
    tnx a lot ^^

for far cry 3 on my hd 4850 notice no performance gain and i must install again cap 2 or no need ?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I should imagine the 68xx crossfire optimisations in the drivers post 12.6 will help 4K series if you can find what they are up to. Since the cards are VLIW5 architecture too like the 4K series unlike others that are VLIW4 and GCN.

Really this is one of the main things missing in having no new drivers...

ie, support for profiles in the drivers post 12.6 for crossfire. Single cards arn't sufferering half as much if at all from the Catalyst chop, but games like eg. Farcry 3 on 4K crossfire systems although playable are now suffering due to no optimisations since we are almost a year behind the times.

15. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    Very interesting project. I am open to some testing and benchmarking if needed...

16. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    Absolutely friend, I will be happy to see what changes does your GPU get by these modded files ..

Plz post any benchmarks and test results if U have.

Thnx

17. ekaiiscool

ekaiiscool Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD4650
    Hey, just wondering if there is a way to tell if the modded drivers are active. I dont know how they COULDNT be, as I backed up all files in sys32, then copied the new ones over.

Running FurMark (which is openGL based), I get almost zero performance increase. I have yet to try games, but my monitor #2 is still flickering (had instability issues before in that monitor)
    Edit: OK ran planetside 2 in what I can only describe as not BETTER framerate, but MUCH more consistent.
    it DID however, still get the old APPCRASH.:bang: guess its back to windows XP32 for me..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  18. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    First of all, did you copy all the files..?? I mean all of them (dont leave any of them)

Secondly, did you restart after copying. ?

and Last.. You are doing a wrong Over clocking bro.

Dont Increase the core too much, its of no use for HD 4000 series rather it will increase pressure on the card and make it heated up more quickly.

Best OC is increase the MEM to around 767 (My HD 4650 mem is 867)
    and core to 567 (My HD 4650 is 647)

In newer cards the Mem speed is very high so they dont need to OC the MEM anymore they increase their CORE , but for Older cards Increasing mem will result in higher FPS..

19. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    I'll just see what Kevsamiga has to say about those new drivers. Followed his advice, using his drivers and everything works amazing. I'm not that much of a pro so if he says to go for a it (running a crossfire of 4870), then i'll just give it a try!

Thanks for your work man! :]

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I know that on cards such as 4870x2, memory bandwidth is already massive, so you will get more performance by overclocking the core instead of memory which is simply a waste of time.

But on 5 year old cards I don't overclock at all. Don't want to push my luck with them, most people that had one has usually died by now by overclocking the crap out of it.

I've always been of the belief with gfx cards to just buy another if the one you have isn't cutting it and don't overclock.

Although I believe overclocking the cpu is quite ok as long as you have a decent PSU and motherboard and not some pile of junky components.

And as long as you can get it stable in IBT without some ridiculous voltage/temp.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013