need some info on the following settings ...

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by pu§hy, May 14, 2001.

1. pu§hy

pu§hy Guest

decrease it further ... so -2.5 or -3 for example? whats the hex value for those numbers?<br>
    <br>
    have u tried playing those games i mentioned with -2 lodbias? is it automatic that when u set ur lodbias at -2 ALL ur d3d games will have flickering probs? or it depends on ur games?<br><br><i>This message was edited by pu§hy on 18 May 2001 09:07 AM</i>

2. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    Problems depend on the game <b>and</b> your ability to notice the flickering.<br>
    <br>
    In the Release 10 there's a new OpenGL extension:<br>
    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias<br>
    <br>
    In Serious Sam these drivers make the option of texture lod from menu work, as opposed to the 6.xx that are unable to use that option. I didn't really used that option as the game has another one for texture clarity. <br>
    But i think it has to be game supported, you can't just force it on all games as in D3D.<br><br><i>This message was edited by Kakaru2 on 18 May 2001 04:37 PM</i>

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

pu§hy <br>
    <br>
    &gt; decrease it further ... so -2.5 or -3 for example? whats the hex value for those numbers?<br>
    <br>
    Open PowerUser page, Hold &lt;Ctlr&gt; and press "Open matched Detonator database" button. Default.rtd database will be opened. Select LODBiasRange, right click on it and press &lt;Help&gt; button from context menu (or just press F1). <br>
    <br>
    &gt; have u tried playing those games i mentioned with -2 lodbias? is it automatic that when u set ur lodbias at -2 ALL ur d3d games will have flickering probs? or it depends on ur games?<br>
    <br>
    Detonator 3.xx and higher drivers uses the following formula to calulate LOD bias:<br>
    <br>
    LOD bias = Forced LOD bias + Application LOD bias<br>
    <br>
    For example, if u'll set LOD bias to -2 and run UnrealTournament, resulting LOD bias will be equal to -2.5 (Unreal/UT sets LOD bias to -0.5) and u'll see underfiltering (or flickering) on some textures. So it depends of games.<br>
    <br>
    kakaru2<br>
    <br>
    &gt; In the Release 10 there's a new OpenGL extension:<br>
    &gt; GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias<br>
    <br>
    Incorrect. AFAIK this extension was introduced in Detonator 2 (5.xx version).

4. stefan

stefan Guest

quote:<br>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
    Originally posted by stefan:<br>
    <br>
    In UT i have put a line in the ini file, under the opengl section<br>
    <br>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
    <br>
    quote:<br>
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
    Originally posted by PuShy:<br>
    <br>
    so ur also using the latest opengl raster for UT? did u try setting that at -2 ... did ya notice any flickering/flashing? cause i didn't notice any flashing even at -2 ... all i notice was the fps drop and the crisper graphics<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
    <br>
    Yes I use the latest opengl renderer, with the compressed textures.<br>
    I have set the lodbias to -3.5. This is much lower than the recommendations from the unrealtechcrew. But their recommandation just gives too much blur.<br>
    -3.5 doesnt give any more flickering than -1.5 under d3d. It looks good, but not better than d3d.<br>
    It is easier to notice on some textures, and i can imagine that in some games are harder to see the differences. <br>
    <br>
    The only benefit i gained from the opengl is the ability to use the standard detail textures(not the same as the special textures from cd2, as you probably know), without severe framerate drop when standing close to textures.<br>
    Framerates dont come down when decreasing lodlevel, but unfortunately<br>
    they wont increase when increasing lodlevel. This is too bad, because some big ctf and assault levels eat them up. I am limited in increasing speed by decreasing visuals<br>
    <br>
    UT looks so much better with lower lodlevel. <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br><br><i>This message was edited by stefan on 19 May 2001 03:52 AM</i>

5. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Unwinder:<br>
    <b>kakaru2<br>
    &gt; In the Release 10 there's a new OpenGL extension:<br>
    &gt; GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias<br>
    Incorrect. AFAIK this extension was introduced in Detonator 2 (5.xx version).</b><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><br>
    <br>
    I just run Sandra and Q3A to see the list of openGL extensions in 6.50 and it's not present.<br>
    Beside, in SSam the option is reverting at default without causing anything as opposed to the 12.40 i recently tried.<br>
    <br>
    In 5.32 again this ext is not there.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Kakaru2<br>
    <br>
    &gt; I just run Sandra and Q3A to see the list of openGL extensions in 6.50 and it's not present.<br>
    <br>
    U're TNT2 owner, right? GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias was introduced in 5.xx and it was supported by GF boards only. Probably NVIDIA had implemented this extension for TNT/TNT2 in Detonator 12.xx, but it's new info for me.<br>

7. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    Yes, I have a TNT2.<br>
    <br>
    As for 12.xx i.m starting to give more credit to nvidia. I was thinking that all their effort goes to the new GF3. Well, as opposed to the 10.80 and 11.01 performance for TNT2 in D3d is only 5% lower then 6.50, as opposed to the 25-30% hit in the 10.80 or 11.01 and in opengl resuults are mixed, generally lower with 3-4% but with a great increase in Tirtanium of 16%.<br>
    However it seems that in this version blt with color key is entirely softare, which may seem that other direct draw optimizations are not implemented yet, at least for the TNT.