What's up with the Samsung LNT4061F HDTV at Best buy?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Inspired, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    After hearing all these good reviews about this TV, I decided to get it. It was on sale for 1299.99 at Best buy. I made a post about discovering a stuck pixel(the red sub-pixel is defective) on the upper left corner of the HDTV, thinking if I should exchange it. So I made a desicion that I am going to exchange it today. And guess what? I've found a defective green sub-pixel this time on the newly exchanged TV. I was totally pissed off because the exchange didn't help at all. I am aware that other people who bought this model also had stuck pixel. This got me wondering about the quality control of the Samsung TVs. I don't think finding defective sub-pixels on both TV is the coincindence, is it?

I seriously don't feel like exchanging this one again. It's just too much hassle and even if I do, I will probably get another one with defective pixel. :(

2. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Exchange it again, just test the tv in store before you take it home this time.

3. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    I like to buy tvs,monitors from shops(difficult these days of online shopping).

I make them test them out in the shop before i buy.(Really pisses them off). But hey show me or ill go somewhere else.

However even after ive checked them, dead pixels can appear over time and its not allways easy to see them straight away.

Dont you just love this new problem of dead pixels with this new LCD technology.

Step forward or step back in technology??? You decide???.

I wouldnt worry about pissing them off. Try again for the exchange if your not happy.

EDIT, hey Zapmaster has sneaked in before me with similar advice.

Its possible that they quote some sort of dead pixel policy. But id keep going until i was happy.

I had to change my PSP about 5 times before i got an acceptable one.(still has a dead pixel or two).

4. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    The customer is always right. Maybe you'll piss them off, but don't forget you paid for the product.

5. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    i was i think between the first to notice that last november i went to buy this Samsung Panel for 1399$ CAN at best buy. i paid 40$ for the truck that i rented and brought the TV home.. powered it up then noticed a "lazy pixel" at the bottom left corner of the screen. i freaked out on the thing and went back the second day to best buy again and told the salesman about it.
    He said, ill return it and u can get another one... we were standing near the Samsung LTN 4061 demo display then i also realized there were 2-4 dead pixels on it too. told the salesman.. he didnt notice them before.

apparently there is a quality problem with the Samsungs panels. The salesman tried to sell me the aQuos Sharp 42inch for the same price but i refused. i was gonna pay myself the truck 80$...

- i ended up staying with the Samsung that i got and i even fixed the "lazy Pixel" by massaging it several time.

- google and download a program called "JScreenFix" it fixed my problem permanently now.

hope this helps ;)

Otherwise, the LTN4061 is a great screen bro.. games are so impressive on it and the movies pfffffffffff perfect. i like the program that they loaded in it too. the color are amazing too.. never seen such clarity

6. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, dead pixels are really a popular problem with LCDs. That's why I am still using CRT monitor for my computer.

I've tried the JscreenFix, and it didn't work. I also tried massaging the screen, I've only tried once and it didnt work; I've heard people saying massaging it few times may fix the problem. I think I am going to exchange it again as you guys suggested.

7. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    to fix my LCD-TV i think i massaged it 20 times lool + im using the JScreenFix daily. now its "dead pixel free" :nerd:

i still love this screen

Remark: still massaging the dead pixel or running JScreen fixer does not guarantee to fix the pixel issues. I was just lucky it worked for me...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  8. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    I'm not sure why you guys get so many defective products?

I have a Viewsonic VA800 LCD screen back from 1999 I believe and has seen daily use everyday, and still has no problems, and no dead pixels.

My main monitor i've had for 4 years now with no problems.

And I own an LCD TV that has never had one problem.

Nor my psp....

I think i've only owned maybe 1 cheap monitor in my life with a dead pixel... amazing.

9. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Jw_Leonhart

You can come shopping with me then, and bring me some luck when i buy stuff.

My PSP was bought on the day they came out here in the UK, and when i went back to the shop to exchange it for a non dead pixel one, there were 2 people in front of me with the same problem.
    Also the controls were faulty as the plastic behind them was to thin and cracked.

New PSPs though seem fine.(may get the new slimline one).

Also my Dell 2407w monitor has now got one dead pixel. (I can live with this myself though).

10. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Maybe it's just bad luck then. My cousin bought the dell 20" widescreen 2 years ago and it's been running strong for him. I've seen the 24" though, that thing is a MONSTER.

11. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    I owned two PCs with LCD monitor and they never have had dead pixel problem, only with the TV I got recently. and it's been a pain in the rear end for a while now. :)

12. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    yeah wait until your hdmi inputs stop working. here is what happend to me 2 months after i bought my samsung lnt-4665f 46 inch 1080p lcd tv.

I spent 3k on this lnt-4665f tv worked great out the box then 2 months later i turn it on and black screen, sound but no picture, i called samsung. they said its a known issue with this model they have a mainboard replacement. I had a samsung recommended a tech replace the mainboard. i got the tv back and the picture was way to dark, so i called samsung again they said the tech didn't make the proper adjustments. I had the tech take my tv again to make the adjustment, i went down to the shop to make sure it was right and it looked good. I got it home and used it for another 3 months till 3 days ago i noticed flickering in the picture, tried all 3 hdmi inputs same thing. to verify it was not my set top box i moved it to my 32 samsung hdtv in my den and no problems. I switched the source to s-video and component and they both worked fine. so i called samsung they said have a tech look at it again...i turned the tv on yesterday and hdmi was fine again, weird, but turned it on again today now it says "not a supported mode". called samsung again all they can do is have a tech look at it, totally ridiculous, my question was how can this hdmi problem be corrected after the mainboard has already been replaced...and how can i trust this tv to hook a play station 3 up via hdmi..

after all this i'm now using the component source to get my hdtv . samsung refuses to replace the tv. and i'm not confident the technition can fix it. "i should have bought a Sony"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  13. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
  14. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    CRT do have the advantage of no dead pixel. If the price of the 226BW didn't drop by 90$ on sales, I would have stay with my 16'' CRT.

But for TV, that a different thing. A dead pixel in a 40'' TV is not the same as on the 20'' monitor. I mean, its not as evident on a big TV. Maybe I have one on my 40'' Samsung but since I never noticed it, I just don't care. Also CRT are sensible to magnetic field. Just put a speaker on my CRT TV and it leaved a big green spot for few days.

15. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok I have decided I am going to exchange this one again. This newly exchanged one is actually worse than the one I had previously. I just noticed a bright green tiny dot on the screen yesterday. It may look like it just appeared recently. The tiny dot didn't look like it's an issue on the pixel, more like a round dot in between the pixel grid, even smaller than one sub-pixel.

16. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    i would see if they would take the tv back for a sony replacement preferably a xbr4 or 5 series of a comparable price....

17. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Maybe i am luckyish then.

Some of you guys are really unlucky.(dominant1)

Tech is getting so complicated these days, when something isnt right the repair guys have trouble fixing stuff.

The only real way now is to have the things taken back to the manufacturer to repair.
    Technicians generally cant fix gear without circuit diagrams, scopes,meters etc.

It does annoy me when pc repair people or techs replace motherboards drives etc, then claim theyve fixed it. (No they havent, the poor guy at the bench who replaces the components on the faulty board, is the one that fixes it.)

However its difficult to repair surface mount stuff, and nowadays its cheaper to replace parts and not fix them.

My 24" Dell is a monster, I do like it,(not perfect) but for the price i cant complain too much.

As was said, one dead pixel on this beast is hardly noticable.

18. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    your not lucky i have a dell 27 inch lcd for my pc and it works great, we are talking about tv's not pc monitors... dead pixels are not a problem for me, in fact i never checked to see if i had any till i saw this thread..any way i'm square on that, not 1 dead pixel...the hdmi thing stung for a bit but the tv doesn't lose any picture quality using the component source i just miss the ambient sound that hdmi provides, but thats the breaks. i may look into the possible option of having the manufacturer pick it up and fix it...i dont trust technitions to be able to fix this issue..

19. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Tvs not PC monitors????

Sureley an LCD tv is the same as a PC monitor when it comes to dead or stuck pixels????

Its interesting that your component in gives as good a picture as true digital in.

Its usefull that hdmi carries sound i agree.

I have component in on my monitor, i really want to test it now, but have nothing as yet to do so.

Whats the quality like on your 2707 with component in??? does it do 1080P or is it stuck to 1080I????

Thanks

20. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    lets see
    Samsung LCD with dead black pixels 3
    Sharp 32" LCD had 3 dead then 1 disappeared
    PSP 1 Stuck Pixel

And all of there were out of the box problem