Sony SXRD 1080i upconvert to 1080p

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by cbarnett, Jun 21, 2008.

1. cbarnett

cbarnett New Member

GPU:
    ATI 256
    I recently ran in to a real problem with my SXRD. I have loved the TV until recently and HD broadcasts (although only 1080i) look fantastic. I have been waiting to see how the whole Blue ray / HD DVD thing played out to get a true 1080p source to run on my tv. After purchasing the PS3 as a 1080p Blue ray source, I find out the XBR1 version of the SXRDs are only 1080i and won't receive a 1080p signal.

This was very disappointing b/c I thought when Sony said it is 1080p it really was. In actuality these tvs were sold as 1080p b/c they supposedly upconvert all signals to 1080p. Well to me that isn't 1080p. Am I wrong? I am fighting with the TV shop and Sony about this b/c I don't think I am getting the quality picture I thought I was getting. When you spend 3K for TV and expect it to be forward compatible it is a real kick in the gut to find out you got had.

Tell me if this whole upconversion thing is all it is cracked up to be. It seems to me it was just a marketing ploy. Also, someone please tell me if they have run into this and if they were able to find a resolution.

2. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    I used to sell that TV too, its not true 1080P nor does it support HDCP good luck with Sony, they usually tell most of their customers to Piss off.

3. cbarnett

cbarnett New Member

GPU:
    ATI 256
    To 91LudeSiT:

Yeah, I get the impression I will get no where with them. I seem to making ground with the store I bought it from. Since they are the ones who told me it is 1080p then that may be my only recourse.

What can you tell me of the difference in this upconvert technology vs true 1080p?

Thanks