Naga Bhut Jolokia [aka: Ghost Chilli]

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Extraordinary, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Anyone tried these before?

I bought some from ebay and they arrived today - wondering if anyone has any good recipes to use them with

Once the worlds hottest chilli @ 1,000,000 Scoville units, but since beaten twice, once with the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chilli, and recently the new world record holder is the Carolina Reaper (Over 2,000,000) - of which I have 5 in the post

I rehydrated a ghost chilli earlier and chopped the end off and chewed it, and I can still feel my tongue burning - the powder is extremely hot too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently the Carolina Reaper is above the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, had some of them thrown into a phaal curry before, basically asked them to make me the hottest curry they can, they said phaal, I asked them to spice it up, they said they have some Naga chilies (bhut jolokias), I asked them to throw them in.

I spooned up the sauce no problem. It was hot, but I'm pretty much immune to chilies by now, due to eating a lot of raw chilies when I worked in restaurants. Chefs always challenged me to eat them, saying I couldn't do it. So I did lol. Hate it when people ask me if certain food is hot, I usually say no, but then it blows their heads. Oh well, enjoy your Nagas :)

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yea I was reading you can become immune to it if you eat them regularly, I rarely eat spicy things, last thing I ate was some Thai green curry thing that turned me into a red sweating mess

From what I tasted from just a tiny nibble earlier, whatever I make with these is going to beat that Thai by miles in terms of heat - and from watching people eat full ones on YT.... yea not gonna try that :)

Some people are saying to leave them dried when cooking with them for max heat - others are saying to rehydrate them, what's best ?

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Dunno. A lot of Mexican cooking is done with dried chilies. But that's for flavour, more than heat, I think. Smoke dried chilies etc. Either way, it'll most likely blow your head off so be careful. I suggest you wear latex gloves when handling them, too, last thing you want is rub your eyes or scratch your ball sack after handling them by naked hand.

5. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I guess some men enjoy ****ting fire. :p

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    haha yea the missus brought me some of those gloves the day I bought them :D

They do have a smoky fiery taste to them, even the smell of the water Ive got one sitting in gives a kick to the old nostrils

I`ll give it a shot both ways, if I survive the first one

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I'm fine with Habanero being too much for me to handle. :c

8. rickyboy

rickyboy Guest

GPU:
    ventus 3090
    hotter on the way out, than in! (THE RING OF FIRE)

9. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I'm always amused when I see something that uses the same name that I use online.

Naga or Nagasaki xD

10. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I've done this while eating habaneros...NOT fun...

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Habaneros do not taste really good. Naga Jolokia is delicious tbh. Tho I still love Chipotle(smoked chili) most yum yum. Not hot but really tasty.

It is rather weird to cook at times cause I need to be careful not to kill other people ;) of course they wouldn't really die unless really bad asthma. But most people I know go "HOLEE SHEET" if they eat enough jalapenos.

Tho best friends I've taught to eat some spicy foods ;)

tbh I got habanero powder. Need to be careful with that ****. Putting that powder on a hot pan is instant cough :D and it is easy to get where it does not belong to. As with all hot powders.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, habaneros are just too sharp. Chipotle is awesome, love that smokiness.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah that is how I would describe habaneros too. While nagas are way hotter they are kind of gentler on how they burn you it's a slow that goes on and on.

14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    anything i have to wear gloves to handle doesn't go in or around my mouth.

15. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I used to eat hot food all the time but as I got older my stomach won't let me now.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    These things are no joke for those of you who don't eat spicy food regularly. I love jalapenos and habaneros but these are just too hot. And the problem with these are your mouth burns more as time goes on. The one time I tried it, I put a drop on my finger and licked it. Didn't seem too bad so I put some more on a burrito I was eating. Holy crap within 5 minutes I couldn't feel my mouth anymore.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Im sure there's a joke in there somewhere but brain refuses to find it :D

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    When lived in Los Angeles, there was this Indian place. Miss the lamb madras. The heat never hit till about the fourth or fifth forkful. Napkin was always used to wipe the sweat from my forehead. Those peppers are awesome...enjoy.

19. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    This year I am growing two strains of red Bhut, some white Bhuts, some chocolate Bhuts, and some King Nagas, along with several varieties of Trinidad peppers.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC