Elon Musk: We'll have to become cyborg hybrids to keep up

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Clouseau, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
  2. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    No thank you! With humans becoming the Borg we have to surrender to the hive mind and the hive mind will be corporate interest. I don't want to live in a world like Deus Ex. :)

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Augmented humans are already here. There's no going back...there's just how far.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    In a lot of philosophy cycles, there is the idea that we are basically the cocoon stage of another form of life, and that by being so fixated with technology we are acting as the birthing agent of the actual superior life form that this planet will produce, machines.

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    They can start with people are now inhibited, handicapped, lost limbs or have disabled body functions such as sight. By using that population as a base and giving them new cybernetic limbs/accessories and enhancing those lives, then progressing where those people... er... cyborgs become more capable than us regular humans, it can then kickoff the industry to produce desirable implants and cyborg peripherals.

Its already happening... just a matter of time.

The REAL kicker will be when one can transfer their brain and nervous system intact to a full cyborg body and literally live forever... most people with the means at the end of their naturally "body" life will do it... Nothing else to lose with all that accumulated wealth... :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    To be honest that's not really a negative. Machines are better adapted to the universe than organics ever could be. If we have to inevitably die off, then we might as well leave a new species in our wake. At least that way we'll always be gods in a sense.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm not sure Terminator is taken that seriously as the human end point. Sure, generate a lot of discussion but, it's more a mental exercise and not seriously.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Hmmm...let me think, the only proof we have of the existence of machines is that man created them. If your proposition were true, why does man predate machine?

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm not sure I follow here. The only thing I'm proposing is that machines are better adapted to life in the universe at large. We humans, and all organics that we know of, require the specialized biosphere that earth provides to live. A machine can function in way harsher conditions. I'm not actually implying that machine is the natural successor to man or following that philosophical rabbit hole. Just saying that if it were true, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I got the gist of where you were going, I was just offering up a philosophical tenet. But if it doesn't matter either way...well I guess that's it. Ha ha...:)

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A machine new species won't necessarily end up in a terminator scenario.

12. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Musk makes some interesting points, I really respect that guy alot! It is kinda scary to think about these things but they will happen in the very near future.

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Didn't Elon Musk say he was interested in the Deus Ex series?

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, if we need to become machines to keep up with what we create, we're doing it wrong. Machines and programs and everything actually is supposed to be for a human to use, so if you can't use it as a human, it's not properly done.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    His whole point is that we are already integrated with them, we just don't have the tech (yet) for greater integration, and the more chances we have had to do it, we always integrated in the end.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I've heard this before. You could argue that we are already becoming part machines by the way technology is shaping our lives. If we want to explore the far reaches of space then we would have to become part cyborgs to be able to make the long journeys across space.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Taking one point of the responses posed already, in the end we will have machines producing machines, full synthetics. Will they code the algorithmic responses to mimic Human reactions? Cyborgs will be eventually seen as inferior. The metals we currently are aware of rust and or corrode over time given just the environment on earth. Circuits decay. All it is, is delaying the inevitable. Agree with fantaskarsef's response.

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Why do I need to keep up again? What a silly man who is detached from the reality we actually live in. Humanity would rise up and end this if it became detrimental.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Since he makes cars, I guess it means replacing hands and feet with wheels. Just don't ask how to change gears ;).