2560x1440 Resolution Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Cgm73, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Cgm73

Cgm73 Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    I have a dell 2710 with a resolution of 2560x1440. The display looks great. I use it for work, i.e. PDFs files, data entry, email etc no gaming. I built a new computer i7 7700, zotac 1050 ti card 32gb ddr4. I plug hdmi in 2710 from new computer and display looks like CRAP. I adjusted resolution in nvidia control panel to 2560x1440 50hz resolution, 50hz was max, tried to scale Windows 10, went into every text option I could find still blurry text. Nothing is crisp and clear. On the front panel of 2710 I can switch from 2710 to new computer and vice versus to see how much my new computer looks like crap. I'm looking at a lg 34uc98 monitor but if it's going to look like this why bother. What is the problem? :bang::bang::bang: I can add photos tommorow when I get back to work. Any help from you gurus would be appreciated Thanks

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I think you might see some improvement when using a display port cable, but not sure about that. What revision is your HDMI cable?

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    +1 for the cable

Got a QNIX 2560x1440 a few weeks back, tried a normal single link DVI, got masses of coloured lines everywhere, no picture

Connected it with a dual Link DVI and it worked perfectly

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Wait, this dell 2710 you talking about is all in one desktop?
    -> http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/xps-one-27-2710-aio/pd ???

So as I understand, you using this as monitor.

This one is tricky. Dell doesn't mention HDMI version of its monitor. So it could be 2 things.

1) The cable you using is lower than version 1.4 and doesn't have enough bandwidth.

2) Dell went full retard and doesn't support minimum HDMI version for its panel to function (lower than 1.4).

I hope it is case 1, so you just need newer HDMI cable to make it work. Try borrowing cable from someone!

source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

EDIT: strange, some sources mention 1.3 is not enough to drive 1440p. Go for version 1.4 and above to be sure.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Was thinking about the same lines there *nods*

6. Cgm73

Cgm73 Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    Got to be cable are dell hdmi imput does not support 1.4 are higher. funny thing is i can log onto 2710 connect to new computer with teamviewer and unplug hdmi cable and it looks crisp and clear. I might have crappy cable thanks for the help.