GTA V Shadow Fix

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by mkeezay29, May 1, 2015.

1. skyebaron

skyebaron Guest

GPU:
    970 FTW
    Thank you so much for this. I love this game.

2. mkeezay29

mkeezay29 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 760 4GB
    Try this file common.rpf\data\tcinstbox.meta, should be able to turn the street lights off in there.

Agreed, I've actually been making HD versions of the storefronts as I think they are pretty low quality, plus I want to have a headstart for when we can replace textures, many of the games models use UV mapped textures, so replacing a single image will often replace multiple textures on the meshes, plus with just basic Normal maps with the original texture it's not a ton of work, honestly the hardest part is finding textures that I can use for free, I can't afford to pay $100 for a pack of HD textures

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hi,

Can you export your cfg? :)

was wondering about

<Shadow_SplitZStart value="1.000000" />
    <Shadow_SplitZEnd value="0.999900" />

or did you use default here?

Im just seeing this bilinear line time to time, somehow soft or yes AMD shadows eliminates it, but I can still see close wall shadows doing this 2m rendering visible shadow.. Does this fix it too?

4. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    The shadow box is an annoyance! Did they ever come up with a way to fix it?

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I believe someone posted a fix somewhere on this thread.

6. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I gave the tread the once over. Albeit, someone would always comment said fixes didn't work for them..

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Try AMD shadows, and in advanced options use max settings (extended shadow, etc)

Its not ideal, but imo much better then all shadow options combined.

8. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Will do, thank you!

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Btw it still has that 2-3m wall filtering glitch.. and occasional bilinear filtering - i think only by sun rise and right before sunset shadows. Its like it has a separate shadows system for each time of day.

But you shouldn't see any low filtering square around your character..

driver DSR can clear image (driver smoothing 17%), idk if you at 1080p DSR to 1440p or even 1620p if you have the power - this looks amazing, but demanding with max grass and max postfx

Some extra driver tweaks
    ingame AF off, force AF in driver profile
    TransparencyAA - multisampling or 2xSS

I also use this commandline.txt file in game base directory, for stabler fps
    -FrameQueueLimit 2

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    does it look like this ?

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I don't see that, lol I play only mp when bought it, could be SP specific? Or shadow setting specific, I saw AMD CS was the most "stable"., only saw bilinear -octagonal shape line in the distance, from detailed to blurry or just cut off.

Like a shadow system for each day time, morning, mid-day, afternoon, dusk, night.
    *morning to mid-day and afternoon to dusk transitions are bad, bilinear filtering

Crysis2 had it too, but much worse, this happened to me with forced AF @ Fermi? Nv then said its fermi specific -readme file

or BF3.. bilinear filtering
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMCV8rnOrLY

Edit2: ok found one of my gta videos,
    at the beginning by those garage doors - how it disappears when I change the angle. This is at best option amd cs, rest was much worse.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  12. What you see in Crysis is different from what you see in GTA5. In Crysis that was actually a bug in blending between shadow cascades on some HW. On the other hand GTA5 shadowing works as intended. Which makes me wonder why are people trying to fix something which is not broken.

In general:
    What you see in GTA5 is not bug or glitch. It's just standard shadowing using shadow cascades. This technique is used in almost every game using real-time dynamic shadows for larger areas. The only fix for visible seams is to use blending between cascades or use just one high resolution shadow map (= not using cascades at all). Unfortunately, both solutions have quite an impact on performance and R* (since GTA5 was mainly built for old-gen consoles) decided not to support them. Switching shadowing techniques or changing parameters won't "fix" the issue, it could only make it less visible to the viewer under some specific conditions while making it visible elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2017