New Phone Time...?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by BLEH!, Aug 15, 2017.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Exactly. I get 2 GB of data (presently), moving huge volumes of data to the cloud, especially over my crappy home WiFi connection is a pain in the ass.

Exactly, not good for those of us with limited data.

Will look into those, cheers.

Cost, I'm not paying as much as I could upgrade my PC for for a phone...

This

Not bad. This is why I got my Lumia 950 - good specs for a low price, just sad that reliability has been an issue.

Yeah... I'd rather avoid 24 mo if I can, usually buy my handsets outright.

There's always the new Nokias, I guess.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    $10 per GB? Sounds a tad expensive

For my current o2 plan using Project Fi it would cost £38 p/m (Before tax/fees), currently I'm paying £32 p/m after tax/fees

[​IMG]

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Just a heads up too on Motorola phones, if you don't want to unlock your bootloader and use a custom rom Moto phones are basically stock android with a couple UI changes mainly in the camera and the icons. Even still, you can still use icon packs that work with the main custom launchers. Performance stock is still pretty decent on these devices. There is also no bloatware, no bloatware, no bloatware, I repeat, no bloatware, on any unlocked Moto device(Unless you get the Amazon version.) Motorola/Lenovo will also let you unlock the bootloader officially as well.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The advantage to Google's Project Fi is that you get a credit every month for any unused data. My bill should be roughly $60 USD per month after taxes, fees and financing. Instead, my bill last month was only $45.80 USD because I don't really use any data being that I'm on wifi all day at work and when I'm at home. My bill averages $43USD to $48USD per month after taxes, fees and finance charges for my N6P. If I were to pay off my phone, my bill would only be around $28USD to $32USD. For some perspective.... The plan that I'm actually paying Google $28 to $32 USD per month for would cost me roughly $65 from Verizon (well, $59 after my discount), $70 from T-Mobile, $95 from AT&T and $55 from Sprint.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Wish o2 did that, I'm around WiFi so much I rarely go over 500MB atm on data

Is it the same for you guys in the US, that unlimited texts do not ever include MMS and you get charged a stupid amount per MMS sent?

It's like 50p per MMS here now for o2, and even if someone else sends you an MMS (Free to receive) and you forget and just reply with normal text to that MMS, it is classed also as an MMS, so you need to start a brand new text message to avoid it rather than just replying, PITA

Also if your normal text goes over a certain number of characters, with the stock Samsung message app it converts it to MMS automatically, and the only sign it has done that is a tiny little 1/2 second bubble at the very bottom of the screen that you'll miss if you're not looking directly at that part of the screen, which you generally aren't

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That's expensive as ****. My plan (It was less than 7 € but more than 6 € per month, including our ridiculously high VAT) has 5GB data and if I exceed that it's unlimited for 0,99 €/per day. I get billed bimonthly.

Unlimited everything plans are somewhere between 20 € - 30 € here.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Is that SIM only or paying for the phone too?

Once I've paid my phone off after 24 months my SIM only plan would be a lot cheaper

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Sim only. They stopped doing combined deals and sim locks quite some time ago. You can buy a phone and pay it in monthly pieces but it's not subsidised.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No, unlimited messaging includes SMS and MMS.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Grabbed an Xperia AX1 for £200. Good camera and pretty quick for the price.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice, yea 23MP camera looks pretty nice, you'll have to post some sample shots :)

I was wondering if the Lumia 1020 was worth picking up for around £100 just for the 41MP camera

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You reminded me, around a year ago, I managed to find a brand new Nokia 808 Pureview 41 MP from Amazon. Happened to be old stock which came from Mexico.

With regards to image quality, all I can say is WOW. Should you have decent lighting this phone is the best you can get, nothing comes close. 15-20mb pictures, imagine the detail.

Night time close up shots are not even an issue, this beast even has a proper Xenon flash, 10 times bigger than regular phone flashes having pin sized weak flashes.