Best Z97 motherboard, various issues with certain brands.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by guppysb, Apr 27, 2015.

1. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    Hey Guys,

I need your help, but I'd like to point out that I always do bios updates, make sure the CPU is seated firmly, no socket pins are bent and general checks before posting on forums or trying to get help. I have a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering so I don't think I am the dumbest person when it comes to computers (I think, who knows).

However, I have been having a ton of issues recently and I have started banging my head against the wall. All related to the individual motherboards tested.

Here's the basic hardware (and software) list, excluding the motherboard:
    Intel i7 4770k CPU
    EVGA 1000G2 PSU
    Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X OC GPU
    Creative Titanium HD PCI Express x1
    16GB (4x4GB) G-Skill Trident-X 2400mhz DDR3
    2x Sandisk 256GB SSD Drive (SATA6GB/s)
    1x WD Caviar Black 500GB drive (SATA6GB/s)

The Problem:
    I bought a MSI z87 GD-65 motherboard roughly 2 years ago and recently it started giving me a ton of bsods (networking and memory related). I tried bios updates, only installing the Killer NIC inf drivers without the whole software suite. Still, no go. Also, the motherboard could never use the XMP profile of the memory but I still kept it. I ran the memory at 1800mhz with manual latency settings. In hindsight, I should have returned it. Turns out, I am not the only one. Tons of people can't use G-Skill memory on the MSI boards properly:
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=178019.0

Also, my friend has a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, and he can't even get his 16GB (2x8GB) Trident-X 2400mhz DDR3 memory to work with their XMP profiles on the board. He's running them at 1600mhz (waste of money if you ask me). Also, I don't think having the debate of cas latency and calculations based on latency vs mhz is applicable here. You'll see why as you read on.

The fix so far:

I bought an Asus Maximus Z97 VII Hero board. Instantly, no more bsods. Everything is working smoothly, including running my G-Skill memory at 2400mhz with their XMP profiles. However, the motherboard won't run my 290x at 16x PCI-E 3.0. It will only run it at 8x PCI-E 3.0. I have verified this via bios and also GPU-Z. And yes, I have done all the bios updates. So I think this is a defective board. I receive a replacement Maximus Z97 VII Hero board.....and the same problem occurs again. I have to mention, the Asus Maximus is solid as a rock......except for the whole running PCI-E 16x 3.0 at PCI-E 8x 3.0. I have tried taking out the sound card, putting it in a different lane, and no go. My friend has the same 290x as me, and he's able to run it at 16x PCI-E 3.0 on his MSI Z97 Gaming 7. So he brings his card over to see if I have a defective GPU or a motherboard, and the Maximus runs his card at 8x 3.0 as well. So I am thinking once again it's a defective motherboard.

I made a post on the ROG forums to fix this issues, yet no one could find a solution:
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-can-t-run-at-16x-3-0-for-R9-290x-only-x8-3-0
    And yes, I know that the 290x's throughput can't exceed the PCI-E 8x 3.0, but it's the principal of the matter! Product is not working as advertised, at least not for me.

TL-DR: The help I need from you guys:
    I need to find a board that fulfills these 3 needs:
    1. Runs my 16GB (4x4GB) G-Skill Trident-X 2400mhz DDR3 at 2400mhz with their XMP Profiles.
    2. Runs my 290x at 16x PCI-E 3.0
    3. Doesn't give me a crazy ton of BSODs.

I am scared to go with the MSI route since there is a known problem with them and G-Skill branded memory. I feel that if the memory works properly on my Maximus Hero Z97 board, it is not defective memory (memtest86 tested).

I am thinking of going with the AsRock Extreme 6 since it's practically an ASUS board and has great reviews:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=asrock_extreme_6-_-13-157-500-_-Product
    But then again, one Guru3d user points out issues with the Extreme 6 as well:http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398489

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Gigabyte boards in the past. This includes 2x x58 boards. So I don't know if I'd want to go down the Gigabyte path either....

Your thoughts? Please let me know if you have any recommendations of your own.

Killer NIC BSODs and issues:
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=178063.0

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    In reply to that other thread

Ah right sorry, I thought you had them in crossfire, didn't notice its one gpu issue..

In that case you can try this if not already;
    go to bios Advanced tab, next to AI Tweaker tab, and by 16x pcie slot1 manually select pcie3.0 instead of auto

Is 3rd black 16x pcie slot free? If not that can limit it to 8x too, just like if 2nd pcie16x is populated with e.g. 1x pcie or using 2nd pcie16x slot as primary gpu slot even if all other 16x pcie are free.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    Already tried forcing it to gen3. So far, I have nothing in any of the PCI-Express slots except for the 290x itself. I also tried on different bios revisions....

Either way, thanks for taking the time to read and reply to the post. With over 150 views, you're the only one to reply.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    One m8 with Maximus formula Z87 had the same thing with Sapphire trix 290x, but he had his audio card Asus Phebous in 3rd black pcie16x slot, thought you had similar problem :)

You are using it like so right?
    [​IMG]

5. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    I placed the X-FI on the first PCI-Express x1 slot, right above the gpu. I also tried placing individually on the other 2 slots. But for the moment, while debugging, I don't even have the sound card placed on the motherboard at all.
    :bang:

I think I just have the worst luck when it comes to hardware.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    In that case, its probably still a bios compatibility issue (either gpu or mobo), or maybe some power saving feature in bios?

by PCH configuration tab disable
    DMI link ASPM control,
    ASPM support

by Nb pcie configuration tab disable both
    DMI link ASPM control
    PEG-ASPM

If you plan on changing maybe try normal non gaming board Asus Z97-Pro or Deluxe?
    I would try to stick with Asus they do make a little better bios then the rest atm.

7. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    I'll have to try that once I get home. Thanks for the info. Was considering the Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2. Or the Z97-A, but only 4 Sata slots kinda sucks.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I used a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 before, and it was a fine board. Had no problems with my G.Skill memory that I know of.

I would stay away from this gen of ASRock, I've seen a LOT of reviews of people complaining that after x period of time, the board just refuses to boot any longer. Not worth the risk.

With that said, I'm fairly sure this is a "silly" incompatibility with some setting. It could even be a software or driver conflict of some sort. I understand I have a Nvidia card so it's not an equivalent situation, but I haven't seen any problems with link speed. Are you on the latest BIOS, 2601? Asus actually pulled a few BIOS revisions due to bugs recently. Worth checking.

9. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    Thanks for the reply. I've had nothing but bad luck so far with the Z87 generation of the MSI boards. Are you using the factory OCed G-Skill with their XMP profiles? From what I understand, the MSI boards have a hard time with the 1.65v on the memory with the XMP latencies.

I am currently on the 2601 bios for the Maximus board. The problem seems to persist with the hardware and not the software/drivers. The bios lists the GPU at x8 instead of x16. I can verify further with GPU-Z that the card does indeed run at x8 3.0 with load.

Should I call it quits and get a Mac? lol:wanker:

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Ah, my Sniper is spec'd for 1.5V. Maybe that's why I had no issues. Although my friend is using 1.65V memory in that board now and isn't having problems. *shrugs*

And if it's showing up in the BIOS, I wonder if it's a board firmware bug specifically with the 290X. It's certainly not impossible. There's one last thing you can try. If you update the IMEI firmware, it might fix the problem. Here is a guide. http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

I followed it with no problems as I do this with all boards when I get them (as the bundled firmware is often incredibly outdated). The specific firmware you'll be updating to is Intel ME 9.1 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v9.1.25.1005. This is the latest that the Hero will work with. Do not use any other version. From what I understand, this firmware actually controls things like base clocks and link speeds and relevant parameters like that.

11. JmanEspresso

JmanEspresso Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX980 FTW
    Just a passing thought..

Have you seen what GPU-Z reports with the card in game/under load?

Like I said, just a thought.

12. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    x8 3.0 with load or gaming.

13. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    Ordered the Asus Z97A/USB 3.1. Fingers crossed that works properly for me. It's their newest mobo so far.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Did you try my suggestion at all?

15. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    Yes sir I did, didn't have luck :(

If the 290x doesn't run at x16 3.0 on this board either, then I know there's some sort of compatibility issue between the Sapphire 290x and the Asus boards.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Oh well, hopefully the new board serves you well.

17. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    And we have success with the Z97-A/USB3.1 Motherboard:
    [​IMG]

Also, I can run the CPU at a solid 4.4Ghz with memory at 2400mhz.

Looks like I finally found a winner!

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I don't know man, looks like it's not detecting your PhysX install. You may have a more serious problem :nerd:

Just kidding, enjoy.

19. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    LOL! I am totally going to go buy a Physx card now. Thanks a lot ICE!

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Just a thought, but did you check to see if there was another BIOS for the GPU you could try? Years ago I had an EVGA 8800GT card that refused to work in my PC. I had a friend who had an XFX8800GT that worked just fine in my PC and my card worked in his. Turns out it was a PCIe v2 issue that a BIOS update fixed.