FarCry 4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Nov 28, 2014.

1. R3ck17 Rick

R3ck17 Rick Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Ref.GTX980 1443/8160
    Could always play with this :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    need to start a fresh game and still a beta mod

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Out of all FC games, 4 imo is the best in terms of variety of gameplay and ability to choose from that. You can see an emphasis on trying to break out of the 'monotony of sameness' which I could never shake off in FC2. Although enjoyed FC2, it had too many moments of tedium. And the frequent long drives from place to place didnt help. With FC4, if you tire of driving, grab a minicopter (or glider depending on location). In liberating outposts/forts, if you blasted your way in with guns blazing and were not satisfied with how it went, you can repeat it with different tactics, weapons, stealth, etc, or try doing it undetected for added challenge/bonus points. Strong replay value there imo. Rescuing hostages, assasinations, missions with selected weapons, racing vehicles, rare animal hunts, grappling, finding journals, masks, colorful vibrant places, etc, add to the variety. I loved how grappling (in some areas, caves) were like a puzzle, you have to choose them properly and swing to the correct place or hook to another one.

Dramatic changes of scenery from forests to snowy landscapes also helps break out of the 'sameness' one often feels in many games. In FC2, although graphics were well done, it was all too 'drab', not much color, just green, brown and not much more. I do appreciate the point in the vid where you have to be more cautious in FC2 to avoid repeating from distant save points, and that does add to the tension and palpability of gameplay.

In FC4 (only 60% through), there were things I did not like. The voice acting of the protagonist (Ajay) is attrocious. Naive American college kid totally out of his element unconfidentally blurting out his lines did not give any sense of believability to the character (same with the spring break kids from FC3). Would have prefered they used a local voice actor consistent with the place. The frequency of animals was overdone as well as the locals non-stop cries for help from eagles. Long cut scenes were not fun to go through and most characters personalities seemed artificially goosed to make them more interesting but came off as more annoying instead. I may have found them cool if I was a teenager (a large target market I suppose). Ironic how one of the most believable and fun characters in all gaming history (Vaas from FC3) was such a brilliant creation coming from the same devs, story writers that also worked on FC4.

This game *imho* is brilliantly desgined from a gameplay standpoint and great graphics, scenery, locations to go with it. But for some reason it hasnt moved me, like its vapid or sterile in some sense. Cant figure it out, it has all the ingredients of a fantastic game but does not come together as well as the sum of its parts would suggest. It probably does to many, just not me, and I guess the reason for that is I've gone through too many games (game fatigue) that its really hard to be impressed by anything anymore. I certainly had more fun in FC1, even though that now, imo, is the worst of the series. It was a great game in its time, just not beyond that.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB

Agreed. Great game but these sandbox games need a bit more variety, something new, something different and enjoyable.

sandbox in general suffer from repetitiveness, so the trick is to vary each scene so much that it feels like a totally different mission to the last one.

For example instead of each outpost being basically the same, vary the environment. Make an outpost next to a volcano, next to a waterfall, on a cliff edge, next to a Tiger den, next to a [insert your idea here]... you get the idea.

One thing I like in these type of games is infiltrating large enemy establishments, ticking them off, moving to the next one. Not so much that it becomes a maze - no one likes back tracking a million times just trying to fine your next objective, more like the forts FC4 introduced, but more of them, and much larger bases, more varied environments, less repetitiveness. Create a huge fort in a huge cave on a mountain side, on top of a mountain, in an ancient stone building, a huge "tree house" up high in the tree tops (think Tatoonie in star wars).

Variance is king, more interesting environments are needed.
    Repetitive "been there done that" scenes are boring.
    That is all.

4. R3ck17 Rick

R3ck17 Rick Guest

GPU:
    (Puts on a Vaas voice-over)

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?":banana:

5. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    "The condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.
    Synonyms: dementia, lunacy, madness, craziness, mania, aberration."

Variety = insanity?

FC4 could do with a bit of this. Something different but dont go over the top.
    Sign me up lol.

6. R3ck17 Rick

R3ck17 Rick Guest

GPU:
    You missed the pun I was attempting lol You mention repetitiveness so I threw that out there from Vaas's definition in FC3: "Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same ****ing thing... over and over again expecting... **** to change"

I kinda miss Vaas tbh.

7. R3ck17 Rick

R3ck17 Rick Guest

GPU:
    Anyone tried the new drivers? they are "game ready" for Dying light (which I per-ordered and excited as hell to play!) I'm setting them up now to try out.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Played FC4 for 2 hours with the new drivers earlier, seem like keepers to me

9. R3ck17 Rick

R3ck17 Rick Guest

GPU:
    It could just be the fact I can not remember what settings I used in Inspector last, but it seems smoother? I am running my higher clocks that I originally used (until FC4 decided to be the only game I have that didn't like them) so will see if it craps itself like it used to.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well I play in Surround with 6040x1080, so it's never 'smooth' for me, but I did notice it hitting 60fps occasionally yesterday, so the fact that I noticed that means it likely didn't hit those fps often with previous drivers, and I noticed it quite a bit, so possibly better performance yea

11. R3ck17 Rick

R3ck17 Rick Guest

GPU:
    Nice! I wish it worked with 3D but it horrible.

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yesterday Uplay updated itself and today when I launched FC4 I saw my escape from Durgesh icon not showing anymore and was like wtf when I saw some "Season Pass special offer" in-game advertisement...

Needless to say, it turns out that my Season Pass key got banned (even though it worked for over 2 weeks) and Ubisoft didn't care enough to even let me know, not to mention to tell me why. After reading arround a bit on the web, it seems that a lot of people who like me got their keys from resellers had this happen to them. It's weird because I bought quite a number of keys from cjs-cdkeys and never had a problem. I guess I'll have to stick to Steam/Origin/Uplay stores to be sure in the future...

13. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    Same thing happened to me with the main game. Basically, anyone who bought their keys from a 3rd party store are slowly having their keys revoked.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It seems Ubisoft is cracking down on 3rd party resellers. Both ACU and FC4 have been deleted from my account.

15. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    This has been happening for some steam users too.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    WOW really? This is insane, I got my main game keys for AC:Unity and FC4 with my videocards, it's just the Season Pass that I needed... I hope these won't get banned as well. :giggle2:

I wonder for you guys that got their main game keys erased, did you loose all the progress in the campaigns? If so then that's a major **** move by Ubisoft. They could have at least warned you when you originally entered the key and not do all this bull**** retroactively. I played some of the FC4 Season Pass DLC, I hope I didn't loose my progression. :bang:

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I just repurchased what was banned and my save file loaded just fine. After reading a few threads on the FC4 sub forum, it appears the keys purchased from G2A are being banned.

18. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    It's not just G2A, kinguin too etc. Anyway, I sure won't be using any of these sites to order Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight that's for sure.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That was my first and last time using G2A. I usually use another key site and have never had a problem with their keys. But they were out of stock at the time. That's the only reason why I went with G2A.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I knew something was sketchy about G2A.

$30 for a game that just came out? yeah right...