Unreal Engine 4 Kite Demo - Running on GeForce TITAN X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2015.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yeah the hair is really bad.. I also expected proper hair, but I think its just the look they wanted to use.

e.g. Samaritan has proper hair, now 4years old tech demo..

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The hair has like nothing to do with the engine. The lazy way is to just model it as a bunch of planes. They used polys for the hair in Samaritan and just applied MSAA to it, probably set it up as a softbody objects for movement.

Also someone on the forums already partially implemented TressFX as a plugin and is working on fixing it fully atm.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4352&d=1401807160

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This is not scripted cutscene. This is realtime World Of Warcraft map size

it's all right; he's Canadian
    LOD and pop-in is better in anything that I've seen

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    HairWorks will also be made available in UE4, maybe at the end of the month through the GameWorks branch on Github.
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...ks-Integration&p=245536&viewfull=1#post245536

I'd say the characters hair in the kite demo is just an artistic choice..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Exactly. Consistency.
    Cartonish character + realistic hair = uncanny valley

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I definitely agree it's an artistic choice. It just nerves me that in a few threads now people criticize things that have nothing to do with the engine, but are blaming the engine for it. Like "Unreal looks wet" That's a material property. Epic games stuff looks wet, they like to put specular maps everywhere and reflect everything, I don't know why they like it but it's just a setting on a material. Or "The kids reflection is wrong" it's because they didn't put a reflection capture sphere in the right spot, it was a mistake by an artist, not something the engine can't deal with.

I mean I've seen people complain about the Deer AI looking weird. When it's something some guy probably spent like 20 minutes setting up in the blueprint editor on a Saturday morning trying to put the demo together. It's not indicative of the engine's capability at all.

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I completely agree.
    Same as the tech demo's that are posted and you see a lot of comments about "textures look bad, therefore it's bad.." Yeah let's completely forget the demo is about physics, lighting or geometry because they didn't put all the time and effort into something that has nothing to do with what's being demonstrated.

Unrelated but something you might like, Forest Lighting study at polycount:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2258343
    Didn't know where to post this for those interested :p

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  8. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Looks like the TitanX can't handle it. That's running at 20-25fps. Might want to buy 3 of them.

9. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    Considering it's an animation it's pretty ok. Movies run at 24fps.

Anybody interested in doing animations using UE4 don't even have to pay the 5% fee. And this can create really high quality stuff if you have the PC to run it. And to think Toy Story 1 had Pixar/Disney out of their minds to render all the stuff.