12.4 driver causing USB problems with Z68 mobo

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Tumleren, May 6, 2012.

1. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
    Hey all

I just got some new hardware and have installed an ASUS 7850 graphics card along with a Gigabyte Z68 UD3H-B3 rev. 1.3, and an Intel i7 2600K.

The first time I installed Windows 7 x64 on this new hardware, I played World of Warcraft once, though I'm not sure if this was with or without the AMD driver installed. Once in the game, the mouse started turning itself on/off every 15 seconds, being off for about 2 seconds at a time.

Searching for this problem, I saw comments about the AMD AHCI usb driver interfering, which is what later led me to the Intel Update utility mentioned below.

I didn't know what to do, so I decided to reformat the drive. However the problem kept reappearing every time i reinstalled windows.

Basically, whenever I install an AMD driver (I have tried with 12.3 and 12.4 (these are the only ones supporting the 7800 series) ), the USB system fails after the next restart.

The process goes like this:

1. I install the AMD driver
    2. I restart the computer
    3. The computer freezes at the "Starting Windows" windows-logo
    4. I restart the computer
    5. It boots up, and ~5-10 minutes later, my USB mouse stops working.
    6. A minute or two later, my illuminated keyboard begins flashing, as if its power-supply is repeatedly turned on/off. The keyboard is no longer responding, but still lighting up.
    7. Having neither keyboard nor mouse, Im forced to do a hard reset, only to be met by the same problem again.
    Now, I've reformatted my computer several times over the weekend. I've lost count of how many, and I've finally narrowed the problem down to the driver.

I solved it to some degree at one point, by installing the 12.3 driver, and then immediately using the Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) : http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...g&OSVersion=Windows 7 *&DownloadType=Drivers

It worked for some time, and I managed to play a round of Battlefield 3 with no problems.

Once i exited the game, I began to get freezes and messages about the display driver not responding and having been restarted. When I tried to navigate to the intel website to download the tool again, the mouse stopped responding, quickly followed by the keyboard.

Interestingly, the last time I replicated the problem by installing the 12.4 driver, then immediately using the Intel Update tool, my keyboard and regular mouse stopped working, but an older Logitech Click! optical mouse continued to work. I didn't think to keep the computer going to see if it was going to be affected, but it at least didn't fail as fast as the others, if it was going to at all.
    Keyboard and mouse are Razer Lycosa keyboard and Razer Imperator mouse. I don't know if it's relevant, but I've always had to click once when booted into windows before the mouse would begin responding, also on my old hardware.

I am at my wits' end, and honestly have no idea how to solve this problem. I hope one of you can help, since I really have no idea what to do next.

Have posted this to the AMD Game forum as well

Thanks.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    hmm... so is that the latest mobo bios? are you sure the card is seated properly? is the gfx card with a custom cooler? maybe something is shorting

do you have cheap $10 generic keyboards & mice to try? or other usb ports

3. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
    Updating BIOS now through the Gigabyte @BIOS utility, will see if it changes anything next time I try installing the AMD Driver.
    Graphics card is properly seated, and fitted with the standard ASUS CUII Cooler as seen here: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD7850DC22GD5/

I tried looking around the house for an old keyboard, but havent been able to find any.

When I first got the random mouse freezing, I tried switching USB ports but the problem persisted and when I plugged into the ports i had already used, it was as if they were just turned off, Windows didnt notice any changes

4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i suppose you could check for razr driver updates too

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Using an Intel motherboard, you wouldn't have AMD AHCI or USB drivers installed. Those are specific to AMD chipsets.

Sounds more like issues with your mouse or it's driver.

Graphics drivers have absolutely zero relation to USB drivers.

6. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
    Which is why I find this incredibly odd, as it only happens when I've installed the AMD graphics driver and restarted the computer.

I've just updated keyboard/mouse drivers and updated the mouse firmware - Will see if it helps tomorrow

7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    the thing about having a gfx driver installed is that now the card is fully recognized & communicating through the chipset together with the usb ports, so i guess in a crazy way it's possible (for the mobo/chipset to be malfunctioning)

(on a related note, i remember a few people kept saying certain cards/drivers/CF interfered with their combination of logitech keyboards with the info screen)

8. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
    Update:

Updated motherboard BIOS.
    Updated keyboard and mouse drivers (Lycosa and Imperator) and mouse firmware.

Installed AMD driver with both razer kb&m and old, cheap logitech kb&m plugged in. After first restart, all equipment failed. Rebooted without razer hardware, and Logitech still failed after few minutes.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With Sandy Bridge, the graphics card links to the PCIe controller on the processor not the chipset.

10. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
    Update:

Removed 7850 card, replaced with 4870 card.

First time booting up with old 4870 card, i was told a driver had been installed (by windows) and needed a restart. I initiated the reboot and I got to POST before the computer shut down and booted up again.

berfore the amd driver was fiinished downloading, the keyboard and mouse had stopped working.

i shut down, removed the 4870 and tried booting using the intel graphics. the screen flickers and the keyyboard stopped working while making this post, but the mouse still works, and im typing this via onscreen keyboard. there cant be much ddoubt now that the problem has somethung to do w/ grafx drivers gettting installed affecting the usb/kb/mousek

EDIT: While recording a small video of the situation, I unplugged the keyboard and plugged it back in, and it started working again.

11. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Omg, if you have problems even with intel graphics (without AMD card plugged AMD drivers are not even started) looks like you have problems with mobo. AMD Chipset drivers cannot even be installed on Intel motherboard, and graphics drivers does not have any chipset or system components. Screen flickering with mobo\processor integrated graphics almost always lead to dead computer - such simptomes had mine 780G AM2+ motherboard before it died completely.

Try to wipe all AMD and keyboard\mouse drivers, install Intel INF again and test computer with Intel graphics. Then install your keyboard\mouse software. If all be good, then we can say that AMD screwed something in drivers.

12. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
  13. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
    Installed windows again, no problems with kb/m or flickering screen yet.
    Have not installed intel graphics driver.
    Have used Intel INF Update utility and rebooted.
    Have installed Realtek Ethernet driver
    -
    Installed Intel Graphics driver, currently restarting
    After restart, screen begins to flicker, but not as much as before reformat. Keyboard/mouse still working

Started mashing the keyboard in notepad to possibly provoke a response. May not be the cause, but computer went into BSOD ~7 minutes after booting up
    Upon reboot after BSOD mouse kept freezing and stopped working after just a minute. Screen flickering seems more intense than before BSOD.
    Keyboard kept working, had NOT been used before mouse died. Tried to navigate to eventviewer to get a BSOD code. While typing eventvwr.msc, the keyboard froze and kept repeating mmmmmmmmmmmm in the Run prompt. Lights went out in the keyboard and is no longer responding

It seems installing a graphics driver, restarting and then transmitting data through USB kills the USB system somehow?
    --

Left the computer on while typing this post. Screen flickering has stopped completely after mouse & keyboard died. Computer is still active, the clock changes every minute

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Tip....

Create a shortcut to the Intel INF update file. Edit the "Target" for the shortcut to include "-overall" at the end (right click on the shortcut and go to Properties). Then run it from the shortcut on your desktop. This will force the installer to overwrite drivers for EVERY Intel device with proper drivers.

If this doesn't fix your issues, RMA the motherboard. It's completely impossible for graphics drivers to cause what you're describing.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check the event log, it may tell you what is failing.

16. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
    Booted into safemode, ran the INF Update as you suggested and rebooted normally.
    Screen flickering persists, but not as severe as before reformat. Keyboard stopped working very soon after boot.

I guess I have to send the motherboard in for an RMA.
    Thanks for the advice guys, it really helped narrow down the cause of the problem

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Do NOT install drivers in safe mode...EVER.

18. Tumleren

Tumleren Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7850
    Very well; Rebooted into normal Windows (slight screen flickering), installed driver through shortcut as above, and restarted.
    Booted up, and BSOD'ed ~2 minutes later