Help choosing z97 mobo

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by marcoloves360, Apr 6, 2015.

1. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
    Hi everyone I have been looking for an upgrade, my current mobo Asus m5a99x evo died.
    The ones I have in mind are :

MSI z97 gaming 7 @ £136.46 amazon
    Asus z97 maximus hero VII @ £159 amazon
    Gigabyte ?? Gaming ??

The first priority for me is:
    OC capabilities
    Driver/BIOS support

The CPU will be the i5 4690k or the new broadwell if it comes this month. I have an swifthech h220x and I will do extreme OC on it.

This is mainly for gaming and some Sony Vegas render/edit.

I want to ear you all :)

My last Intel was an e6400. I'm back :banana:

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Since it was found that Gigabyte reduce things like PWM phases on later revisions of their motherboards, I would avoid them or at least check extremely carefully on the revision and spec that you're buying.

You should also look into the number of phases on the maximus hero, I believe the Z97 pro is better in that respect.

I've heard good things about the MSI but can't really give any info on it.

3. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    I would pretty much avoid Gigabyte. Their bios support is pretty shoddy. Most z97 boards, and even X99 have USB boot issues as well as other deficiencies. Their tech support is "weak" as well. Asus would be my first choice...MSI, I don't have much to share.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The MSI z97 Gaming 7 or the Asus M7H. You can't go wrong with either.

5. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Asus maximus VII hero is working good for me, with zero issues. Had this 4790k @ 5Ghz last night. Not stable lol but good enough to pass 3dmark firestrike.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6521118
    There are more options in the BIOS than I could ever use or more to the point know how to use. Looks great as well.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  6. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Had the chance to pull the trigger on the Maximus VII Hero just this past weekend, since Newegg had a rather good sale on it. That certainly was one of the better moves I've made yet.

7. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    I just went through 2x Maximus VII Heroes. Neither of them could run my 290x at PCI-E 16x 3.0, only 8x 3.0. I am looking at a different board myself.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And no other will either, I think.. Haswell cpu has 16 pcie lanes, Skylake will change that to 20 lanes.

My mobo has 3x pcie 16x slots and it can do 8x8x4x

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Strange, but its really a non issue. A 290X at 3.0 8X will have more than enough bandwidth to function at full strength.

10. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    I completely understand that and address it in my post:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398701

It's the principal of the matter. Since the CPU can only address 16 lanes, and I want to upgrade to another 290x in crossfire, will I have issues running them dual at x8/x8? What about when I add the M.2 drive, and it shares that PCI-Ex bandwidth? The idea is, if I am already having issues from a second replacement new board, why keep it? I need full bandwidth support for the second card and the M.2 SSD in the future.

11. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    You're confusing the topic. A single 290x should be supported at full x16 3.0. If I had a secondary GPU, then it'd be cut down to x8/x8 in dual mode.

12. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Well I see that not much support for the Gigabyte brand, but just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I just recently upgraded to the blue team and got the same CPU your getting and I grabbed the Gigabyte I have listed in my sys specs and it's been the greatest board I've had to date. It's been really good with Oc'n(got my 4690k at 4.5 very stable and cool with my little ol Coolermaster V6gt cooler). Booted first try and been running like a dream. Plus the sound is really good on it. This is my first Gigabyte board and so far so good(maybe I got lucky??)

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Fair enough. I find it hard to believe you had *a defect* on two boards in a row, though. Unless you're populating one of the lower PCIE slots that shares lanes with the main two, or using some setting. I'm sure it's something silly.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  14. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    I don't even have the sound card in there. There is nothing else on any of the PCI-E lanes except for the 290x.

Here's a SS of the replacement ordered on April 14th:
    [​IMG]

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm sorry for the wording. I don't mean that I don't believe you tested two boards. I just mean I don't believe this is an actual defect with the board itself, but rather an incompatibility somewhere. Either way, I can understand the frustration and the expectation for it to function as intended.

16. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    I just recently upgraded to my sabranco! I love the Sabertooth Z97 mark S soo much and the UEFI interface is awesome!

Just wish i had a White camo gfx card to go with it...
    i highly recommend it BUT its expensive (like 280$)