GTX 970/980 voltage spikes found

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by stevevnicks, Oct 22, 2014.

1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I wouldn't really worry about it as long as the temps are good and cards aren't failing as a result. Making such a claim as THG is without any evidence of such is pretty meaningless. I'd expect to see figures and a video recording showing these "voltage spikes".

3. Spenty

Spenty Guest

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    Most cards have these spikes, it's just being blown out of proportion with the 9 series as people don't believe the energy efficiency hype.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Its been a while from when I read that article, but I thought they were talking current spikes, meaning it draws more current and they were trying to say it not as good or not better than 7xx series .
    9xx is very dynamic in how much it pulls so avg is very good but with high loads it does go up .

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is no graph showing what spikes exactly. They have equipment good enough to do proper tests, but they did just lame excuse of analysis.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-11.html

Should have measured and show in one graph Voltage and Current for:
    Power connectors, Output from memory VRMs, Outputs from GPU VRMs.
    That way one can decide if it is harmful or not. Their total power consumption goes up to 250W at times which is just fine.
    If spiking was actually Voltage spiking from VRMs hitting GPU/Memories, I would worry.

But they did not do such kind of analysis.