GTX 680 2GB Sli vs GTX780ti 3GB SLi

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PurSpyk!!, Jun 26, 2014.

1. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I currently have 2 GTX 680 2MB cards in SLi, run games at 1920x1080, but games like Skyrim with only a few mods seem to use all the vram on my current setup. I wont be gaming on anything higher than 1920x1080, so would buying a GTX 780Ti be worth it. I have got a very good deal on 2 of these cards

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    1080p 60Hz or 120Hz?

3. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Well, as i said in the other thread, i think youll encounter issues with 3gb pretty soon at 1080p aswell...

But if you can live with in the future not being able to use high quality AA and textures, then the 780 ti's will provide unmatched performance.

4. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    My monitor is 60Hz, but it can do 75Hz, only play on one screen

5. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I like having all the settings on high, most of the new games don't appeal to me, I think currently the only game that looks decent is The Witcher III, but the recommended specs haven't even been released yet. Probably recommend a higher end 800 series.

I can get a decent price for my 680's now, but I am sure the resell price once the 800's come out will be significantly less, but wasting money burns my ass.

6. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Well, if we are to believe rumors, then 880 will only provide around 10% more performance than 780 ti.

Regardless, i cant possibly imagine that 780 ti sli shouldnt be powerful enough for 1080p for many years to come... what i do doubt, is wether its 3gb vram will be sufficient for max settings.

7. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I am sure the GPU will not be an issue, its the vram that is bothering me. But I can get these cards at a 30% discount.

8. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    W00t...! thats a huge discount :O

Id order them then... youd be able to sell them later on, at almost the same Price you bought them for.

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I'd take that deal on the 780 ti's now, 3gb will be enough at 1080p for years to come if you don't mod the crap out of your games or use 3rd party programs to force ungodly amounts of AA.

You'll be safe for in-game max setting with high levels of AA.

10. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    No - some games (Watch dogs for instance) will use well above 3gb vram with high levels of AA, and more games will follow that trend, as they are written for the new consoles unified memory.

11. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    No... OP never mentioned WD, and said there isn't many new games he's interested in.

Don't pass on a deal like that because of this of this ridiculous VRAM fear... at least with 3gb cards at 1080p.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just played WD with worse+maldo 08 and it uses little over 2.2gb so it would be just fine. Crysis 3 dont even use 2GB v.high.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    780Ti SLi for 1080p 75Hz is complete overkill even if you like higher levels of AA, particularly on older games.

Instead of a second card, get a 1440p monitor (Korean) and turn down the AA. You'll have a much better experience. 1440p no AA is pretty close performance-wise to 1080p 4xMSAA.

Also, I'd take a couple of 290s over a 780Ti anytime. Close prices, much more performance, more VRAM.

14. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    No, but he did mention the witcher 3, which will use a butt load aswell.

But i agree, he shouldnt pass on a deal like that - as i said, he can sell the Cards later if he doesnt like them, for the same (or maybe even more) than what he paid for them.

15. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Watch Dongs is an interesting game, it came free with many Nvidia graphics cards, yet they seem unable to run the game correctly. You have to wonder what the developers use for testing and development, when the so called to end cards have issues wit the game. I doubt I will ever run Watch Dogs, but my concern is in years time, 3GB might be way too little. I have had my 680's for about 1.5 years now, and never expected to be looking for an upgrade so soon.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well those like @yasamoka who went with 7900's instead still dont need to upgrade. You see what i did there?

17. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    If you are worried about vram limitations then consider the above quote, or go 6gb 780's.

18. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    2x 7950 was an insanely good deal, no doubt about it.

But my experience with nvidia has just been so much better than with amd (drivers drivers drivers), that it would take ALOT to sway me towards amd. Then Again, OP isnt me, so maybe he could be tempted to buying 2x 290 non x versions, with aftermarket coolers (they are very good deals, just as 7950 was).

19. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    He mentioned in another thread, that 6gb 780s Arent available in South africa.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    3GB will be a problem next year in some games, that's for sure. Then again, it depends on how the game handles it. W_D handles it terribly but BF4 handled it well (I capped VRAM on my old 680s SLI but didn't experience much stuttering or FPS drops)

But 30% off on 780Tis is damn good so go for it.