Anyone have video of Nvidia's Fall 2002 GeForceFX conference/launch event ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ThunderForce, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ThunderForce

ThunderForce Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4 MB
    Hey guys, I just joined the community.

I was hoping someone here might have footage of Nvidia's Fall 2002 conference event where Jen-Hsun detailed the NV30 GPU (GeForceFX) for the first time.

They mentioned why it was called GeForce FX (because it was the first time the former 3DFX had really contributed to the design) and Jen-Hsun showed some slides showing several other 3D graphics companies that played some role in GFFX development.

This was not from 2003, when FX 5800 was actually released, but the event where Nvidia paper launched it. It might have been a presentation called 'The Dawn of Cinematic Computing' but I'm pretty certain this happened in November 2002. That's all I have to go on. I'd really appreciate being able to see that again -- Never been able to find it on Youtube but it used to be on Nvidia's main site years ago.

Would be much appreciated.

2. ThunderForce

ThunderForce Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4 MB
    No replies?

:/

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Was that the conference where they showed off the "Dawn" tech demo?

EDIT: Found something related but no video.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/IndieGamesConf.html

EDIT2: Found something more promising, http://www.gdcvault.com/free/gdc-02
    http://www.gdcvault.com/free/gdc-03

http://www.gdcvault.com/browse/gdc-02

This website is a horrific mess but if they don't have it then its probably lost.

EDIT3:

Bingo! And its a dead link. http://www.nvidia.com/object/gdc_2002.html

EDIT4: Out of pure boredom i've started a livechat with nvidia support to sort this out. :D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This is a time in Nvidias past everyone wants to forget

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Shailendra: Hi, my name is Shailendra. How may I help you?
    Scott: Hello, I was looking to find the original footage from nvidia's press conference at GDC in 2002.
    Scott: I found a link but its dead, http://www.nvidia.com/object/gdc_2002.html
    Scott: I'm sorry if this is maybe out of your reach but having that footage would be quite a big help to me.
    Shailendra: I am checking it.
    Shailendra: Please give me sometime I will check this information.
    Shailendra: Thank you for your patience.
    Shailendra: Since, this video is more than 10 years old I doubt if it is available however, I will escalate this issue further.
    Shailendra: You will get update from our side through email, we are escalating this case further
    Scott: Ok, you have my email right? Thanks for the help!
    Shailendra: Email address in our database is ************.com
    Scott: That is correct, thanks for the help.
    You have disconnected.

There is yet hope, OP.

As soon as I get the email i'll upload it to youtube.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Thats an awful line that I thought I forgot about, went for a 9800 pro that series when pny gave me some crap fx5700 as a replacement for a dead 4600ti, after several threats they finally gave me a not as crappy 5900 non ultra. the fx series was named as such as a tribute to 3dfx, they did not have anything to do with that abomination. After my time with the 9800 pro, 3dfx moved into number 2 of my favorite gpu brand and stayed there to this day.

7. ThunderForce

ThunderForce Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4 MB
    Hey guys, thanks for putting in the effort! The conference I'm looking for is definitely from late 2002, it would be around Comdex, so GDC 2002 is much too early in the year

The November 2002 conference was probably titled The Dawn of Cinematic Computing and yes the Dawn demo was most likely shown there.

8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There isn't any real 3rd party media footage because that was in an era where digital video hadn't even really started. Nobody was shooting video. Actually the presentation back then was (for a handful of tech-media) in the NV building in a simple conference room. Next to that there was an event in LA where there was some footage taken by Nv themselves.

I do remember this and most likely have photos on it stashed somewhere in a sub-sub-sub-sub-directory.

[​IMG]

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Haha would probably be great if you can go through all the old pictures from conferences and presentations... maybe even things we've never seen make it to the news (wasn't newsworthy at the time) and write up an article titled "nostalgia" about it. A timeline of some sort.

:banana:

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    seeking for this video is like asking for a cancer from the past :D

I remember when i got excited about 9800XT that i bought, and my friend bought 5950, 9800XT raped it without even a challenge.

FX series should die and no one mention it again EVER!!!

12. ThunderForce

ThunderForce Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4 MB
    Definitely Fall Comdex 2002 shown in that first link. I wish there was a video there....

What I am after specifically is where Jen Hsun mentions technology and/or engineering contributions from 3Dlabs, Real3D (the former Lockheed Martin computer graphics company), Evans & Sutherland (who had the REAL Image line of cards that competed with LM / Real3D), etc.

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Hey I got an email back, Bad news though.

[​IMG]

14. ThunderForce

ThunderForce Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4 MB
    That kind of sucks.

They probably don't have a video of Fall 2002 Comdex either. That's where Nvidia soft-launched GeForce FX.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Nvidia almost went bankrupt after the FX disaster, the Radeon dominated hard, nvidia failed harder.

Lucky for them, Geforce 6 changed all of that, but the real gem was Geforce 8800.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I had the 5800 FX leaf blower. Oh it blew alright. Damn that thing got hot. Then I got a 5900 non ultra and even the high overclock didn't help in anything dx9 related thanks to their fp16 or fp32 and not following the dx9 standard of fp24 - they got cocky and paid dearly. 9800 Pro 128MB ended up serving me quite well after all that. Ugh. What a garbage era that was for nvidia. That 6800 GT was a nice turn around though.

17. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    I think my phone can out power a render farm of all fx 5200s in existence

18. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    You'd need about 40 FX 5200 to outclass a iphone 6s, if you only use GFLOPS as a measurement.

19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    why wouldnt a company archive its stuff..

I would of kept everything from the start of the company...

especially videos

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  20. ThunderForce

ThunderForce Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4 MB
    Yeah, that's really a shame :/