issue with 970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    This card keeps dropping its core clock to 835MHz. When I start up any benchmark program or game for that matter, the card jumps to it oc clocks for about 4 seconds. Then it will drop. It does this when not overclocked too. This just started today. I've tried just about everything I can think of outside of calling evga for a replacement. Maybe I missed something and one you can suggest something else.

Thanks for the help.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Sometimes its just stuck in low3d after bad OC.. Did you try to overwrite/reinstall driver?

3. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    are you on win10? i had a weird issue that was similar,whereas mine would go into 3d clocks an stay there no matter what even with everything shut down,fixed it after doing a windows reset ,then ran into the usb keyboard an mouse not working issue,luckily had an old ps2 keyboard laying around to fix that,it did fix my problem though an gpu runnin nice an solid again

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yes. It was still doing it.

I don't have another card to test right now. Everything, with the exception of the bench check, was one of the first things I did. When I noticed the clocks dropping, I quit the test. I'll run some tests when i get home.

Yes. I am on Windows 10. Everything was working fine last night.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Something is definitely up with this computer. I pulled the card out and put it in my computer and its running fine. I'm not sure what's going on here.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Free up some pci-e lanes. Remove the sound card or anything using it and try different pci-e slot (second one).

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    He'd be mad using a sound card when he is running magni/modi.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I have it in the other pci-e slot and its working fine. Maybe the first slot is going bad.

EDIT:

I Put it back in the first pci-e slot and now it's working like it should. I have no clue what happened to make it work again. I'll be keeping an eye on this for a few days.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk, it could be. Strange tho but im glad changing pci-e slot did the trick. :p

I think your second slot is also x16 (if first is not used) so its all fine.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If it happens again, i know what to do now. I may just contact Gigabyte anyways. and see what they say.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ I had a somewhat related issue with my GPU after numerous BIOS flashes in Win 10.

My fix was to completely power the system down for a while, chances are this was the trick here too (you probably unplugged or switched off the PSU before removing the graphics card ;)).

Win 10 I think uses some "extra soft-off" feature, basically the system is on really low power state but not exactly at standby as used to be the case.
    So you need to unpower the PSU for a proper reset of the system. I think.

12. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    glad you got it working again man,game on!

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well, it started messing up again. I have it in the second pci-e slot and the card is running fine. I'm going to keep it in this slot for a few days and see if anything changes. I sent an email to gigabyte about this situation. I'm hoping for a reply soon.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Still no word from Gigabyte on the matter. This card has been in the second pci-e slot all day and has been running normally. I will update this thread again when I get a reply back from Gigabyte

This isn't my computer. I built it as a surprise birthday gift for my niece and want to take sure everything is working as it should before i give it too her. I just have my audio from my computer hooked up because I can't stand the onboard one. I still have a couple months. Hopefully I can get everything sorted.