Windows 9 Charms bar has been barred

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    WinBeta received word that the new operating system may drop or significantly change the way the Charms Bar functions for desktop users. Windows Threshold is shaping up to be an operating system very...

Windows 9 Charms bar has been barred

2. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Oh man, such innovation! Wanna 2 of these!

3. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    waht will these bring..??????

Interface (OS)....>>>>
    ----------------------------------------
    Nicolas Tesla said bfore..... there's a very big difference between PROGRESS and TECHNOLOGY....
    -----------------------------------------

4. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yea keep removing things, that's an excellent idea

5. bmxjumperc

bmxjumperc Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 640
    I like the modern UI implementation and all of the improvements Windows 8 and 8.1 made over 7 a lot.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Finally MS seeing sense and giving a real desktop OS back to desktop users

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It is when it's an annoyance, unneeded, and bloats your software

8. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Im using windows 8.1 now for 5 weeks and my verdict is it's not difficult to use but there is no logic in the whole system. Windows 7 i still like alot more.

I just hope windows 9 is back to old desktop and **** this whole charm tiles metro system it;s un logical in use and stupid.

Oh all who claim windows 8.1 is alot faster also lie about that, its maybe fraction faster i have maybe 1 sec win to desktop over my win7 install 5 weeks ago.

Benchmarks are almost same not much gain there little faster.

Give me windows 7 any day over windows 8.1.

But have to do with win 8.1 for now, i just hope windows 9 will be for desktop users again.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Install StartIsBack > Disable Metro = Win 7 with all the 8.1 under the hood improvements

10. fusion

fusion Guest

GPU:
    6850hd radeon / 1GB
    Microsoft are really doing some amazing things these days. Reworking menus and charms bars. Must take years to figure out how to do these things, decades. Really moving in leaps and bounds.

11. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I know I'll be in the minority, but as a desktop user and Windows 8.1 user - I'll be pretty pissed if they don't at least allow desktop users the choice of using the Modern UI.

I much prefer the Modern UI over the standard desktop start menu from Windows 7, i do like the look of the proposed new Start menu (the one that combines the old menu with tiles from the new one), but i really do want to keep the full Modern UI as i really do prefer it.

They really should have had the choice to use the Windows 7 style menu in Windows 8/8.1, and i really hope they've learned their lesion in giving OPTIONS!.

12. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well that pisses me off, I use the Charms bar a lot.

13. Roman9441

Roman9441 Member

GPU:
    GTX970 4GB
    I agreed with spets i use it a lot since i purchase 2 license of windows 8.1 I'm get addict to it. I think microsoft keep make windows worst day by day now :p

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    why a new os every year are they having a laugh?
    I vote to keep win8.1 and give it dx12 update.

15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    this..

annoying for companies as well. they worked to get things working on 8/8.1 and year later have to do it again.:bang:

at lest let 8.1 mature some.

it like hiring a new person and training them and then replacing them as soon as they trained.

heres hoping maybe windows 9 will be free or discounted.

because not every one is going to be willing to shell money over when they just bought a windows 8 machine or license.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I hadn't considered the business side of things waw.

17. Kaapstad

Kaapstad Guest

GPU:
    4 x Titan X
    Microsoft makes that old saying

"worked like a charm" sound like something you should be RMAing.

I used Win8.1 for a couple of weeks before going back to Win7 and the thing I disliked most was the charms that kept popping up even when i had turned off most of them.

If Microsoft have got to have charms why don't they stick them on the right mouse click under a sub menu where they won't bother me.

18. I hope MS has learnt to keep the OS lean, to always retain tried and successful interface like the traditional desktop layout. If they want to push radical new UI/layouts then make it available but OPTIONAL. Then run stats to see if it is widely used enough to be considered popular or success. Take customer feedback seriously, make the changes we want and we will happily throw money at you.

MS you don't tell us what we like. WE tell you what we like. You make what we like, we buy. Was that hard to understand at all?

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    And nothing will change for your 2 licenses of 8.1, they're not removing it from 8.1

Like the charms bar, keep 8.1, simplez

Dunno why people are whining about them removing stuff from an unreleased version of windows

If you had a car with air conditioning, and the manufacturer announced they were going to release a new version of it without air con, would you whine on about that?

It doesn't affect your current car (OS) keep using it and don't use the new one if you hate it so much

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The same idea works for Win7 users. If you like the UI, keep Win7. For some reason, that idea seemed to piss off Win7 lovers.....