101 degrees 6950 Crossfire setup

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by syntax1993, Dec 22, 2011.

1. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    Hi, I'm kind of new here, hope I posted in the right place.
    I've posted it on Tom's hardware but didn't really get any straight answers there.

At this moment I've got a Silverstone Raven RV01 case with inside:
    - Asus P6X58D-E
    - 6GB 1600Mhz RAM
    - Coolermaster 850W Silent Pro Power supply
    - Intel 960 i7 @ 3.20Ghz
    - 2x Sapphire HD6950 Dirt 3 edition (2GB)

Now I've got a slight problem. So far, since there's about a couple of millimeters in between my 2 graphics cards, while gaming I've had 101 degrees celcius so far. Now there were 2 things I'd want.
    1. Getting a TV card in it as well
    2. Getting my temperature a bit lower

I was thinking about getting some water cooling system for the GPU's only. But had no idea how much it would cost for something like that. That way there would be a slot in between which could be used as slot for the TV card.

My 2nd idea was more of a question. Perhaps I could find a way to fit the graphics card into the case when i could change my PCI speed from 1x 16x 16x (as of how it looks on the picture, left nothing, 2 cards on the right) to 16x 1x 16x so that there would be 1 free slot in between the 2 cards.

I'm hoping anyone could give me some help on this.
    & I'm sorry for the crappy quality of the picture.

PC inside
    [​IMG]

Temperature
    [​IMG]

2nd card
    [​IMG]

As you guys can see, when I'd want to move the card 1 more slot to make some space for airflow the 2nd slot of the card (orange) would bump on the case back (red) and I'd lack one pci thingy space.

Thanks!
    Syntax1993

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Pull the bottom and middle slot covers off your case, that should drop your temps quite a bit....

3. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    Bottom and middle slot covers? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Thanks!
    Syntax1993

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Take the cards out and clean all the crap in the vents / fans / heatsinks out from the cards

5. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    I've already done that. The card got this hot like the 3rd day I've had the whole pc (all new components). There's no way it got full of dust in 3 days.

Thanks!
    Syntax1993

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Dont see much you can do apart from applying new thermal paste OR buying a new case.. Those cards are airflow starved.

7. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    Damn. I was hoping for a less expensive solution. I've sent a mail to the shop I've bought it to hear if they could trade the cards or case for another one.
    Any idea if watercooling is doable just for the GPU's? & how expensive it would be?

Thanks
    Syntax1993

Sent from my HTC HD2 running Windows Phone 7.5

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well two full water blocks would be about 100$ a peice for each card, a pump another 100$ tubing etc. id say total would run you at 350$ at the cheapest.

Unless you plan on keeping those cards for 2 or more years, dont bother. Otherwise i could recommend doing watercooling.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The metal covers on your case where the backplate would normally screw in.

Now I can see there is only one and it's at the bottom, but anyway remove that for a start..that''ll help the GPU fans suck in some outside air...

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Have you checked temps with other progs like GPU-Z?

11. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-hDoKZz1QQ&feature=player_embedded

Not a very case for air flow IMO. The GOOD.. having the board rotated 90 degrees vent heat through top. the BAD.. the vents at the bottom of the case seem too small for decent cool air intake. To the OP, how much can you afford(willing) to spend? I would suggest a new case. If that's not an option, I would suggest removing the clear window and replacing it with mesh

http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html
    you can cut it to fit the the window size, and the screws used for the window will hold it in place.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  12. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    I've sent the mail to the shop to ask whether they could trade me a new one. If so, I could spend about 200 euros on a case, hoping they have the case in that shop since they probably won't just give me money back but rather give me 170 euros 'discount' on a product at their shop.

The case itself was 170 euros so I'm hoping to get that money back. Would it be enough to get the same card, but with another kind of airflow? I mean a card with just 1 cooler which pushes the air to the dvi/hdmi ports (that direction)?

Thanks
    Syntax1993

13. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    I haven't checked the temp with another program since it was very likely it was that hot. Because I couldn't keep my hand on the metal of the back panel.
    Perhaps I should try it. I'll do that when I get home. I'm on my way to a brunch ATM.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The Dirt3 has one of the best GPU coolers available for the 6900, 6 heatpipes and 2 fans - so no you won't get much better cooling than what you have...

Might be a good idea to pull the side off your case until you can sort out the temp problem....running those cards at 100c can only be bad for them.

Also I was looking at those screenshots the wrong way, I thought they were rotated 90 degrees instead of the actual mobo rotated inside the case, lol.

15. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I got a Raven 2 and till now is the best case for air cooling that exist on the market.

I'm afraid you have another issue, the thermal paste on the GPU is rock solid so you will have to dissasamlbe the heat sinks and reaply thermal paste. It is impossible the reach 101°C (already throtle level) in that case. Try cleaning the dust filters from the coolers. Try running with open case and see the temps. If you don't have a dramatically temps improve than something is wrong with your GPU cooling.

What about your CPU temps, are you reaching under ITB 100°C too?? If it is the case than all the components in that case are doomed to heat:biggun:.

16. syntax1993

syntax1993 Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 6GB 1666
    I know. I'm not running any really heavy games ATM.
    So the only solution is get a new case or fix it with some home-made trick?
    Let's just hope I get a response today.
    I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the awesome feedback!

Syntax1993

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    See what happens when you remove the side panel, if the temps drop significantly then it's a good bet you have an airflow problem in your case.
    Check the temp with another app too, like GPU-Z just in case CCC is reading it wrong. (unlikely but u neva know...).

18. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    So, syntax1993, if you have P6X58D-E board, then you definitely can place your second card in the bottom PCIe slot (it will work in 8x mode, but believe me, the difference between x16 and x8 is nill... no moderday card uses all x16 bandwidth... I have some doubts about new AMD 7xxx, but all previous generations - definitely way under x16).

I SEE, that there is enough space for a card, but you probaly will have to cut metal a bit for proper card installation, and surely you will have to drill more holes in the bottom of the case... if you don't see a problem with it - do it.

I had a 100% same situation with my Thermaltake XaserIII case (I know, it's very old and not good either, don't know why I didn't change it eons ago).

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I've still got a Xaser III - the black steel version, very solid case (weighs a ton lol).

The cooling is OK but needs bigger fans imo...

20. wonton1017

wonton1017 Member

GPU:
    2x Galaxy GTX670 SLI
    I had a MATX motherboard with 2x gtx560ti's.

With little to no clearance between the cards like in your situation, there is really nothing you can do besides buying a new motherboard.

Something that might work is changing the case to a case with a side fan on it.

When my temps were going over the roof (95C in gtx560ti SLI), I immediately threw in 2 120mm fans blowing directly at the cards, held to the case by zip ties/ 3m tape. And turned on my side fan of my HAF-X case.

Temperatures dropped right down to 80C.

Getting a new motherboard however, allowed me to overclock excessively AND still have 5C lower than that without the ugly fans hanging around.