To buy or not to buy. Nvidia shield

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by pimpernell, Aug 14, 2014.

1. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I'm a bit on the fence if i wan't to buy or not.
    Nvidia shield tablet that is.

Right now i have a asus memopad fhd10 that i use for gaming/movies/music etc on the go.
    And i realy like many of the games on android marked.
    But if i buy a shield, then i will get access to the vaste library i got on steam.

Is there any reviews out there that actually test gaming from your home pc over 4g/3g? or at least a hotel wifi or something?
    I'm a bit worried that it maybe don't work as good as adverted.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Are you talking about streaming games from your PC at home, to a Shield tablet while you're travelling away from home?

3. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Yes, that is exactly what i'm talking about.

After a bit of searching i found this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9Vo_zKrk4
    There he streams to the shield portable (not pad), and i presume it would work about the same on the tab.

And more about how to do it here;
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...eam-outside-of-your-home-network-by-gungrave/
    Anyway i would have to wait for 32gb/4g version to be aviable here. Only the wifi only model is in shops now.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  4. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Well i ordered that tablet for everything else but game streaming.
    manga / android gaming / some cool excluvies like trine 2/ maybe twitch streaming / general use.
    For obvious reasons, that tablet is a beast. :)

Regarding game streaming techs, my honest opinion is.. they suck .. not specifically the nvidia streaming technology but ALL of them.

As a fighting games enthusiast i abolish game streaming, lag is annoying as hell.
    If you are streaming in your home network maybe most gamers wont be annoyed by lag while playing some slow paced games, but if you are streaming from home to the exterior that will be aggravated even more.

Well anyhow thats my personal opinion, but for what i had read in the reviews/comments/etc some ppl are happy with the nvidia shield streaming tech, others are not due to lag or picture quality (greater picture quality >> heavier the video stream >> impact on the connection and video decoding >> more lag)

They said nvidia tweaked the video quality in the latest patch so now its faster but uglier.

I sincerely hope game streaming dies a horrible death, but i will still get that tablet :)

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I have the new shield tablet and I can say without hesitation that the game streaming completely sucks. The Grid Beta and the home network game streaming is awful. I meet every requirement they have for it - I exceed the requirements, and it's still laggy.

Everything else about the tablet is fantastic. But if streaming is your only reason to purchase it, stay away. Onlive works better than this, though online suffers from pixelation and degraded quality, but at least it runs smoothly.

6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    So basicly it just very good android tablet?
    If the streaming technology don't work, the whole consept is kinda failed.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Game streaming is going to be "laggy" to some extent due to network latency. If you're trying to stream over the internet, it's just going to be unbearably "laggy"....

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Well. It depends on what nVidia does with the tegra k1 chip. Games like Half-Life 2, Portal and Trine 2 are exclusive to the chipset and a good start - if they don't drop the ball like they did with tegra 2, 3, and 4 and actually market a few exclusives rather than just tout a few extra particle effects compared to the typical android version (reminds me of pc vs. console these days), they may be able to separate themselves from other tablets.

They also need to get this chipset inside some phones asap if they ever want to penetrate the market with more than 1 or 2% of the share. Tablets are fine, but phones are where you make a name, make the money and lure in the developers. A new Chromebook was just announced to have the tegra k1.

It's a very powerful chip. And it really closes the gap between last gens consoles and mobile. I mean, the thing is running Trine 2 and running it well.

So the concept is really about it being a gaming tablet. Streaming seems like it's supposed to be a distraction while they round up developer support, unfortunately for the original shield handheld, the streaming distraction became it's only saving grace.

I took a chance on the tablet, I don't know if nVidia can do much with the power. I don't know if dev's will support something with such a little share of the market. But I wanted a tablet, this came out, it scratched that itch. The surface pro I have is still awesome, but I wanted something lighter and easier to carry around and the android OS to get readjusted and familiar with again.

If I were you, I would wait. Googles new Nexus is rumored to also have the tegra k1, by then there might be more support for the chip (or not) and a clearer picture if it's worth your time and money to get it.

If you're simply interested in just streaming, get a regular tablet, a bluetooth controller (the nyko pro is very nicely done and was developed closely with nVidia) and download the onlive app. Onlive is the best streaming gets right now. It's by no means perfect, but as far as streaming goes and stability, it's the best thing out there for now.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  9. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    IMO they have a beast tablet and are currently focusing the markting on the wrong thing (streaming) but like SerotoNiN said if the nexus tablet comes with the Tegra K1 the chip will get a boost on dedicated games and game ports.

But tbh the nexus tablet will probably come with qHD screen and that will kill the gaming experience and not to mention the battery, Trine 2 with qHD on a tablet? battery will go up in smoke lol.
    If that happens the shield tablet will still be a better choice, unless someone only wants a Tegra K1 tablet to read stuff and browse.