New pc racing sim: AssettoCorsa

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ])rStrangelove, Mar 2, 2012.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    just tried my hand online, raced the 458 GT2 around SPA... was doing ok, race pace was around 2:22:xxx without ever hooking up a semi clean lap. I can imagine on super softs I could very quickly get to qualify with a something like 2:20... ish...

seeing sub 2:20 pace in race is fair. Like what I'm seeing online though, sure there's the odd idiot, but for most part people will let faster drivers through without trying to pointlessly race them. Like that. I do that too, when I see someone is 3-4s faster than me, I'll just pull to the side so they can pass me.

Great to see online working like it is now. I remember trying online when it was in it's first beta and it was a cluster f*ck.

2. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    Theres a ton of attrition on alot of the servers. you can start in last place and by the time youve done a lap you can be in the top five. The servers seem to be filled with hot lappers who cant consistently keep theirs cars on the track. I Raced a 25 lapper at spa the other night started second and the pole sitter was pushing real hard early on softs in the ferrari. I was in the c7 vette on medium tires. I let him get 4 seconds ahead. By the time lap 11 rolled around i had already begun reeling him in...i was doing consistent 2:20's with out pushing. I passed him lap 15 and pulled away til the end i beat him by 18 seconds.. The lesson being be consistent and save your tires! You will win often!

3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    hotlapping is usually about 3 to 5 laps of fuel. so yea many would not have a clue of the range of tires and how quickly they can go off.

8 10 laps on softs etc taking those same corners the same speeds you have been will have you going off track or spinning out. and you really do not have the benefit of a pit crew to tell you when to ease up on your tires, or slow down, or pit in, all things you have to work out yourself by testing and learning how the different tires behave on different cars.

qualifying/hotlapping to race driving is night and day anyway only the best drivers are equally good at both. but some of the race stuff just comes via experience and learning when to be patient and when you have to push.

4. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    Does this game scale to 3440x1440? when i checked the in game settings the highest was 2715x, but i'm thinking that's my monitor limitations as i have a 27 inch monitor. I may get the Lg um 95 34 inch monitor which is 3440x1440 native resolution!!!

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Well i ran it fine with dsr scaling on my rig, had to kill it for star citizen though, and gave me better fps overall so. Not sure what the max native resolution is in game, triple monitor 4k it can support, but no clue on that resolution, but there is always dsr or scaling in general as an option.

6. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
  8. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    go buy the gr5 pack for R3E?

9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I don’t even see the G5 pack for RRRE for some reason. Haven’t even booted it since last September. Need to revisit it at some point. Anyways this is the AC thread.

Have to say I’m excited for the new packs, but at the same time I want a bit more form it. Like added weather or/and day and night cycle. Improved AI and sounds too.

That said switching between Project CARS, AC and GT6 – same car, same track, I find AC to be the best. The handling and FFB is just superb. And somehow I really like the clean look and feel of it. Compared to Project CARS where everything is a bit overdesigned?

Still, for sheer driving pleasure, hot lapping those laser scanned tracks like SPA and the Ring, AC unmatched in my book!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  10. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    New patch 1.1.6
    And also here's a note from patch 1.1.5 that I find all kinds of interesting :)

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I agree, I've been playing a fair bit of pCARS recently and I have to say, AC feels better. pCARS can look great at times, really overdone and fake at other times. pCARS has more cars and tracks officially in the game, which is nice. They both have their pros and cons but overall, AC is the game that does what it does better. It just needs more content directly from Kunos because not everyone likes to fiddle with mods, not to mention the headache of joining multiplayer races with modded content.

Have you tried rF2 btw? In terms of FFB and tyre physics it seems to be the best to me, haven't played it for a while though.

12. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I go through phases, Dec and January I did AC with custom seasons, and very little Pcars, then with DTM1992 in R3E I had fun with that, then I spent some time with Pcars again, I always thoroughly enjoy the challenge and variation in each race. My main gripe with pcars is the FFB, it is good, the effects are there, just too weak. But AC FFB, feels good, powerful, but a bit tinny and missing some effects.
    My current squeeze is back to R3E, just cos the Group5 are so much fun.
    Not spent much time with rfactor2, the lack of decent content is main reason, and the very unfinished look to it. Though if the chap working on the old TCL mod finishes it, I can guarantee it will be my go to game again.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    definitely worth giving rF2 a go, for FFB alone, it's the best out there.

14. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    As I said though, I've given it a go, but lack of content and an unfinished look is my issue.
    If it had custom seasons, perhaps, but all we've done in pcars, r3e, AC and RF2, until recently, is hotlap or single race, I am bored rigid with that now, so if no career or season is available, then its not even on my radar again until then.

15. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Haven’t tried rF2. I just can’t stand how it looks. And to me it is dead in the water. Took far too long for it to get somewhere and times have changed. If you are into MODs (I’m not anymore) they have moved to AC. With Project CARS, RRRE and AC getting better and better I think that rF2 will just die off. Shame, because there was a potential in it.

BTW eclap – like your AC pics in the screenshot thread :)

16. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I think you might be right drandiiski, the sad thing is, we will be out of pocket too.

17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

Why i was reading the tea leaves months ago it was lookingg like the mod scene for rfactor was just mostly headed to other games.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They're pCARS shots lol.

19. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Whaaat? Haha yes they are. Don’t know why I assumed it was AC. May be it had to do something with your history with the project …

20. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    I am waiting for the Lamborghini dream pack :)