Need advice about HDD.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by freeman94, Sep 25, 2014.

1. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Hi.
    So, I've got 1TB drive with is almost filled up, and I'm thinking about adding another one in RAID.
    The thing is that my motherboard ASUS P8H77M-PRO came with 2x SATA III and 4x SATA II.

I've got already plugged in my SATA III SSD Drive and HDD to it so there is no SATA III ports left. What would you suggest me in this manner.

1. Buy another 1TB drive and plug them in SATA II as Raid0 (could it be no gain compare to single sata III drive?)
    2. Buy another 1TB Drive and plug them in SATA III / SATA II and make them in Raid, It' could be bad idea, bandwitch,possible issues what you think?
    3. Sell my drive (working, no bad-sectors etc) and buy ONE 2/3TB drive plug it into SATA 3 as I have now, my drive and don't use RAID at all?

Keep in mind that I have Build-in Intel Raid Controller.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    For storage you might as well just use the SATA II ports that are free, but setting up RAID 0 means 100% wiping both drives used, so your 1TB with all your files on that is nearly full, will have to be wiped if you want it in RAID0

Or buy 2 more 1TBs, set them into RAID0 and then copy the stuff over to them

Might be just as easy to buy a 2TB and stick it on a SATA II port

3. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    If you care about your data on that 1TB do not do a RAID 0. Besides, the overhead from a crappy onboard controller is going to negate a lot of the speed benefit. Never use an onboard controller for anything other than single drives, a RAID 1, or JBOD (though I don't really recommend this).

I would buy a bigger drive and copy everything to it. Then wipe the 1TB and setup a scheduled backup of essential files (family photos and important documents, most music and videos can be gotten back other ways). The bigger drive would use the faster SATA III port and the 1TB can sit on a slower port. But that is just me.