Memory speed and timings reading wrong in Windows????

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by CPC_RedDawn, Mar 15, 2017.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just setup my 1800x, asus prime x370 mobo, and 16gb 3200mhz gskill memory.

I have it under water cooling with a predator 360.

Currently have it at 4GHz 1.375V and it seems stable not fully tested yet.

D.O.C.P doesn't seem to work properly so I have manually set the memory in the BIOS to 2933MHz and set the timings to 14-14-14-30-1t (its rated to CAS16 timings at 3200MHz). I have not tried to get it higher just yet.

However, HWInfo, and CPUZ are both showing the memory at 1064.5MHz (basically 2133MHz) 15-15-15-35-2T???????

Is this a wrong reading as when I reboot and go back into the BIOS it shows the settings I inputted correctly?

I have the lastest BIOS for this board it already came installed and there is no newer version just yet.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I dont think its a false reading.

I just dont think this memory kit is properly supported yet with this board.

Checked the QVL list and its not on there.

I went back into the BIOS and the ram was set to 2133MHz 1.2v 15-15-15-35-2T.

If I manually set it to anything else sometimes the PC fails to post and just shuts off. Pushing the power button to turn it back on does nothing and I have to wait a while and then turn it back on and the memory is back to 2133MHz 1.2v even though I go across to A.I Tweaker page and all my settings are still there.

Might try a higher CPU vcore tomorrow and see if that helps with the RAM maybe it will. Not sure.

Even with 2133MHz and 4GHz 1.375v I am still getting 1723cb in cinebench which isn't bad to be honest.

Hopefully new BIOS comes out soon for this board which helps with support.

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Maybe i can be of any help. Can you tell me more exactly about your Ram specifications ? Model number complete latencies and voltage. Do me a favor , pull out one of the ram sticks and look closely between the actual mem chips and the heatspreader , use a flashlight or your cell phone for it. If you see mem chips on both sides it is SK Hynix ics memory double sided. If you see only one side with mem chips and the other side empty it is Samsung single sided memory. ( could be B-die , C-die or D-die ICs )

I go a few tricks that might help you get it to at least 2666Mhz if it's SK hynix. Let me know your findings.

Regards: Chispy

4. Chunder Tunt

Chunder Tunt Guest

GPU:
    1070 FTW (w/ pads)
    This is a bug in Windows that has been around since Win 8 in my experience. Use CPU-z or the like to get accurate readings. The task manager doesn't like overclocking, it may be a BIOS x Windows thing as well.

EDIT: This was an MSI board I had the issue with. Haven't tried my Asus.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I always use CPUZ

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Most likely it is a bios issue. With the board in my sig, the first several bios releases would override certain ram timings based on other ram settings. Only way found that out was through Everest (Aida64 now). Psychlone posted some of my findings on the board in his sticky above. Dying without my board. Love finding nuances in different bios versions.

The QVL list for the board also states that the supported speed of the modules tested do not correspond to the rated speed of the modules for speeds above 2400.

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    What do they correspond to then ?

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    There are two columns. One column lists the speed the module is rated and the other is the speed the board supports the module at.