GPU Weird clicking/buzzing sound

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BudMovin, Mar 12, 2015.

1. BudMovin

BudMovin Guest

GPU:
    8gb
    I've had my computer for about a week and as of this afternoon, the GPU (a HIS 7950) started getting really hot. Looking into it further in MSI Afterburner, the voltage was downclocked to 825, from the stock 1031. It has been running at 1031 up until this afternoon. I moved the voltage back to stock and it immediately has this weird sound in the video. Does not matter if it is under full load or idle. The sound is constant. Whenever I reboot the computer or it goes to sleep, it auto-downvolts back to 825. There is no sound at 825. Nothing on the card was OC'd and I even tried it with the 2nd bios and the same thing happens. The higher I turn up the voltage, the worse the sound is. There are no visual problems on screen like artifacts or stuttering. Just the noise. It's not coil whine or the fans either, I've checked the fan controls with different speeds and this does not affect it.

Since I don't have enough posts to post URLS, please enter in RLtkXYUb60s into Google search. That is the Youtube ID of this video.

Here are some specs from the essentials....
    My PSU = EVGA Supernova 750 B1
    MOtherboard = Gigabyte X79-UP4
    GPU = HIS ICEQ 7950 Boost

Should I be looking at the GPU or the PSU as the culprit? How would I test to find out? Thank you for looking at this.

-Colin