Poll - Which GPU and why!?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danwillysxi, Jul 4, 2014.

?

Which GPU and why!?

1. MSI GeForce GTX 780 Gaming OC 6 GB

14.6%
  2. EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB SuperClocked

85.4%
  1. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Even at 60Hz, 1440p SLI would be required... for myself any way.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    One ti is rather weak for 1440. You are going to have to make comprises to have decent frame rates is heavy gpu titles. I wouldn't by a single ti and add a second in 12 to 18 months. I would buy 2 regular 780s now instead.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Weak? No. Not to our standards? Yes. A single 780Ti can do just fine at 1440p, especially if you don't go AA crazy. If you want 60+ fps constant, that's when you have to make concessions.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I'm pushing 1440p 110Hz quite effortlessly on the vast majority of games with slightly overclocked 7970s. Granted, no AA, but my FPS keeps up with 110Hz most of the time in many, many games. I doubt 1 780Ti for 1440p 60Hz isn't already good. We seem to underestimate the GPU power we have at our disposal currently.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    1 780ti is considerably weaker than my former 680 sli. Which in turn is considerably weaker than 7970 xfire. Now if you want to run with no aa or fxaa and reduced setting to keep an acceptable minimum framerate. 1 780ti is ok. Not something I would want to do on a 700 dollar gpu. Thats why I recommended 2 regular 780 3gb instead.

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Very much so. A single 780Ti at 1440p will run out of power quickly. I would never do that. SLI all the way.
    Of course you can buy a second 780Ti later, but at 1440p you might run into trouble due to quickly increasing vRAM demands as more and more cards with amounts of 4GB and above come out. It's a difficult time :)

7. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I'm going to rewind a bit...

Cheapest option, if you are ok with staying at 1080p:

- EVGA 780ti 3gb SC

Expensive option, and only makes sense if you going to get a new 1440p monitor now:

- MSI 780 6gb SLI (or even the 3gb model would be fine and save a bit)

That would be the better option, add the second 780ti when you upgrade the monitor resolution. Or replace it altogether depending on what's available at that time.

A single 780ti will run high settings at 1440p but maybe not at what would be considered acceptable frame rates (by many of us at least).

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    ^ agree if op can afford 2 regular 780 now that would be much better than a single 780ti now and another a year plus later.

9. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
  10. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    I had to create the above as a dummy post to reach 10 posts which will allow me to place links. Please ignore.

Again, thank you guys for the advice and taking the time to help me out. Do correct me if I'm wrong but these benchmark tests http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_780_ti_sc_acx_superclock_review,22.html with the EVGA 780ti SC show that you will still get good frames whilst running high settings and 2xMSAA on Battlefield 4. (I consider average 70 frames per second acceptable).

High octane first person shooter games aren't really my bag so I put Tomb Raider benchmark link below (that's where I usually reside in the action/adventure, 3rd person, RPG genre :)) as a comparison benchmark and that is averaging 100fps whilst on Ultra settings at 1440p with a single GPU.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_780_ti_sc_acx_superclock_review,19.html

With my games preference in mind, is the single superclocked EVGA 780ti @ QHD overall good enough to do the job I need it to do.... The benchmarks say yes.

11. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Based on the additional information you provided... then most definitely YES.

The 780ti at 1440p will suit you well, and when needed you can always add another.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Using much reduced aa settings yes. Only 2x aa in bf4. Fxaa in tomb raider. Throw in my settings in those games. Then most def no. The 780ti is only about 20% faster than 780. Keep that in mind before purchasing.

13. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Going of topic a little from the poll now but didn’t want to start a new thread... and apologies for the long post!

Could anyone who has experience with AMD comment or recommend them instead of Nvidia...? I had not really considered AMD as an option before, as a bit of newbie I was drawn to Nvidia as they seem to currently be the more popular of the two, IMO.

Getting to the point, I have come across the MSI Radeon R9-290X Lightning card and after reading some reviews it has now got my attention.

Looking at the following benchamark/review ( http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_290x_lightning_review,17.html ) it seems as though it only slightly compromises on power when compared to the EVGA 780ti SC (use the above links in my previous post as the comparison) but has the added benefit of 4GB.

Including the extra gig of VRAM AMD would also do me the great service of saving around £80 again when compared to the 780ti. I'm starting to think this is the ever so slightly better deal and option for me? FYI – as the above posts read gaming preferences are the same and I’ll be running at 1440p.

14. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Well my experience back then while using quad sli with 295, was that sli scaling was very good with 2 cards, less good with the third, and fourth added almost nothing.

I did comparisons back in far cry 2, where i was purely gpu bottlenecked - without sli i was getting 40 fps average in the benchmark, while i was getting 110 with quad sli. So a good increase in fps, but nowhere near 4 times as much.

But oppersite to what you say, ive actually heard from several people, that quad sli support has gotten worse since then :S