Windows tablet....

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Sep 5, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, I finally stepped off the Android bandwagon and bought a Windows tablet. Quite impressed with it thus far. It's a Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B. Runs Windows8.1 (not RT) and was very reasonably priced. I paid ~$202USD after tax.

Now, my concern here. I've had the tablet for less than 24hrs (at the time of this post) and it gets quite warm. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" since late December and I don't recall it getting anywhere near as warm, granted it is an ARM based tablet. Should I be worried about the heat as long as it's not actually burning me? The tablet was cheap but performs extremely well and I'd hate to have to return it as I intend to sell the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0" and therefore would have no tablet.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I would imagine as it is a tablet and there are no fans, that it uses the chassis as part of the heatsink, and with it not being an ARM CPU, it will likely get hotter than your Android

That said, my Android tab and Windows Phone both get fairly warm to the touch when Ive been doing something stressful like playing games on them too

The CPU will get hot and the heat has to be expelled somewhere

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    What are you doing with it? I have Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-840FHD with Intel Z3745 and it stays cooler than Galaxy S while watching youtube and surffin' the web. My Lumia 920 sometimes almost burns me. Though, I guess that pretty much everything gets quite hot if you use them for gaming.

4. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    My Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet runs pretty cool though it is an Intel Atom quad core, I've never noticed much heat even when performing heavy tasks.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Mostly surfing the web so far. I don't have much in the way of apps installed yet. I'll play with it more later and see hot much hotter it gets. Just worried that there's something wrong with it.

It has a quad core Atom Z3735G in it....and it's very snappy. Makes my laptop feel slow....lol.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Does this sound about right ?

Temperature

The Toshiba Encore 2 WT8 stays cool under casual-usage scenarios although under load there's an area just under the rear camera that gets warm. We measured 48 degress Celsius which isn't enough to cause an worry here. Note that the Toshiba Encore 2 WT8 is fanless.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba-WT8-B-102-Tablet-Review.124034.0.html

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It is up towards the camera on the back side. Not sure what they consider "casual usage" though.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds about the same as theirs, Id say nothing to worry about if you're not the only one experiencing it, plus you'll have minimum 12 months warranty, if it lasts past 12 months without catching fire Id say you're fine :)