Microsoft rolling out Preview for Developers update for Windows Phone 8.1.1

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Extraordinary, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Microsoft rolling out Preview for Developers update for Windows Phone 8.1.1

[​IMG]

It is 1 PM Eastern Time, which means it is time for Microsoft to begin pushing out an OS update. Indeed, for those enrolled in the Preview for Developers program and who want an early look at the latest version of Windows Phone, a new update is now live. Version 14176 of Windows Phone 8.1.1 is the new update.

Source:
    http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-rolling-out-preview-developers-update-windows-phone-811

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It works well, I'm using it to write this :). Of course you have always been able to do that, but since I opened the thread I might as well comment.

3. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    All HTC devices are getting the update which is good news as HTC mistakenly said the low budget 8S wouldn't get 8.1 Update 1 which would go against Microsoft's policy of all phones being eligible for every single update.

I'm still waiting for the "official" update from HTC, however since they are receiving updates on the developer preview this means that they have released a newer firmware to work in conjunction with the OS meaning official updates are around the corner.

It strikes me as a little odd however with how long they've taken. When GDR!, GDR2 & GDR3 came out HTC was the first by miles to release the update.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Windows Developer Preview is hardware independent, there is no testing by HTC etc and no guarantees it will work properly on a particular phone.

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    There is no guarantee yes but Microsoft intentionally held back the HTC's from running 8.1.1 due to issues, they needed to work with HTC to resolve those issues and now that they are resolved they went ahead and released the update.

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    if only lumia firmware was included in DP now that Microsoft owns it...

7. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    They are pushing out Lumia firmware for those on the DP at a faster rate now.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^yes but some carriers are still blocking it aka "testing" it, its always kind of sad to see the current situation in regards to mobile devices, I hope some day I can just buy a phone and install whatever OS I want on it and use whatever network I want to use, just like you know.. your pc

9. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Sorry I said DP. Those on the DP bypass the carrier. As for those on carriers then I completely agree it is a sad situation.

I hope Microsoft look at this and change it similar to an iOS style in terms of updating.

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I've just updated my 8X to WP8.1 but I'm holding off on 8.1.1 until I familiarise myself with 8.1 and because 8.1.1 was only just released. It runs quite well, there was a weird issue in which the icons on the tiles were enlarged but a reboot after the update (standard procedure) solved the issue. Everything seems okay.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Update 1 just adds performance improvements and bug fixes really, along with Live Folders which are pretty cool, no major changes to the UI or anything else, oh and Cortana I think came to the UK with update 1 iirc

Been running it for a while now, don't remember much more than that being different from 8.1

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    After 8.1 it's 4 updates all-together as 1 single update. The first two are bug fixes, the third is Update 1 and the fourth is more bug fixing.

What I meant to say is I didn't want to update to Update 1 without some casual bug fixing. But since there is an update after Update 1 then I'll give it a go.

Windows Phone 8.1 Update
    OS version: 8.10.14141.167, 8.10.14147.180 or 8.10.14157.200

Folders. Folders let you organise your Start screen the way you want. Just push one Tile on top of another one to create a folder and get going.

Messaging. Combine multiple text messages into one, then forward them to someone else.

Selection. With improved selection, you can now delete multiple calls, messages or contacts.

Apps Corner. Apps Corner lets you specify apps that other people can use on a Windows Phone. Great for individuals and any-sized organisations who only want to provide the essential apps for others to use for work, school or any other reason.

Cortana. There's another way to start Cortana from a Bluetooth hands-free system in your car now – just tap the contact named "Cortana" and ask her whatever you want. And you're now able to do more things without unlocking your phone too, making your personal assistant even better.

Store. The new Live Tile for Windows Phone Store helps you discover new apps and games. Just pin the Store to Start and you're ready to go.

Internet Explorer. Improvements to Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Phone give you a better browsing experience on your phone. Spend less time panning and zooming and more time enjoying some of your favourite websites.

Alarms. Now you can customise the snooze time for an alarm, then enjoy a little more shut-eye for the time you want.

Accessory apps. Use accessory apps to get notifications from your phone on your smart watch, active phone cover, fitness tracker or other kinds of accessories.

Internet sharing. Now you can share your mobile data connection over Bluetooth, so you can get an Internet connection on more kinds of devices.

VPN. VPN now supports L2TP, which lets you connect to more VPN services. Whether you connect to a VPN for work or personal use, you can do it on your Windows Phone.

Narrator. Narrator now has touch typing and a way for you to turn off hints for controls and buttons if you don't want them read aloud. Some other improvements to Narrator help you unlock your phone a little more quickly, find and use the Back, Start and Search buttons more easily, and tell you when your phone screen is on or off.

For the sake of Cortana and Folders I'll give it a go!

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah yes, I may have missed a few additions to update 1 in my previous post lol

Mainly because I don't notice them tbh, Folders is the only one I see every day out of them all, IE I use, but not much, the rest I never use and the Live tile for the store only works in the US of A

Supposedly can get it working by changing your location to the US, rebooting, enabling live tile, changing back to UK rebooting again but for a live tile, that's too much messing about for me

Cortana is equally useless, more of a gimmick than anything else tbh, see what you think after a couple weeks of having her working

14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I've got Cortana with the Update 1 however I haven't had the time to use it (her) yet.

The one bug I've noticed so far is beats audio doesn't work until you turn it off and on. I've never cared for it as it's a gimmick and there's another time and place for Beats bashing but it does make a difference.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    cortana can be useful sometimes, when you simply want a straight answer like how old is 50 cent or adding reminders, notes and setting alarms, if she understands you of course :p but I think it needs to work without opening a fullscreen app if it wants people to use it in the first place, like if I hold down the search button just show me that little bouncy circle on a corner while I tell her what to do, and only open a results page or app if I need more info, and always on listening commands like google now, that's how a PA should work on a phone