A little help with disabling riva tuner with afterburner

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by rock1m1, Jul 25, 2014.

1. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    Hey guys,
    I apologize if it was answered already. Basically I turned on OSD from afterburner for frame rate to check on a game, after I am done riva tuner keeps on turning back on. I heard if you disable all the OSD functions of the afterburner, it will disappear. I just went through the afterburner several times, i unchecked all monitoring stuff, I don't know how to keep riva tuner from starting up.

Any ideas?

2. hopeful

hopeful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE
    Hi Rock,

While maybe a crude way to approach the situation, though you can simply rename the RTSS.exe to RTSS.ex and it won't be able to launch.

This program is probably found in the Afterburner directory under RTSS or Bundle folders.

3. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    Hey man, I actually did that thing before. I was hoping there was a reason why it was starting instead of permanently disable it.

4. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    You can disable the the RivaTuner Statistics Server by going to your MSI Afterburner installation folder and opening up the "MSIAfterburner.cfg" file with a text editor. Once it's opened search for "EnableServer" and change the "1" to a "0" and then save it.

5. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    Thanks, so after this I can't no longer use the OSD features of afterburner right? I wish there was a way to turn it off and back on when its needed. For some reason, Riva Tuner Statistics causes problems with BF4, the window is small and game loads indefinitely.

6. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    I tried to change the value and save it, it says access denied. I stopped MSI afterburner in the background.

7. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Mmm, I am using the hidden Administrator Account, maybe that's why I can edit it.

Try changing the security permissions of the file.

8. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    Ok, I found a 'Take ownership' registry hack which pretty much gives any file back to my control while searching this, haha it actually will come in handy! Thanks a lot for your help.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Simply searching the forums and disabling Origin overlay, which is causing those issues, would be much more wise solution.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I had to uninstall it due to problems the RTSS caused with BF4 for me. Uninstalled AB, reinstalled it without RTSS, and it works nicely now. Even though I technically don't even need AB, running my graphics at stock voltage and clocks.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    There was never a problem with RTSS. It's the most recent Origin update that is causing the problem. Disable Origin in game overlay and RTSS will work fine.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmm thanks, will give it a try then. Neither use RTSS or the overlay on purpose, but if I could chose between the two and only one working, I'd surely not go for any Origin crap ;)

13. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    Wow, i am sorry, I actually searched before posting this, but my search terms were poor I suppose.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Don't take it personally, that's just Unwinder....when he's not grumpy. :p

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  15. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    No problem and I totally understand the frustration. Unfortunately for me, RTSS causes some weird graphical issues if it is run on the background for me on some games, like playing splintercell blacklist or gta iv, my npc characters have white hair LMAO