Made the switch from Nvidia to Amd R9 390 but have low frame rates

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dennymoofoo, Oct 14, 2015.

1. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    Hi all. I Recently made the switch from a gtx 670 to an r9 390. I spent months being torn between that and a gtx 970 but finally settled on the 390 as it seemed faster in quite a few games and had 8gb of memory. I knew the card would draw more power but i have a 750w PSU, which is recommended so i bit the bullet. My CPU is a 3770k and i have checked and double checked and everyone is saying that even at stock (which mine is) it wont be a bottleneck.

Unigine Heaven 4.0 and 3d mark benchmarks show the card running as it should be with the benchmark scores being nearly exact to the the reviews but
    every game i play the performance just seems to be off, i have tried GTA V and where every review for the card states at near max settings at 1080p i should be able to reach 60fps but im struggling to maintain that with some quite sharp drops to 30fps even with vsync off. I have the 2 performance killing options grass to very high and reflections to very high aswell.

The worst offender however is Crysis 3. Its just a mess and doesn't even feel much faster than my gtx 670. Judging by this Eurogamer benchmark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzqsT1nzSkw at 1080p and very high i should be pushing 60fps quite easily with only minor drops into the 50's yet for some reason on the same levels i am dropping to 30fps and can barely even keep 50fps even with vsync off. These benchmarks have v-sync engaged as well.

Assassins Creed Unity also runs like ass but as i know that game is an un-optimised mess anyway i have just chalked it down to that. Strangley enough though the Witcher 3 seems to run as expected and im actually getting a very respectable framerate so i really don't know what is going on.

All of these games are being run at 1080p and i have 8gig 1600mhz of system memory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Edit: Just to add, i have set the power limit settings to +50% as well to mitigate any throttling issues and im defo not running any frame rate limiters or anything like that.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Did you clean Nvidia the drivers with DDU? If not do that and also unpark cpu cores. Also set windows to performance mode or install process lasso and ad game to game mode profile. In process lasso you can also force your game into high priority and that should help a lot.

Aslo make sure you inserted the graphics card properly and also make sure you have the latest bios

4. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Thanks for the fast reply. Yep i cleaned the driver with ddu first and removed any trace of nvidia in safe mode and then used ddu twice with the amd driver and reinstalled. Will give the 15.10 a go though as i didnt know they existed, i've been using 15.9.1b but i still think it may be a bigger issue than drivers.

5. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    All cores are unparked and windows power management set to performance.

6. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    Im on windows 10 btw

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Everything running at the correct speeds? ie. PCI-E X16 etc? (Check with GPUz)

But if benchmarks are showing the card as running as expected, I don't see why benchmarks would run fine, but games not

8. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    I know, it really doesn't make sense. The one thing i have noticed with gpu-z is that the pcie link speed shows 1.1 when mine is 3.0 but it also states that this may be due to a power saving feature and to run the benchmark included with gpu-z. As soon as i do this it switched to pcie 3.0. Never noticed anything like that with Nvidia. Is that an AMD thing?

In the power management options in windows the pcie link state power management setting is off.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It will drop to 1.1 when idle, but if you hit the ? next the PCIE info, it will start a render test, so long as it jumps up when that's running, it's fine, if it doesn't there's your problem

EDIT - just re-read your post, yea that's fine so long as it jumps up to 3.0 during the test, and not just an AMD thing, it's for all cards

10. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Yeah that's what i mean. As soon as i do the render test it jumps to 3.0.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Bit stumped, if there was a problem somewhere, you'd see it in benchmarks and games, not one or the other

Tried reinstalling said games since changing GPUs?

12. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

No i haven't but Crysis 3 was installed after the graphics card was in. Im wondering wether it may just be windows 10. It was installed through the upgrade instead of a clean install. Quite tempted to dual boot windows 7 as well just to see if games like Crysis 3 are slower in windows 10. Is there any way to do a clean install of windows 10, if it was installed through the upgrade?

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  14. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Ah awesome, didn't know that. Thanks for that :)

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    What are your gpu usage numbers and temps?

Monitor resolution?

Not crazy about your PSU.

17. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    Another thing i wanted to check. With my PSU, even though its 750w the 390 requires 50amps on the 12v rail. My PSU has 2 12v rails both rated at 35amps each. Is this ok? Is the maximum amps calculated by combining the 2? Just wondered if this is where my issue stems from.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Which model PSU is it? Not the one in your specs (850W?)

19. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock

Well just running the gpu-z render test and games the gpu and memory clocks hit full speed fine, gpu load hovers around 80 to 100% most of the time, temps reach around 75°c. Monitor resolution is 1080p.

20. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    No those specs are an old PC. My PSU is 750w and its a novatech PSU so not exactly a gold standard.