Mass Effect driver problems.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KevRus, Aug 13, 2008.

1. KevRus

KevRus New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512 (G92)
    I can't seem to get Mass Effect to run with any of the newer 177.xx drivers.

I've tried 177.39, 177.79, and the new 177.83 WHQLs with no luck.

175.19 work fine, but anything else and I get a GPF right after launching the game.

Is anyone else having problems? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm okay with sticking with the 175.19s but I'd really like to take advantage of the new PhysX drivers.

2. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    Yap, me.

I think (and believe) it is a mass effect problem.
    The game as such has A LOT of BUGS, a looooooot (crasing back to windows after 30 minutes, etc.).
    You just have to watch whats going on the bioware forums.
    But since i have the new drivers (177.79 and 177.83) it won't even start. I get a error message at start (No BSOD, just error, sometime Game error window, sometimes windows error window).

By the way: mass effect uses Unreal Egine 3, like UT3, Bioschock, Rainbow six vegas 1 and 2.
    Well these 4 games are running VERY well on my system with 177.83 and new physx 8.08.01. (as well as other games like CRYSIS, which are running just fine without crash).
    So PLEASE don't give me answers like: "it's running well for me" or "you should reinstall drivers" or "you need greater PSU" or "underlock your CPU or RAM".

3. KevRus

KevRus New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512 (G92)
    ^Sounds like we have the exact same problem.

BioShock runs fine for me with the new drivers as well.

Also, the fact that the 175.19 drivers work leads me to believe it has to be a Mass Effect issue and not a hardware issue.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

4. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    have you guys tried patching mass effect? working fine for me with 177.83 on vista x64 using lastest mass effect patch and bring down the sky content

5. KevRus

KevRus New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512 (G92)
    ^Yup, I have the "patch."

It didn't do much for me except mess up my sound for a while. :p

6. pceric

pceric New Member

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT Sonic
    Mass Effect is rock solid for me on Vista 64 with all three of those drivers.

Please note that Mass Effect has multiple layers of DRM and any non-official patch (no DVD, etc) will cause it to crash every couple of mins.

7. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Working fine here both with 177.79 and .83

Did you try by any chance to set it to very low resolution/settings via its launcher ?

8. Carl Harris

Carl Harris Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTX 758MB SLi
    Have been playing Mass effect fine with all the drivers listed above. With the new PhysX drivers it runs great, with no stuttering at all.

Got point above about the DRM

9. KevRus

KevRus New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512 (G92)
    I've been putting off installing XP SP3 for a while now so I'll see if that magically fixes the problem.

BTW, I have a legit retail copy of Mass Effect.

I've tried all low settings and I still crash at the launcher screen. The game doesn't even start.

10. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Could you check if the game creates a crash log in its folder ?

Have you tried resetting the nvidia driver properties to its default and just use the option within the game ?

Have you got any application to force a certain refresh ?

..Should I keep the e6600 or upgrade to e8600 ?... ah no this is not relevant :)

11. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    I don't have Vista, but XP Sp3.
    Yes crash log (dmp file) is there
    and again: "reset your nvidia drivers" or "very low setting" won't hep the game to start...
    and the referesh rate is max 60 fps (like every game)

By the way: KevRus and me, we both have: XP SP3, we both have intel chip boards, bth have the newer Core 2 Duo and Core 2 quad CPUs, the G92 chip gefroce 8 based cards

12. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    creshing here also... XP sp3... disabling Nvidia Physix did not help..

13. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    I've been playing ME on XP SP3 with various drivers and now on Vista also with various drivers and have not had one single crash.... this was before any patches and also now with the patches, I think it might be some kind of conflict with another hardware component.....

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    177.83 here, XP x86 sp3, game starts, altho idk if it goes well (no time to test xD) finished it alrdy @ 2months ago

15. rushniem

rushniem Member

GPU:
    NVDIA ATI 5970
    I play with 175.16 with no problem.
    But for 177.xx, I can play only 5 mins then crash!
    It crash when in-game scene present or DVD loading.

16. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Could it be that the security code in your computers registry is somehow corrupted ?
    I know i know, this should not have anything to do with changing drivers...
    but would you mind trying to get from gamecopyworld.com the executable that let's you play without DVD ?

just to try... :/

17. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Mass Effect has always run flawless for me with all the drivers I've used. Currently using 177.83 .

18. scratch42069

scratch42069 Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC 512MB
    Same here, no Mass Effect problems at all with 177.83. I had the occasionally crash before the BDTS addon was released but those were game issues not driver issues.

19. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    The ONLY drivers I've been able to play Mass Effect with for longer than a few seconds are the 169 series (169.44 specifically). With those I'm good for 30 minutes at a time, depending on what quality I set the game to. I suspect a memory leak or something similar. Had the same problems on my old system and the only thing that's the same now is the OS and video card.

20. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    It's not going to be a memory leak in the game if everyone else has the same version without issue like many of us do. The fact that your video card is the same might be an indicator... With only 320mb of ram that card would be sluggish depending on the settings with the U3 engine, have you tried dialing down the texture quality setting and seeing if there is an improvement?