Looking to get a 'good' 1st DSLR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by DraZor, Jul 23, 2014.

1. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hey guys,

Just recently been to Thailand and Japan for a month and decided to get a $200 Canon (SX500 IS) whilst in the airport on the way so we could capture a few memories.

I got quite into taking the pictures after a couple hundred or so and realized that when I got back and opened them up on my PC, that I should've gone for a more decent (if not much better) camera due to the poor image quality in any lighting situation that wasn't flooded with sunlight.

Now it was probably my terrid shooting skills some of the time and also the fact that I left it on auto 100% of the time (another thing I realized when I got back :)).

So, yes, I really do not have any Idea how to use anything but auto on a camera but photography has all of a sudden, since this trip, interested me alot to the point where I'd like to invest in a good DSLR for the 1st time.

I was looking at the EOS 6D and also 600D but TBH I have no clue whether It'd be better going for the way pricier 6D or if I'd be sweet with the 600.

I'll be shooting a lot at night and wanting to zoom and close-up shoot also so I spose I'll need something more in the pricey region of DSLRs?

What do you guys think?

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I think if you are just starting out then a 6D is a hell of alot of cash to spend on a first DSLR -especially seeing as you have never been out of auto.

I'd get something like a 600D/650D and invest in some decent quality glass to go with it. The 600D has everything you need to get you started imo.

I started with a 300D a number of years ago and it took me a while before I had mastered it enough to want an upgrade, and a 600D will be way better than that was.

A question - what will you be shooting at night? If you are doing low light photography then a tripod is a worthwhile investment. In terms of zooming/close up thats more to do with the lens than the camera itself. Are you talking about macro photography, or do you just mean you want a telezoom for something like portraits etc?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    depending on what you want to shoot at night... if it's slow shutter stuff (architecture, cityscapes etc) get any entry level DSLR and start shooting with the stock lens. Tripod will be a must. to shoot a brilliant cityscape at night is cheap, gear wise, any entry level camera with kit lens will do just fine.

Now if you want to shoot off tripod and moving objects, I suggest you get something with good ISO control and invest all the remaining money in one good fast lens. I'm talking f/1.8 or lower.

4. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Ok thanks yes was wondering whether the 6D would be too pricey to start off with.

Specifically, I don't know what I'd be shooting in low light/at night but I could generally say anything really.

I'd probably be mostly doing landscape shots and portraits but I'd love to be able to zoom too.

Thanks, do you have any recommendations for the camera? EOS 600D?

I saw in one video a guy changing his settings while in live view for the 6D, whilst the Nikon D600 he was comparing it to required an exit from live view, change of settings then a return to live view which looked bloody annoying.

Does the EOS 600D have live view setting changes too do you guys know by any chance?

Thanks again.

5. Dingleberrydad

Dingleberrydad Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 x3
    Long ago and far away (decades) I was into photography and am now getting back into it. In addition to the "basics" of wanting to take quality pics in a variety of situations (nature, portrait, macro, sports, etc) I also need to take high-quality video...and I'm not lugging around a dslr and camcorder.

The "toughest" requirements I have are to take rapid fire stills and video of sporting events, indoor and outdoor, with the quality to provide feedback to the athletes on technique (gymnastics, shotput/discus/javelin) and team play/tactics (basketball, soccer).

I recently picked up a Canon 70D (the new AF system was a big seller for me). As others mentioned, the glass you get is, assuming the camera performs to a minimum threshold, even more important. For my uses, there's a couple of lenses (in addition to what I have) that I'm looking at...which will cost another $1,500 to $2,000.

Bottom-line it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Based on what you mentioned a 6D is way overkill. A 600D (I think that's a T3i in the US) or a 700D (a T5i in the US) is plenty and invest the money in good glass (which is relatively to sale if you decide the whole photo thing isn't for you).

PS A decent tripod is a "must" for your night shots.

6. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    There's really no reason to get a T5i or whatever the **** number they're using now, it's basically the same camera as the T1i. a T3i is plenty and is about as new as the current one.

You can get a 6D off ebay for like 400 more than a 70D (sometimes bhphoto also has a deal like this).

60D is still plenty good.

7. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I was also looking at the 100D - versus the 600D, what are you guy's thoughts?

8. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Just get the cheapest camera that has everything you need. If there are "pre loved" or "used" shops nearby that offer some sort of warranty than get that. I would suggest to start off with an old 500D, it's cheap and will have everything you need to get you to the point where you actually know what it is you want from a DSLR and maybe even longer. To me at least it's a good starting point.

Just remember!!

There is no camera that takes the best photos! It 90% down to you and 10% down to the cost of your lens! Also, kit lenses are pretty basic, but they are still lenses and they still fit cameras that take photos. So get one and see which focal lengths fit you best.

9. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Thanks for the help guys.

I decided to go with the 700D with the 18-55 and 55-250 STM lenses - should be more than enough I gather :), cannot wait.

Got a 4-5 year warranty too.