Headache 6800 to quadro 4000

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Reaversword, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800UltraOC 256MB AGP @ QFX4000
    Good info. I hope I remember to come back and read this thread when it's time to set up RAID and partitions!
    Can you think of any motherboard BIOS settings that could have an impact? There are too many settings to report here ahead of time. How about the video (card) BIOS? Can that be updated or tweaked?

2. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Member

GPU:
    Hopefully there is a utility that will hold affinity settings from session to session, but not run in the background the rest of the time. I'll have to hunt one down.

3. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Member

GPU:
    Going from 1GB to 2GB had a 1.5 - 2 % improvement in performance. My motherboard automatically switches to Dual Channel with two DIMMS, so was it the extra RAM, Dual Channel, or both that had the effect?

Removing the background image had no effect on performance.

4. THE JEW (RaVeN)

THE JEW (RaVeN) Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GT softmodded to Quadro

Interesting hypothesis.

5. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    RaVeN- there is one way to found out, risky though.

Slartibartfast - I'd say both. Dual channel is faster and 2GB RAM means your PC has twice the room to move data really fast. RAM upgrades always help as it is so much faster than a HDD. You do notice the effects more with certain applications though. My PC is running a lot better since I got 2GB. No slow downs now when it is confronted with some gnarly processing. It sort of feels like or gives me the impression that it's running near it's peak. Though if I won Lotto and could afford a P4EE or setup a couple waterblocks it might run a bit faster. I usually do a complete backup and reinstall every 6 months at least which seems to keep things running well. I don't really tweak much anymore, just the pagefile and install programs, games,media and documents in their own partitions to keep C: from getting too fragmented. I think my PC runs better since I stopped tweaking so much. When I first got WinXP I had to reinstall nearly every week to fortnight 'cause I would do something stupid (like change the boot screen to a .JPG when it said use only .BMP) and stuff the installation.

6. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Indeed there is, setaffin does the job fine. Just stick that in the same folder as any application you want to limit to CPU0, and run it instead of the application's executable, with the application's executable passed as a parameter. The only limitation is it always sets the affinity of the app it runs to CPU0, you can't have it set it to CPU1. The real purpose of it is for those games (of which there are many) and other apps which malfunction on dual-processor systems, not for putting one app on one core and another app on the other core. But like I said, all serious professional rendering apps are multi-threaded anyway so you wao't want to restrict them to one core as you'll only make things slower.

7. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Member

GPU:
    Yeah, I think I would only put the non-critical stuff onto CPU1. At least it wouldn't get in the way on both processors. I know that the latest nvidia drivers are now being optimized for dual core processors, so the ViewPerf team will have to standardize their test to prevent such hidden optimizing.

8. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Member

GPU:
    Some cards can be modified to even fool the OS into thinking that you have a Quadro. Check this thread (post 11), and this thread (post 13) with info from AlecRyben (ancient guru). I have modded a 6800 Ultra into a Quadro FX 4000, so I can confirm this. Now although I am able to use RealView in SolidWorks, I see no difference in the display with RealView on. Can anyone point me to some examples that would show off RealView?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  9. okayturtle

okayturtle New Member

Welp I guess I am going to get a 6800gt agp card. I'm really into solidworks now and would love the faster speed of a fully modded card. Any suggestions on a decent rig?? I was thinking of an MSI neo2 and a dual core opteron =)
    ... anybody want to to buy my system A8N32-SLI, eVGA 6800gt, and OCZ PC-4000 Platinum EB OC'd to 280!!!

10. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    MSI Neo2 is a good board, it does have a small fault with the 4-pin plug for CPU power. Sometimes the plug makes bad contact to the motherboard. My little plug is a bit blackened from arching due to the poor contact so I had to squash the little metal bits so they fitted onto the pins tighter with trusty needle nose pliers. Could save you from the plastic getting black and brittle on that little 4 pin 12v plug. They have hopefully fixed that with latest revisions though and maybe they've changed to the new SATA plugs too as the old ones can be knocked out of place easy when you are fiddling in the case. Could have better BIOS features like memory ratios also, though the overclocking settings for FSB are alright. Great value board though and that's the only problems I've struck. With SATA RAID, 8xAGP, 5.1 sound with coax + optical out,FireWire, USB 2 and 1GB networking MSI Neo2 Platinum (865PE Neo2-PFISR) is a steal, there could be better AGP boards though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006

11. Reaversword

Reaversword Member

GPU:
    gforce Asus6800gt/td & Newtek5900 ultra
    Wow!. Lot of time that I don`t go for here!. This thread is much bigger than I imagine when I do it!. I feel the daddy of this... A Greeting to all!.

12. psy_parasite

psy_parasite Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950x2 OC
    Here are my results after the mod.
    athlon64 3200(venice) oc'd to 2.5ghz
    1 gig ocz plat 3200 rev.2
    msi neo2 plat
    leadtek 6800GT 256meg
    winxp sp2
    81.67 quadro drivers from nvidia.com
    x-fi xtreme music

Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 43.16

---------- SUM_RESULTS\CATIA\SUMMARY.TXT
    catia-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 32.83

---------- SUM_RESULTS\ENSIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    ensight-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 28.61

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-07 Weighted Geometric Mean = 26.49

---------- SUM_RESULTS\MAYA\SUMMARY.TXT
    maya-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 72.29

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 52.47

---------- SUM_RESULTS\SW\SUMMARY.TXT
    sw-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 31.20

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-04 Weighted Geometric Mean = 35.51

13. Reaversword

Reaversword Member

GPU:
    Ey!. In serius. The most advanced driver that i can use are 71.84, If I put yours (psy_parasite), the openGL settings don´t appear to me.
    Have you done something to the driver with RivaTuner?.
    C'mon, Anyone can solve me this doubt?!.

Thanks for all

14. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    psy_parasite - Thanks for posting those benchies. Thanks to all who posted info, very helpful.
    Special thanks to Reaversword for starting the thread and posting the info. I'm going to have a go modding my card again and if I come up with anything helpful I'll post it. I need to back up again so it may take awhile.

Update - the 4 pin plug on the 12v lead for CPU on my MSI 865PENeo2 MB burnt out due to a poor contact I guess. I fixed it with a temporary fix until I get another plug (hopefully tomorrow). I won't be able to do any BIOS flash on the 6800GT till I get the power fixed properly but I can still mess around with drivers fairly confidently.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  15. Reaversword

Reaversword Member

GPU:
    Ok AnthraxPants. I need read all an put myself at day to day and try help us. Good luck!, and if you can install post driver to 71.84 tell me how!!

16. psy_parasite

psy_parasite Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950x2 OC
    no i simply followed the steps posted. no modifation to the drivers at all. seems to be running very smooth so far, no problems....."yet". a few months back i tried the mod and had quite a bit of crashing in maya.. but so far no problems.

17. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Member

GPU:
    Reaversword, the results that I posted recently were using 81.98 drivers, using your instructions! I did not try the latest Quadro certifed drivers, but 81.98 recognizes Quadro with OpenGL as well.

18. Reaversword

Reaversword Member

GPU:
    Ok ok, I don´t understand why with some drivers laters to 71.84 opengl settings dissapear me. I´m gonna try with 81.19/81.67/81.98 I will tell how all is goining.
    A Greeting to all.

I Need to follow my own steps! I'm gonna crazy mans!. xD

19. aleix

aleix Member

GPU:
    saphire 3870. 8GB ram

Thanks for the advice, but I guess I'm a step ahead of this recommendation. I'm aware I can mod my card, that's not the point. The point was my hypothesis, and nobody reply yet to it. I will try again.
    By the way now I have a Leadtek 6800 GT Agp 256.
    About this solidworks bug...I can tell you to check this link and you will see the difference. With my previous 6800gt i was also able to turn this realview option in solidworks, but unfortunatly didn't make any difference.
    http://www.solidworks.com/pages/partners/Nvidia/Nvidia.html

Thats the hypothesis I am proposing: (please can somebody confirm it?

I asked before if it was better to softmod or hardmod. I got recomendations to softmod since it is more flexible....(i can use apps and games).

but...

What if I move the resisotors to Quadro position and not modify bios?
    Then the OS will still detect Geforce but after installing Rivatuner the geforce will will mod to quadro. Then those "CAD/DCC" will check this PCI Device ID (phisically) and will detect a quadro, not geforce, which will allow those extra features. Ex: realview(solidworks), texture correction (maya,3dmax...)etc,
    That will give flexibility using it for games when needed but also as fully Quadro card (even though that means double operating system installation). (I read that modifying bios, to a quadro version, could give problems in several games...and by the way I couldn't find any PNY bios anywhere. I know there is a Dell which has to be modified again to open some pipes).

Is that hipotesis correct?

If it's correct what I'm saying then the optimum "Quadro mod" solution would be:
    - Modifying resistors.
    - Installing latest drivers from nvidia
    - Install Riva tuner and unlock professional capabilities.
    - Reinstall latest drivers from nvidia.

Looking forward

20. rui0317

rui0317 Master Guru

GPU:
    5900XT to QuadroFX3000
    I had posted my reply (#35 in this thread), I hope that may help :)