Computex 2017 Scoop: ASRock X299 Motherboard Galore

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 29, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASRock certainly is ballsy, they figured they could show one X299 motherboard, but no, below the fold photos of the ASRockX299 Gaming K6, X299 FormulaƂ*OC, X299-E ITX/AC, X299 Killer SLI/AC, X299 Prof...

Computex 2017 Scoop: ASRock X299 Motherboard Galore

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That E-ITX mainboard's a little weird... what RAM does that thing use? The same as laptops (can't recall the technical name they're called by sry)?

3. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    Yeah that's interesting alright... I guess the next big thing will be RGB SO-DIMM's lol ;)

4. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Who stole Taichi? :D

5. illLoGiQ

illLoGiQ Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 SC
    Is there a reason for more than 3 PCI-E lanes? I mean i see 4 to 5 slots here and SLI has been cut down to just 2 cards in this current gen. Seems like overkill and a waste of money to me unless you have like 4 RX 480's already or you have more than 3 last gen AMD/Nvidia cards laying around what's the point really? That ITX board is nice though, I'm a one graphics card gamer now, that sli and crossfire hype broke my bank back in the day when i first started building PC's. Now i just like it simple, small powerful motherboard, powerful cpu and one PCI-E slot preferably or 2 at the most.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess it's a bit of a relict of old days, yes. But on the other hand, 2 GPUs and 2 NVMe SSDs are probably going to be somewhat a thing in the future, not sure though.

7. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    There are reasons to have more than 2 GPUs other than gaming, such as 3D rendering, compute workloads like transcoding, or video editing/processing. So while you don't put more than 2 in SLI/CF, there's a reason to want 3 or 4 cards if you have the right workload.

There's also the fact that you can use the extra slots for other high bandwidth uses - MSI is including an x8 card that has two m.2 PCIe slots on it (for a total of 5 slots on the board it's bundled with), and you could theoretically put four of them in a full x16 slot; heck, it probably already exists for the server market. It would cost an arm or a leg, but you could populate your PC 10+ TB of NVMe SSDs, without any bandwidth constraints like you hit on z270 with anything over one stick. Slap them into RAID 0 or even RAID10 alongside the ~100GB RAM cache you can make with the 128GB you can populate on the board and have basically zero disk wait time to load anything, ever.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That mini-ITX may have made me soil my pants.

9. Lukart

Lukart Active Member

GPU:
    Waiting for the next Gen
    When a OC-Formula for the X399, that would be awesome.