How to Get R.T.S.S 6.5.1+ to Work with Steam Overlay

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Ransom Seraph, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    How to Get RTSS On-Screen Display to work with Steam Overlay

Posting this quick tweaking guide to get Steam Overlay to work simultaneously with MSI AB's Overlay (RTSS).

Fully credited to user: pimp_gimp for posting the guide, in the first place, on a separate thread. Thank you. Extra thanks to Unwinder

Note 1: You won't be able to save the changes on step 6-7, due to permission limitations. The easiest way to get this done is to go around and bypass the restriction, like this:
    A. location the Global config file.
    B. copy Global into a separate folder (docs, downloads, etc.) or your desktop
    C. open the copied Global, and proceed to steps 4-7. Edit the file and save.
    D. finally, copy the now tweaked Global back into RivaTuner Statistics Server > ProfileTemplates folder. Confirm and replace.

Note 2: After the adding "GameOverlayRenderer64.dll" the tweaked line should appear like so:
    InjectionDelayTriggers = IGO64.dll,GameOverlayRenderer64.dll

Confirmed to work with version 6.5.0, 6.5.1.
    Should work with future versions.

Enjoy, hope this helps!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    This will continue to work in future versions. Also on step 4, rather than copy the Global file to your desktop, just set Notepad/Wordpad to always run as administrator.

IF you are not sure how to do that follow these guides,

Windows 10: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3436-run-administrator-windows-10-a.html

Windows 8/8.1: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9564-run-administrator-windows-8-a.html

Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html

Hope that helps!

3. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    Hey pimp_gimp, thanks for jumping in!
    You know I actually already tried the steps in Step 8, before posting this, and it doesn't actually work, here's why:
    The problem is that the change to "always run as administrator" does not affect the Context Menu Notepad (Right click > Open With... > Notepad).

With Windows 10, I press on Start > type Note > find Notepad > right click on Notepad > But this is just the notepad shortcut I then pick the 2nd option out of 4 -Open file location.
    Now if you look closely - this is actually just the shortcut of notepad - you can right click on it > Properties > Shortcut > Advanced > Set to "Run as Administrator".
    However, this only means that if you search Notepad in the start menu, and open it up, it will open as Admin by default (will open a blank white notepad).
    The issue is that when you open Notepad through the context menu (In our case: Right Click on the "GLOBAL" file in RTSS > Open with > More Apps > Notepad) - the Notepad that will open the Global file - will be standard permission notepad. Apparently the context menu notepad doesn't count as a shortcut notepad, hence why the tweak doesn't work here.

Also if you go into the Windows>System32 folder and try to apply the Tweak to Notepad.exe - there is no "shortcut" tab.
    Running Windows 10 latest (Anniversary) Version, mind you.

The only other "simple" solution, that I can think of is:
    Search Notepad in Start > right click >Open as Administrator (will open a blank notepad) > File > Open... > then navigate to RTSS folder and find the Global file and open it up. This will open the Global file remotely with Admin permission.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong, and re-check this, let me know exactly if you manage to set the Context Menu (Right Click > Open with >More apps > Notepad) to Admin by default and how.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You probably can with a registry edit. I'm sure there's guides somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

5. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    True, though I wanted it to be simple, registry-free, thus the two solutions I've offered. Thanks either way.

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Holding the "shift" key was the easiest way. But it seems that the Win32 and XAML Frankenstein of a GUI still has issues. When you select the option open in Notepad as administrator the XAML screen still pops up asking what program you want to use. I think that until MS gets their act together and fixes these stupid GUI issues, the only way to get notepad to run as admin is the shortcut.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016