Nvidia responds to AMD's ''free sync'' demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Spets, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_responds_to_amd_freesync.html

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    4K Monitor with G-Sync

If anyone missed it, 4k monitor running G-Sync:
    http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...-Shows-Modified-ASUS-PQ321Q-4K-Monitor-G-Sync

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This para is a bummer about FreeSync :(

Edit: the comments on that site are interesting. Apparently Displayport 1.3 capable monitors will have all this fancy stuff built in so Gsync won't be of much value in the long run.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And that is why I no longer buy nVidia GPUs. I do not want to support business model which intentionally locks everything they make on multi-vendor platform.

And telling things like: "It does not exists because we don't know anyone who make it.", or that "feature like variable refresh is nearly impossible to implement on a desktop monitor as things now stand" is like saying: "competitors effort is certainly going to fail".

I would AMD let to do their part with VESA as always. And all of us will benefit in the end.
    AMD users with nice feature to have and nVidia users with add-in cards cheaper than now as nVidia will be forced to lower price.

But as some of legit reviews already stated, G-Sync looks amazing in comparison to classical 60Hz, but is only minor to no improvement against 120Hz+ displays.
    And honestly who would invest to 144Hz screen to play at 50fps?

One day we will have Oled with real 0.001ms refresh time paired with up to 300Hz FreeSync/G-Sync and that would be real improvement.

As it stays now it has more point to have FreeSync/G-Sync on low Hz screens as it has very high benefit for them and in combination with laptops it's ideal.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    On freesync we have to wait till we know which displays have it and which do not. But at least it should be a standard on 1.3 then? Cause that makes all kinds of difference when I am in near future looking for UHD 10bit displays again :D

6. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Don't Korean monitors not have this scalar chip, due to there being only 1 input?

Tried to find the source for that information, but can't, may have imagined it.

7. lantian

lantian Guest

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Koreans (the single input ones) have a bypass board. Meaning it's gpu straight into the panel, no pcb in between. So in a way, similar to laptops, where there's nothing in between either.

9. tugCREW

tugCREW Member

GPU:
    zotac gtx 480 1.5gb SLI
    still, there's progress somehow.

10. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    There is already a specific demo or test program to download?,
    like the pendulum or that wind turbine, where?.

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Just play games and look for tearing, especially on horizontal camera/object movement:
    - tearing = v-sync off
    - minimal tearing = v-sync off and 120Hz
    - stuttering, lag, no tearing = v-sync on and <60fps
    - minimal stuttering and lag, no tearing = v-sync on, 120Hz monitor, 40-60fps
    - no stuttering, no lag visible = g-sync or v-sync with 60fps+ (even with 60fps+, vsync can add minimal lag)

12. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for useful tool for testing.

Any download links for any of these programs?

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nope

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    They are going to fail. Nvidia obviously did the research and found that the only way to make this work on desktop displays is to design and implement the G-Synch module. They even said in the interview "Nvidia's intent in building the G-Sync module was to enable this capability and thus to nudge the industry in the right direction." This direction is to have displayport 1.3 on all monitors going forward. If AMD put any effort into this at all they would have shown this off on a modern desktop PC. But no, they put something together quick to make sure everyone knew that they had this technology too.

Just as a sidenote, I walked into my local BestBuy yesterday and out of the 30-40 monitors they had on display, 2 of them had displayport inputs. Everything else is DVI/HDMI. The display industry has progressed very little in the last few years.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    don't think it's a port limitation no matter how you swing it.

16. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    It's dumb that there's not a lot of DisplayPort monitors on the market. You can get Korean 1440p monitors with DisplayPort ffs.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    can you? where? and again, where does it say free-sync/gsync is only doable via dp?

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    again, that's eDP is not display port, if we want to be accurate. most likely ran on eDP because DP is the smallest video connector so embedding a DP is a lot easier in laptops (where components have to be smaller).

I still haven't seen anything to say that this can't be done on DVI

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort )

Something about these features not being supported under DVI, HDMI or even regular Display Port 1.2 currently, thus AMD demoing this using eDP on laptop, or so I understood it. :)
    (Apparently DP 1.3 will have something like that, unsure about HDMI 2.0)

Someone else can likely give a better explanation. :)
    (I believe GSync also requires DP for now although that could likely be adapted to DVI and HDMI since it's a external controller module.)