My Gigabyte R9 390 G1 Overclock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Moegames, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Moegames

Moegames Guest

Just wanted to share some info on my overclock of my new R9 390 from Gigabyte. As most of you know, the Gigabyte R9 390's have locked voltages but I was pretty happy with the overclock regardless of it having a locked voltage. I bought this card already knowing of the locked voltages and opted for the G1 series of their R9 390's.

Anyways, I wanted to post this before i go, I won't be around to reply back as i am going out of town but for anyone interested in what a Gigabyte R9 390 G1 Edition can do even with locked voltages here you go, although some of it has to do with a per card basis, its not guaranteed every card. Also Keep in mind, i could of went further but opted to stay here and not push it any further. In fact i only did this to see what the card could do, as right now i have no desire or reason to keep it overclocked, maybe down the road i might OC it to get a bit more performance out of it but for now..no reason other than to see what i could do.

So i basically went as far as 1125mhz core/1625mhz memory with simply raising the Power Limit 10%, that's all. I left this run on GPU-Z's overclock testing for 30 minutes and played Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 and COD BOPs3 for a few hours non-stop switching between games during these few hours while keeping the card running with the OC. It's nice and stable and obviously could do a bit more but this is about as far as i feel i would want to go in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  2. BlackB

BlackB Guest

GPU:
    Msi R9 390
    nice ^^

my Msi R9 390 overclocking reaches 1175 MHz and 1650mhz with +100 mv

3. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Yeah, my msi does about the same.
    On stock voltage I can go 1150 on the gpu, but in firestrike default some screen flashes will occur. So I settled for 1135 since it's only 100 points difference in total score.

Op, I have my memory at 1600, because it yields no real benefit to set it higher and only increases heat.

But keep in mind that the power limit is only to sustain your clock settings when the card is stressed. So it wont throttle when you have vsync disabled.
    So setting it at 10% or 50% isn't a world of difference. I have mine at 50%.
    It still throttles though in witcher 3 with vsync on. But keeps the fps solid.
    It wont help you to have more stability with a higher overclock though.

But anyway, 1125 is decent for your gpu and will play games nicely :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  4. cabezhor

cabezhor Guest

Hi,I have the same board as you, G1 gigabyte R9 390, I did the same overclocking as you, but when I apply, my screen turns black, and the only way to recover it is to turn off the computer, And the overclock did not work and returns to the previous parameters. Do you have any idea why it might be? any solution?.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You may need to boost the GPU voltage a tad, like say +15mV

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Hmm, an older thread.
    Back then is much different compared to today for me.
    The newer drivers gave me more performance, however at a cost of gpu clock settings.
    If I go over 1120Mhz on the gpu I get the occasional artifact in firestrike default.
    Scores however are much better.
    Apparently the drivers have room to push the gpu further without changing clocks.

7. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    Gigabyte R9 390 G1 - had the voltage locked on the card making it more difficult to OC.
    But I heard about people doing the powerboost thing and fixing some of that.
    I don't think its exactly the same... I have put one of those cards in my nephews computer but he wont ever overclock.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Gigabyte and their crappy voltage locks are the reasons I'll never touch their cards with a ten feet pole.

9. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    I found out tweaking the voltages on the bios and flash it give the most results. I managed to pass timespy with 1200/1250 without artifacts. But yeah, for gaming need probably an aftermarket cooler and change the thermal paste on the vrms. But 1133 if capped to 60 fps i can use with no problem with for honor, an insanely demanding game for i don't know what reason, probably ubisoft bad optimization.
    SAPPHIRE R9 390 NITRO owner

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Gigabyte also is known for their VRMs to produce higher voltages/amperage than reported, and thereby leading to voltage conditioning of your components. Ran into this with a i7 920 on an EX58-UD5 motherboard, and the chip eventually required higher settings to stay stable, until it finally died after a year.

Intel replaced the CPU, which I sold off and got an i7 950, which I still have today. :)

I found out the gruesome details on why this happened when I went and worked at Asus and told this to one of the TPM's. He explained to me what happens, as we were discussing the results of the Socket2011 certification testing at Intel for the new chipset mobo's. (which btw, only Asus and MSI passed on their first try. Everyone else burned.)