Want To Edit My "msconfig startup" options?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Roger_D25, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Guys,
    I've very recently reformatted my HDD's and reinstalled WinXP. This time around I'm really trying to optimize my OS for perfomace. So far I've done a great job of this but one of my last steps is to modify my "msconfig" options so that I'm only opening the "startup" programs that are needed.

Below are two screenshots of my entire list of "msconfig startup" programs. I'd like you guys to take a look at them and let me know which ones I can do without? I don't want to un-check any programs that are needed to start windows but would like to get rid of all the programs that I could just start manually when needed! Thanks for you help guys, its much apprecaited!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just realized that the images are too small to read, I've tried to change the size of the image and also to post a different link from image shack with no luck. I'm gonna try to resize and upload the new images to Image Shack, and then repost the images here so people can read them. Sorry about this guys.....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Hold Alt when you hit print screen, then you will only get the msconfig window, and not the whole desktop.

3. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    What a great tip, I've spent the last hour trying to figure out exactly how to do what you just said, lol! I even tried to cut out just the msconfig window within mspaint and then enlarge it but it just got worse. Anyway thanks for the help stormy!

4. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    From what I can read, you can safely uncheck:

nwiz - Nvidia driver wizard
    NvMcTray - Nvidia tray panel icon
    CTSysVol - Audigy control panel
    CTHelper - Audigy help assistance
    NeroCheck
    PDVDServ - PowerDVD

Can't read too much, and don't know what the progs starting with Sa are, but you might check into what they do to see if you need them.

5. vikrant_leo

vikrant_leo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi X800 & Nvidia 7800GTOC
    I recommend you look at each item name . Search it on google to find more information about the process (You will also have an idea based on the Command it refers to). Then decide whether you want/require that process to run at startup or not. This way you will learn more about your system and also have it confgured according to your preference and not according to ours.

6. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I was finally able to post larger images of my msconfig startup options windows so that you'll see what programs are starting on my system. Thanks for your suggestion Morpheous416, it looks like unchecking those won't cause any major issues. Say for example I do uncheck those programs, does that mean that those program won't work at all, or just that I'll have to start them up manually to use them?

Also thanks for your reply vikrant_leo, you really made a good point. I have spent some time researching each of these programs but was not able to find as much info as I needed to make an informed desicion on whether or not to have them startup with Windows. I suppose the best way to do it is just through trial and error? Anyway here are a couple more screenies which are much easier to read than the other ones I posted earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  7. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    You don't need your Saitek monitor programs running at startup either.

8. vikrant_leo

vikrant_leo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi X800 & Nvidia 7800GTOC
    DKICon - Dont need Diskeeper running all the time. You can just schedule a weekly defrag