Track IR by E-Dimensional? Is it any good?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by clkProject, Oct 19, 2003.

1. clkProject

clkProject Master Guru

I've been looking at them for a while, and I must say, they are tempting... are they worth it at all?

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Yeah but if you place it on your head, what will you look when you turn left or right? :D The monitor won't come with you (Just my thoughts)

3. Lupin

Lupin Guest

I tried "Track IR" biefly at a public demonstration given at an aircraft show last year. I must say that I was quite impressed - it worked well!

4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Yeah but what happened when you needed to turn your head? (I mean i only have a 17" monitor. How well would it work with it?
    (curious)

5. Lupin

Lupin Guest

As I recall, it's not so much a matter of turning your head, but more of moving or tilting it to one side or another. Clearly if you had to actually rotate your head, you would lose sight of the monitor. It's more a case of using your head as a sort of third hand, rather than replicating real life swivelling vision. As I remember, an I.R. detector tracks a little reflective "dot" attached to a head band (or even your spectacles), such that tilting your head and shoulders to left or right will change the POV. It really did seem pretty good.