RTSS OSD no longer working

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by NJCermak, Dec 1, 2015.

1. NJCermak

NJCermak Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX970
    Over the course of the last week or two I noticed that the RTSS OSD was no longer showing up in any of my games. The ONLY 3d process it works with anymore is the GPU-Z render test (to test PCI-E lane speeds). I've tested games that I know, 100% positive, worked not long ago at all. I have not installed any additional software in that time. All of my settings (RTSS and MSI Afterburner) remain unchanged. What could have caused this? Are there any logs I could take a look at? A quick directory search yielded nothing.

The only odd thing I noticed is that when I hit the 'i' button on the main Afterburner GUI, under 'Active 3D process', is a program I use called 'OpenDNSinterface.exe'. I added that program to RTSS' profile list and set application detection level to none. However, it still shows up under active 3d processes [EDIT: After closing software, it no longer is detected by Afterburner] Any game I try to launch does not show up on that list.

Any ideas? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

[EDIT]
    Just tinkering more around with it, I also noticed that taking screenshots isn't working correctly. It now will take a screenshot, but only of the desktop (not the game). Game is running in fullscreen mode.

[EDIT #2]
    Okay, what's going on? FRAPS isn't working in any of my games either. So there must be something wrong with my OS/software conflict?

[EDIT #3]
    RTSS works with Unigine Heaven Benchmark D3D9, D3D11 and OpenGL APIs. So that and GPU-Z render test work. However any actual games don't seem to get hooked into.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    If you enter a name as exception in RTSS (by setting the detection level to none) it won't show up in active 3D processes. I'd check the spelling and that it was indeed that .exe that you set the detection level for.

Taking screenshots (or capturing video) depends on the same hooking that OSD does, so it would follow that those won't work either.

3. NJCermak

NJCermak Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX970
    Yeah, I edited that part after the initial post. After exiting and re-starting that particular process, it no longer showed up in 3d active processes.

But, overall, why would RTSS work with Unigine Heaven benchmark and GPU-Z render test... but no actual games that worked 100% perfectly just a couple weeks ago? I'm assuming it's a software conflict somewhere... just can't think of what it could be. I have Hwinfo64 hooking into RTSS, but I've tried it without and it still doesn't work. I don't have any D3D shader programs (ReShade, SweetFX, etc) running on the games I've been testing.

Alas, thanks for the response.

4. dsr07mm

dsr07mm Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980Ti G1 6GB
    Same here. Doesnt works with most of the games including Just Cause 3 (Rust, Dayz and couple more). Although it still runs with some older games.

Fraps works but I preffer all numbers there for benchmark. Both RTSS and HWiNFO doesnt work :(

5. Valkyrie743

Valkyrie743 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 1080 FTW
    made a video a few days ago on how to get just cause 3 to work with RTSS
    https://youtu.be/a_VVctVZ038

should work with dayz or rust if those games use nvidia gameworks like just cause 3 does.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  6. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    You haven't globally enabled some option in RTSS such as "Custom Direct3D support", have you?

Maybe try resinstalling both Afterburner and RTSS *without* saving settings? Make not of your important settings first so you can re-enter them later - after you have first tested whether it works without those settings. Especially note any .exes you have entered as exceptions in RTSS.

7. NJCermak

NJCermak Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX970
    No, I don't have that option enabled in global options. I've been using vector 2d via viewport. Which seems to be the option with the highest compatibility in the past. I've tried all of the options, though, and nothing works.

And I've tried re-installing (clean installs) both RTSS and Afterburner with no success. I think there's something wrong with my software environment and or OS since even FRAPS doesn't work in my games either. I was thinking that maybe there's a conflict with Nvidia geforce experience? Since there's now a share overlay that's activated with 3d applications.

[EDIT] Nevermind with Nvidia geforce experience. I deactivated all non-essential nvidia services and RTSS still doesn't work. Granted, I might need to do a clean uninstall with DDU and re-install without Geforce experience at all. But I think that's grasping at straws.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  8. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    I have this same problem since update to Win10. No OSD in game or even with Unigine Valley

9. Slippery

Slippery Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/1080 GTX ACX3
    Thank God I found this thread. I thought it was just me. I have gone all the way to clean install Win 10 Pro 64 bit with just chipset drivers, vid drivers(w/o anything but the vid drivers) and fresh install of steam and team fortress 2. I only use AB for vid temp, fan speed and % vid loaded.
    The game feezes at the menu. The executable is running, sound works, vid is frozen. The only workaround that works is to drop dxlevel down to 8.1.
    I don't find anyone else who describes a similar set of circumstances. So, I just don't use the OSD at all. Sigh:bang: Everything was perfect after upgrade to Win 10 RTM build 10240. This started right after I got upgraded to TH2 10586. PS: I also did clean installs of all versions of Ab.