No more mobile GPU overclocking - has Nvidia gone insane?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by iaTa, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Good on them. It's nice to make sure a company is actually listening. And this didn't quite get mainstream yet. Which probably was the point of changing it sooner vs later, lol. If you can't fix the 970 might as well do this as an olive branch. It's something.

2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  3. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Super happy right now, still on the old one drivers but now i don't have to fiddle around with my vbios anymore. Like i tested these days with 1300/5800, worked but still.

4. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Good news, I signed this petition also so I'm very happy to hear nvidia are listening to their users :)

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Wow good stuff, was not expecting that news from nvidia.

6. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Well, a petition I signed actually got somewhere!

Good news all round! I hope they release a new driver soon - my 970M is already a beast and I still have some thermal headroom!

7. JaaritLal

JaaritLal Guest

GPU:
    GT 840M
    wow!!1 petition, blew nvidia away . thanks guru3d,thanks members,thanks haters,thanks petition signers. we will get back overclocking. wow :)

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    More likely to have been social media complaints than a change petition, don't think Ive ever seen change petitions do anything

9. WontonNoodle

WontonNoodle Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 3070M
    Amazing, thanks for listening Nvidia!

10. pekka

pekka Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX580twin frozr PE
    well i for one will stand f what i said no more Nvidia cards in my laptops or PC´s that´s just the way things are Nvidia has screwed up on too many times this ithe way i choose now on Radeon will be the card of my choise

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    You'll hardly find sticking with just one brand do you any good. I'm personally waiting for any chance to jump back to Nvidia if AMD still can't get their driver development back on schedule.

As for the overclocking business, it sounds great that it's back.

12. iaTa

iaTa Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M
    Prema from Tech|Inferno Forums has just discovered that Nvidia has begun shipping new GTX 9xxM cards with a vBIOS that completely blocks core overclocking.

It looks as though overclocking will soon be a thing from the past regardless of the driver used.

[​IMG]

http://forum.techinferno.com/genera...t-overclocking-mobile-gpus-12.html#post124474

First overclocking is taken away from us, then we are told we are getting it back. Now we discover it's being taken away permanently, even when using overclockable drivers.

#WTFnvidia!

Sign the petition: https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-...geforce-equipped-notebooks?recruiter=20925400

13. Ac30

Ac30 Member

GPU:
    860m GTX
    ^Glad to see nVIDIA solved the problem, old consumers are placated and the new ones can't complain because it was never advertised in the first place. Win/win for nVidia.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah, wtf indeed. I was almost all 'aww, nvidia's down to earth'.

I'm hopping this was done before the announcement to allow overclocking? It's not like they would restock to reverse a decision they made before the bad PR.
    It might just be momentary then the unlocked BIOS's come back as the norm.

Or it might be that NVidia provides OEM's with the choice of BIOS, locked or unlocked, depending on what they want.

At least you can flash it, drivers tend to provide more important support then the BIOS does. Still the fact they are being obstructionist is dumb, IMO.

15. skunksmash

skunksmash Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970 + GTX260
    ive managed to squeeze this out so far..... temps are pretty good so i'll probably push for more... cooling on the new AW 15 is fantastic!!

[​IMG]

hopefully my 980m will remain unlocked..??

16. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    I honestly don't get all the outrage?

Nvidia did not say "no more mobile gpu overclocking"; what they said was that they were removing a bug that allowed overclocking through drivers, which is very different, and so the topic is highly misleading.

Last time I oc'd a card through drivers I had to use coolbits. Don't recall getting pissed about it.

17. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah you don't get it. Nvidia locked out mobile GPU overclocking in its drivers which also affected third party OC software since they interact with the driver via NVAPI.

18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    No I can sum this up for you guys very easily- The owners Butt-hole got a taste of money now hes just full of greed, Its not enough they are leading the graphics industry and hes probbly making Billions of dollars, he needs to double those billions in order to be in the elite club!? What bs this really is!

I might even go back to Amd if this kinda stuff keeps happening,I am getting tired of it.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    There's a reason why this thread was dead for months. Overclocking was restored in the drivers for mobile GPUs months ago.... in May.

20. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    This thread should be closed before more people think this is something new.